Engine sounds when revving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my friend drove through flooded streets due to rains...

The water levels was considerably high, above bumpers...

My friend is complaining of engine noise from his car, however it has been 2 days since rainfall. [he noticed this yesterday, because he didnt drive at all after rains]

The car sounds like its old when he revs.

What can it be?

Look at the oil. If water got in the oil it would cause problems for the engine. Also water may have gone into the transmission or axles.

If the car sounds like its old, I imagine it just yells at kids to "get off my lawn!"

My car is like 15 years old, it sounds like a normal engine to me.. Is the engine knocking or making a clicking soud? What kind of car and what year? It is possible if water was deep enough it got into the crankcase.. If he thinks this is the case... I wouldn't drive it and I'd change the oil ASAP.

I don't think its good practice to drive in water bumper high unless you absolutely have too..

Last edited:
Sounds like damp in the electrics to me, possibly slight misfire is what the OP means by sounding old

If it was water in the cylinders the engine would have seized already as water doesn't compress.

Not sure how water could contaminate the oil, but I suppose if it had done so perhaps the hydraulic tappets could be slightly noisy

I still put my ten pence on damp in electrics

Time for some wd40

Solid little car.

Lets just hope it is nothjng more than water in the electrics.

A mate drove his 730ld into water during the recent floods in the UK. Unlit road and he little time to react just managed to scrubb off a little speed.

That ingested water an siezed instantly.

Estimate could be £10k.

Car is 2 yrs old with 70k and was the MD of BMW UK company carvfkr first six month so is well optioned.

Must be worth an easy £30k still hopefully so hopefully the Insurancs will repsir rather than write it off.

Water in exhaust might have ruined cat and or muffler. If he got water in oil, it may not show on dipstick. Did water get inside the car when you drove it in flood?

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Water in exhaust might have ruined cat and or muffler. If he got water in oil, it may not show on dipstick. Did water get inside the car when you drove it in flood?

I'm thinking the thermal shock from the cat (if it has one) hitting the water did in a heat shield or maybe some piping.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: toneydoc

I'm thinking the thermal shock from the cat (if it has one) hitting the water did in a heat shield or maybe some piping.

This is possible. Even just dunking them can cause stresses and rattles result.

And there's always water inside a cat until it is hot, as it cools water condenses in it just like it does in your muffler.

IF it were a 'mild' form of hydrolock caused rod knock due to water ingestion, the engine would have stalled out in the water he forded.

So hopefully, it is NOT that.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Originally Posted By: sgvaibhav
The car sounds like its old when he revs.

What's a car sound like when it's old?

Thats a new one it sounds old?
Not sure how to describe that.

Sounds just like our high miles (150k) Silverado 5.3 here recently. Driver complained of a rattly startup, said the lifters were ticking.

Upon inspection it was the driver's side cat, it eventually got quite loud.

Mufflers do the same thing at high miles sometimes, others last forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back