Generac oil change cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Generac 20kW Guardian generator. This system is installed in southwest area of Virginia and the record lows are near 0 and the highs can be in the 90's. The system rarely runs except for the 12 min cycle once a week. I will do a system test every few months to let it run for an hour or so.

For winter, I changed the oil using PYB 10W-30 and Generac brand oil filter. It is uses the a standard Kawasaki 3/4" X 16 2.7 in OD but specifies Generac 070185F which is the 3.5-in long version.

I talked with the installer and asked what others were doing and just said in some run Mobil 10w-30 synthetic.

Now Generac specs SAE 30 > 32 F, 10W-30 between 40 F and -10F, Syn 5W-30 for 10 F and below.

The manual oil change interval is 2 years or 200 hrs.

If you take the above literally, I would need to change the oil again in March to put in 30 wt. What I would like to do is run one oil 10W-30 and just change it at 6 months or if it gets close to the 200 hrs.. not every likely unless there is some ice storm that lasts a week or wind event during the summer.

I also have a utility vehicle and a riding 24 HP lawn mover (both spec 10w-30 0 F to 90+) so would like to use the same oil in all I have been running PYB in the mower and JD oil in utility that is what the dealer gave me initially.

I would say run 10w-30 dino (if I am cheap) or synthetic in all including the generator year round despite Generac's notes but if I have to two use diff 10w-30 oils the world does not end. I also thought about Rotella T5 since it is cheap and available locally.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
10w30 syn(any) will work just fine. T5 or TP 10w30 is a great oil. I use the TP 10w30 in my Honda genset as well as in a GX270 engine(pressure washer) year round.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would just run the T5. I assume an air cooled engine? Or Amsoil 4-Stroke.

Yes the generator is air cooled as well as the riding lawn mower. The utility vehicle has a radiator. The other question is do I run 10w-30 year round.

Last edited:
It looks like you could run 10w30 in all your equipment year round to me and meet the specs. For real cold start ups, you could use 5w30 oils for easier starts.

I can show you a picture taken inside the valve cover of a 20hp Kawasaki engine with 2000 hours, that has been run on 10w30 Rotella, that is spotless. This is on a 100-125 hour (once a year) OCI.

The lawn tractor that the engine is in does everything from mowing grass at 95 degrees, to pushing snow at 15 degrees.

Yeah, it is good AND cheap oil. It is the only thing that I use in my OPE.

Good= Rotella 10W30, Better = Mobil 1 10W30, Best = Castrol 0W30 or 5W40 equivalent.

Functionally, Rotella 10W30 will work as well as the best, plus save you a few coins. I had a similar Generac that used Mobil 1 5W30. It worked OK, however in a power outage of over 48 hours, most of the 2 qt capacity of Mobil 1 was either burned up or used up by then. You then had to shut down the generator and replenish with fresh oil. With that said, a heavier 30 wt oil (or a 5W40) should work better.

Looks like a perfect candidate for a fully synthetic 10W-30. Pick one with and exceptionally low pour point and you will be assured of excellent cold weather flow.

I started a thread a few days ago with the same question about an off the shelf oil and its use in my lawnmower "What oil do you Use"?

I like the Amsoil 4-Stroke 10W30/SAE 30 but its a little pricy to 'order in 2-3 quarts' just for my personal equipment. I even run it in my snowblower that specifies 5w30.

Due to local availability, I am planning to go with Rotella T5 10w30 sold at my local walmart for $16/gal. I am also in SW Virginia.

To keep your generator running for it's maximum life, the Amsoil product is ideal and I have run it for two years in my riding mower with no adverse effects. Otherwise, a good premium 10w30 will give you great year round service such as the M1 recommended by your generator dealer.

Originally Posted By: MKZman
I also thought about Rotella T5 since it is cheap and available locally. Thoughts?

That's my pick -- with a Motorcraft FL-400S filter on both the generator & mower.

I have the same generator. I use Amsoil 4 cycle 30w/10w-30 with a NAPA Platinum filter. Designed for air cooled generator engines. Very low noack volatility (5% I think). This is the first oil change since break-in 8 hours. With a 200 hour/2 year oil change interval I think it is worth the $7/qt I paid for it.

Only time will tell if it is worth it.

Why worry about the cost of a couple of qts of oil in a gen that cost several thou. A friend is a Generac tech and he uses M1 5-30 in all his PM oil changes. In fact we(I help him at times with some work) have been working on an engine change in a large gen that sludged up with dino and cooked the engine.

Originally Posted By: Dufus2

Due to local availability, I am planning to go with Rotella T5 10w30 sold at my local walmart for $16/gal. I am also in SW Virginia.

Same here. There is an Advance Auto and they carry it too but Rotella seems consisently priced compared to the promoted brands. Walmart has been dropping 10W-30 in gallons in various brands (Motocraft, some Pennzoil) as of late.

Originally Posted By: steve20
I thought from reading here M-1 5-30 flavor was the LEAST desireable oil to run in OPE?

Steve

Where have you read this?

I'm finishing up a jug of ST 5W-30 for lawn mower and snow blower - both are running very well (or so I thought)

In looking at the Rotella T5 10W-30 specs, the viscosity is 78.9 (40 C) and 12 (100 C), and VI=147 so definitely one of the thicker 10W-30's. Pennzoil YB viscosity is 69.5 and 10.5 respectively and VI is 138.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back