Better mileage on shell V-Power vs BP Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else noticed better mileage in their cars requiring 93 octane on shell V-Power vs BP ultimate? My mileage has gone up after filling up a few different times. Now with some Shell stations the V-Power costs much more as compared to other stations 93 octane, but I found a shell station in the city that is competitive with accurate pumps. For those of you in the Detroit area, that's the Shell at 34420 Harper ave. Clinton TWP, MI. Consistently $.10 cents or more lower than nearby stations. Plus $.05 cent cash discount and they take Kroger points and fuel rewards network.

According to Fuelly, my car's gas mileage isn't significantly higher or lower on any flavor of 93. I highly doubt V-Power is giving you extra MPG.

I just use regular but on my 2011 Ford Fusion 2.5 L/4 but compared to buying gas at Sam's I get about 2 more miles per gallon. I have tested it quite a few times.

My old Ford Ranger pickup runs a lot better on the Shell and I have tested it often trying to buy the cheaper Sam's gas again and it again starts to run much worse on the Sam's gas.

Originally Posted By: callbay
I just use regular but on my 2011 Ford Fusion 2.5 L/4 but compared to buying gas at Sam's I get about 2 more miles per gallon. I have tested it quite a few times.

My old Ford Ranger pickup runs a lot better on the Shell and I have tested it often trying to buy the cheaper Sam's gas again and it again starts to run much worse on the Sam's gas.

On a similar note I find that my truck runs fine on Mobil or Shell but idles much less smoothly on Cumbies/Gulf gas. It's said that the discount retailers don't run contamination tests on their tanks as often and that it's the reason for this noticeable difference. I've experienced the same thing in the past with Stop and Shop and BJ's gas as well. Rough idle.

Last edited:
Can't comment directly. But I can say that when I ran Shell 93 in my '01 North* Aurora I got consistently 5% better mileage than on Shell Regular. So when the price was close, the V-Power was more economical and better performing.

Funny; quite some time ago, I noticed that I get about 5%-7% better gas mileage on V-power, compared to other premiums. The bad news is that, in CT anyway, Shell seem to cost about 5% more than others. So, maybe a wash.

I'm saying Shell seems a little better than BP. My car requires premium so when I can find V Power for a lower price than other premiums I go to that station when I'm in the city.

I've run 93 from many different stations in my I35 and I found the car seems to run the smoothest and get the best MPG with Amoco/BP Ultimate. Different cars seem to like different brands of gas, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back