2000 F350 7.3L Powerstroke | M1 5w-40 | 2K (2 Yrs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did this UOA for the heck of it after being in for 2 years. Wish I wouldn't have dumped it.

Blackstone Comments: Your F350 didn't see a ton of miles over the past couple of years, but that's okay. Oil doesn't generally go bad just from sitting and this oil could have stayed in use. As a reminder, universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 5,600 miles on the oil. This oil run wasn't nearly that long, so it's right that wear metals are lower, especially iron as that should track with miles on the oil. The TBN read a strong 9.0 showing lots of active additive left. Go back to 5,000 or 6,000 miles on the oil, even if that takes a while.

Miles on oil: 2,100
Miles on Unit: 52,200
Makeup oil: 0 qts

ALUMINUM - 1
CHROMIUM - 0
IRON - 7
COPPER - 1
LEAD - 3
TIN - 0
MOLYBDENUM - 4
NICKEL - 0
MANGANESE - 0
SILVER - 0
TITANIUM - 0
POTASSIUM - 1
BORON - 85
SILICON - 4
SODIUM - 3
CALCIUM - 1326
MAGNESIUM - 935
PHOSPHORUS - 1140
ZINC - 1258
BARIUM - 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F - 68.6
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C - 12.57
Flashpoint in °F - 450
Fuel % - Antifreeze % - 0
Water % - 0
Insolubles % - TR
TBN - 9

And yet people will still think they have to change oil because it's been in there 6 months. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
And yet people will still think they have to change oil because it's been in there 6 months. Thanks for posting.

My thoughts exactly.

4k miles a year? Wow ... And I thought my Dmax sat around ...

Clear example of how oil and filters have no idea how old they are; the calendar means little to nothing.

As much as you may have learned that longer duration OCIs are OK, I'll also point out that the limited use did nothing to bring out any remarkable performance of the lube. The wear numbers and contamination area low because of low use, not because it's a syn. It's likely that just about any qualified HDEO could have done this.

I'd recommend two things:
1) stretch this OCI further and continue to monitor
2) consider a dino fluid for such endeavors; you're not pushing the severity of use out far enough to warrant spending so much on so little return

Yes, it was a grand waste to dump such a fluid, but as long as you take this info and alter your actions, using the UOA data to make confident decisions, then it's all part of the learning curve. You'll certainly know next time that "better" does not always equate to "more" or "more often".

Thank you for posting. These UOAs are yet more proof that longer OCIs are not foolish in terms of chronological exposure.

Last edited:
This UOA was just for the fun of it, though I did think 2 years was pushing it. Just wanted to know and thought the results may help someone down the road. The truck is a garage queen. As always, dnewton3 has some sound advice.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'd recommend two things:
1) stretch this OCI further and continue to monitor
2) consider a dino fluid for such endeavors; you're not pushing the severity of use out far enough to warrant spending so much on so little return

...and here's option 3:
3) Run it 2 years in the Ford and then run it for a ~5K OCI in my Dodge (that gets driven a lot more).

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Yes, it was a grand waste to dump such a fluid

I would agree, but it didn't go to total waste...isn't that why they call them oil burners?
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back