Red line Vs Amsoil cleaning power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one has more cleaning power the Amsoil signature series or the Red Line synthetic oil ?

Assuming that Red Line uses more ester basestock in its oils than Amsoil uses in its SSO oils, then in theory the Red Line might have more cleaning ability since esters are highly polar.
In practice, I don't think it's that simple and the Amsoil SSOs do have a healthy slug of calcium.
I doubt that you could make any good case for either oil having more cleaning ability.
Anyway, for an engine that's had reasonable OCIs throughout its life, there usually isn't much to clean up, or at least that's been my experience.

I'd love to see some independent test data, not company adverting or opinions. I don't think its out there though. So testimony and before and after pictures of engines cleaned using both products would be nice.

You don't use expensive oils to clean an engine. I know that's assumption on my part. Who would even do that? This goes way back to Terry Dyson discussions.

If the engine is dirty enough to clean, do the Amsoil flush, then short intervals with a low cost HDEO and MMO for 2-3X at say 1000-2000 mile intervals. This should loosen the heavy stuff. Then Amsoil flush again. Then another short interval.

This seems like good, common sense advice.
Why use an expensive oil to clean when something cheaper will work just as well for the purpose?
You can then use an expensive oil for whatever unique qualities it brings to the table.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This seems like good, common sense advice.
Why use an expensive oil to clean when something cheaper will work just as well for the purpose?
You can then use an expensive oil for whatever unique qualities it brings to the table.

It does make sense. The OP asked which was better though, RL or Amsoil, and was hoping for an answer. Honestly if I was cleaning an engine it would be PYB and MMO for 3,000-4,000 miles, repeat if necessary, then switch to my favorite synthetic and call it a day. Or if I had Kreen on hand and was looking to speed things up a bit, I'd use Kreen.

I use Amsoil 5w-30 signature series, I use expensive oil not for cleaning the engine but for the long drains, I change oil every 20.000 Km.

The car goes very good no problem at all. but since I have to add at least 500 ml of oil between the oil changes,I noticed that there are some black deposit that I can see when I add the oil.

So I was wondering if Red Line has more cleaning power then Amsoil since both allow me long drains.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd love to see some independent test data, not company adverting or opinions. I don't think its out there though. So testimony and before and after pictures of engines cleaned using both products would be nice.

I will post a picture next month when I will add the oil in the engine.

Every single one of my BMW's was cleaned completely of sludge, and even most varnish, by simply using Redline oil. There has never been a hint of sludge since, using it or RP as the only oils, and this (along with the incredible protection I saw from a post-20k mile teardown of my 328Ci's M52tu complete engine build and SC install, which included a ton of track time, and which is not only pushing 16+ psi boost, but doing so with a 10.5:1cr and a redline North of 8000rpm), is why I recommend it so highly.

Sure, it's not extended drain, but I think that's perfectly acceptable. 5-7.5k is the most I'd ever put on an oil anyway, and I have passed on dozens of Bimmers for sale because they only got the dealers 15k oci.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Red line in not an extended drain oil. Amsoil signature is. Have you done any oil analysis on your 20k runs?

I know SS claims to be a long drain oil however I've only seen 1 used oil analysis over 20000 miles with it and pretty much every other one I've seen posted shows Amsoil SSO toast well before the magic 25000 mile number.

Heck FX has been running various oils roughly double the recommended intervals and his latest run of m1 0w-20 AFE at 20000 miles,for 25 bucks a jug I think its quite possibly the best value out there.

I love redline but I just can't justify 25 or so a quart when I can get jugs for less

From what I have read here, seems like Redline has the edge on cleaning. That said though....

Both our vehicles have had almost exclusively Amsoil. The Wrangler got a new head gasket 20k ago, and the internals were spotless. I didn't do the job so didn't get pictures. Inside of both valve covers are clean.

Unless your engine has some sort of sludge problem, no need to worry IMO.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
Every single one of my BMW's was cleaned completely of sludge, and even most varnish, by simply using Redline oil. There has never been a hint of sludge since, using it or RP as the only oils, and this (along with the incredible protection I saw from a post-20k mile teardown of my 328Ci's M52tu complete engine build and SC install, which included a ton of track time, and which is not only pushing 16+ psi boost, but doing so with a 10.5:1cr and a redline North of 8000rpm), is why I recommend it so highly.

Sure, it's not extended drain, but I think that's perfectly acceptable. 5-7.5k is the most I'd ever put on an oil anyway, and I have passed on dozens of Bimmers for sale because they only got the dealers 15k oci.

After what you say I will give a try next oil change and I will change the oil after 12000 Km instead 20000 Km.

I will send the photos so we will see if it works for real.

Thanks

Red line in not an extended drain oil.

I agree. 8k miles in my Camaro, and the TBN was pretty well depleted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Red line in not an extended drain oil.

I agree. 8k miles in my Camaro, and the TBN was pretty well depleted.

On the Red line web site they do not say how much TBN the oil has.

Amsoil is 12.6 very high

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
According to the VOA's I have gotten on Redline 5w30, TBN is 8.6.

So I do not think that I can push till 20.000km for oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back