Speaking of bargains on .22 rifles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Academy Sports & Outdoors has the Marlin Model 795 .22 rifle on sale for $130. A good deal at $150-$160, even better at $130. Maybe a nice little spare/knockabout .22 as a Christmas present for yourself?
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, the Marlins are good buys....I got mine even cheaper a few years back thanks to a rebate but I wouldn't hesitate paying $150 let alone $130! Anyone interested in a .22LR semi should look at the Marlin 795.

Amazing how a decent rifle can be had for a good price these days and opposite can be said for ammunition; especially rimfire!

I paid 150$ for mine, and I enjoy it more than my two Ruger 10/22s.

It only jammed 1 time on the first shot, and has never jammed since.

I have a hard time with the factory sights, but I am hesitant to put a scope on it and wrecking it's handiness.

I was looking at a Williams Peep Sight, but 80$ added to the cost of the gun takes away from it's economy.

I have a sling on it, and just keep it strung across my back pack as a last ditch firearm or if I happen across a sitting rabbit.

I have no doubt, out of the box, the 795 is FAR more accurate than the Ruger 10/22.

You also get many more features on the 795.

-Last shot bolt hold open.
-Cannot be fired without a magazine in place, even if there is a round chambered.
-Finger touch bolt release.

The only thing I don't like is the safety being BEHIND the trigger.

I find the most natural safety position is in front of the trigger, where you'd keep your finger rested outside of the trigger guard anyway. So the Ruger 10/22 wins here.

Glad to hear good reviews from the BITOGers, more trustworthy than many other sources I bet.
grin2.gif

Currently fighting a losing battle with temptation. Losing badly. May have something to report later tonight.
whistle.gif

Safety button position: I grew up hunting with Dad's Model 17 Remington 20 ga pump(rear) & Model 6x Winchester .22 pump(front), & then my own Model 870 Rem 20 ga(rear) & Browning .22 auto(front). So when it comes to safety position on trigger guards, you could say I'm "ambidextrous".
wink.gif

Insufficient will power- that's me. I dood it!
grin2.gif

The store had no spare magazines, found some new on Evilbay for ~$15 shipped, bought 2. It's a nice handy lightweight carbine, already put a sling on it. Probably gonna mount one of two small 4x28 Bushnell scopes bought cheap years ago & never used, only about 7.5" long, should be a nice fit on the Marlin 795.

My first gun was a Marlin .22 semi auto. Still have it and still love it. Very accurate and durable. Find an ammo that your gun likes and stick with it.

My only complaint is that sometimes some rounds that do not have quite enough kick do not eject and stovepipe. Easy to clear the jams on mine, but it doesn't happen with some ammo.

They need to discount them, .22lr is pretty much obsolete due to ammo availability.

Quote:
Hey son, look what we got you for Christmas! It is a club that doubles as a rifle in case you ever find any ammo.

Last edited:
You guys in the States should cross the border to Canada for .22 ammo.

Our stuff hangs on shelves a bit longer as there aren't as many "gunners" in Canada in general.

2 months ago I got 2 bricks of my childhood favorite .22 Wildcat (in the old box) for 15$ a brick.

No jams and they shoot as well as I remember.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Academy Sports & Outdoors has the Marlin Model 795 .22 rifle on sale for $130. A good deal at $150-$160, even better at $130. Maybe a nice little spare/knockabout .22 as a Christmas present for yourself?
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

UncleS2,

Marlins 795 is a fantastic buy even at around $160/bucks! As a field rifle/gun it would be nice if it has sling swievels which inexpensive 22 rifles usually don't have. I have three Marlin bolt actions and none of them have any of them including my customized Remingtons and Rugers.

If you decide to get one I'd buy as many mags as you can.

Happy New Year to you:)

Durango

Originally Posted By: Falken
You guys in the States should cross the border to Canada for .22 ammo.

Our stuff hangs on shelves a bit longer as there aren't as many "gunners" in Canada in general.

2 months ago I got 2 bricks of my childhood favorite .22 Wildcat (in the old box) for 15$ a brick.

No jams and they shoot as well as I remember.

What are the rules about crossing the border with ammunition?

Sling swivel studs: My current version Marlin 795 has molded-in sling swivel attachments. Internet photos often show regular sling-swivel studs, it seems the stock design was changed a little within the past few years. I ordered 2 spare magazines on EvilBay, cost was $15.40 each delivered, best overall price I saw anywhere- they arrived quickly too. BTW- since the 795 can't be used as a single-shot without the magazine, Marlin really should include a spare with each rifle, shame on 'em.

I have several scopes/sights I can use. Right now it's sitting in a cleaning cradle, wearing the Super-Retro scope choice- a Weaver V-22 3-6 power zoom. 7/8" tube, no forward bell, 12"+ long- actually looks kinda cool, but would be a better fit on a longer rifle. The V22 is clear & bright enough, but eye relief is 1. Very short, and 2. VERY Critical- maybe +/- 1/4" or less from idel distance. That's gonna preclude it from practical use.

Most likely final scope choice- a little Bushnell Sportview .22 Rimfire Varmint 4x28, about 7 1/2" long. Clear, bright, duplex-type reticle, & no zoom to fiddle with & miss shots.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I've been a long time lurker on bitog and I signed up a few months ago. My oil still isnt quite ready to change and I am going to take 2 samples for different companies to test and post a comparison. BlAH

But I am glad I stumbled across this section as I was doing some more lurking. I love guns and shoot all the time, reload everything I shoot aside from rimfires, and 22 has such a special place in my heart even though I cannot stuff a new slug in them after I shoot them.

The 795 is the best bang for buck 22lr rifle you can get period. Its lack of popularity brings a lack of aftermarket support but stock for stock a 10/22 honestly does not compare to a 795.
My biggest gripe about the gun is the trigger. I know there are some replacement triggers but they do little to nothing for the pull. No real companies make spring kits for them, just random auction site kits and diy tutorials that I have yet to attempt on mine. I have had mine for a little over a year now and have shot around 5-6k rounds out of it. It would be more if rimfire were more avabiable. You used to be able to get thunderbolt for less than $3/50 at walmart befor the last election and before the mass shootings went all over tv.

My favorite (so far) ammo to shoot from it is ELEY sport, im sure their match stuff is nice too but its rich for my blood. Sport is about mini mag priced, but you have to look around for it.
I have no issue shooting clay disks scattered out on the birm at 200 yards, but that is only with subsonic ammo and eley sport is the only one that makes it look like I know what Im doing. Supersonic is fine out to 100 yards usually but american eagle was tumbling before it made it to the target (father in law could see it through the spotting scope).

My favorite uses for this rifle are in this order:
busting clays at 200 Yards, however not all ammo is up to this task so next on the list

Shooting popper targets at 50 & 100 yards because I dont need targets, you know you hit it and all it costs is ammo.

Shooting 100 yard groups for braggin rights, but I hate walking back and fourth and I usually reserve my premium ammo for this.

Shooting suckers stuck in the ground at 50 yards. FUN FUN FUN. but I feel wastefull doing this. However its fun, impressive, cheap and any cheap [censored] ammo will work.

The gun is great and I wish the aftermarket was more present on it. The mods I have done is a bipod, real sling swivels as the plastic ones will break on you..., floated the barrel (just better clearnace on the stock), mag disconnect modded to not be active, polished the feed ramp as the buildup is easier to clean off. The rough casting does not hurt feeding but the build up can if let get real dirty. Now that its polished you can rub it clean with your finger with an open bolt. I have a magpul sling and 2 promag 25 rd mags.

I want to work on the trigger next, and do a sling shot mod to the bolt.

This gun also like the agulia sss up to 100 yards. Drop is terrible even at that distance but its repeatable and it hits with athority, but past that and drop kills you.

In short, buy this gun or live an incomplete life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back