My attempt at Fluid Film rust prevention -PICS-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai Sonatas have issues with the subframes rusting. There’s currently a recall on the rear subframe in some states. My state isn’t included because vehicles here don’t rust too badly. On the Sonata recall, if the subframes are in good shape they remove four shipping plugs and spray the exterior and interiors with a waxy rust-prevention spray.

I have inspected my car and my front and rear subframes are in good shape. I decided to try doing some rust prevention using Fluid Film to keep it that way. I currently don’t have a large air compressor and I didn’t want to buy an airless paint sprayer just to try this, so the option I chose was to use spray cans of Fluid Film.

I read some comments online saying that it takes anywhere from two to four cans to coat one car. I picked up a six-pack of cans on ebay and an additional nozzle that allows you to get inside frame rails and other nooks and crannies. I spent a total of around $65 for the cans and nozzle.
DSC_0490-800_zps16529ff1.jpg

I first went to the DIY car wash and throughly sprayed all the undercarriage, then let the car dry in the garage. Later, I jacked up the car and took off the wheels. I covered the brakes with garbage bags to prevent contaminating them.
DSC_0494-800_zps552515f7.jpg

DSC_0497-800_zps6c9e973e.jpg

The nozzle works pretty well at getting inside the subframes, but it seems a little overpriced at $17. It also makes sort of a mess because it leaks between the spray button and can.
IMG_0007-800_zps0bcc7771.jpg

Final impressions
IMG_0008-800_zps638063b4.jpg

IMG_0009-800_zpsaf665bee.jpg

This is a pretty messy job and more overspray and drips ended up on the floor than I expected. It will need a soapy scrubbing once it gets warmer. If I had to do it over again I would have bought a cheap tarp or something to put on the floor under the car.

In the future it seems like it could be worth it to pay to have this job done by a pro, if it was a reasonable price. But, since rust isn’t a big issue in my area I don’t know of any shops that do this kind of thing, although I didn’t spend too much time looking for them.

I used barely over two cans on the Sonata. I really thoroughly coated the subframes.The body is rust free, so I didn’t coat the entire underbody of the car, maybe about 50 percent of it including certain areas that seemed more susceptible to rusting like the pinch welds.

If I decide to do this on a regular basis or I buy another air compress, buying a sprayer (airless or air powered) might be worth it. But for now, the spray cans will be good enough for the first try.

I go to a Car Well shop and its around $100 for them to do it including thicker product on the underbody and thinner in the cavities.

They use an electric liquid pump to pump the stuff and stray it.

Since I don't have a garage I'm forced to do it outside, on the dirt ground. No issues with cleanup there.
wink.gif

at least you did something, but I would look for a local shop that applies krown, rust check, fluid film, corrosion X etc

Nice job! Cant imagine doing it with spry cans, but in some ways it makes it simpler. Dealing with the mess is an issue. Ove thought about rolling/painting it on at some points... At least onto the surfaces where it is possible/sensible... Then save the spray for the interior spots where it wont run/overspray as much...

Havent put this into practice though...

Thanks for the pics!

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
at least you did something, but I would look for a local shop that applies krown, rust check, fluid film, corrosion X etc

Krown - 1,039 miles away to nearest location
Rust check - 930 miles to nearest location
Fluid film - The website says none within 100 miles.
Corrosion X - Do they have retail centers that apply spray undercoating?
Ziebart - nearest is 200 miles away

There is a Line-x dealer like 50 miles away, but the website doesn't say if they do any rust preventative or anything other than Line-x.

These types of underbody sprays don't seem to be too popular or available in my area. I may look into it more in the future.

I mainly did this to help protect the subframes. The rest of the car looks pretty good.

EDIT-
I did a little more googling and found a place not too far away that claims they do "undercoating" and "rust proofing," but I don't know which kind and the website doesn't say. I may look into it.

Good job! did something similar before to my Mazda 3 I actually removed door panels and sprayed it thick.

Second time I ended up buying a can and a cheap oil spray gun from Ebay it worked even better!

Looks like the Zep IronClad I use regularly at work. I thought about trying to find some of that to do the underside of my car. Ill have to remember that this stuff exists.

Did fluid film for my F150 doors and inside the frame as well as the body cross members and rockers. Used probably 4-5 cans to get it all, and that's without using it on the exposed surfaces. Maybe I went too heavy, but it didn't drip much either.

Anyway let us know how it holds in your environment.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
I am just curious, those who get it done professionally, how much does it cost? And you already have rust, does it help any?

costs a little bit, maybe 80-125 dollars the fisrt time, but they do drill and plug the holes, so you can do it yourself later. if you already have rust it will slow it down considerably.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Does Fluid Film last as long as something like Amsoil's Heavy Duty Metal Protector?

Stuff like HDMP isn't suitable for exposed surfaces, IMO.. I've heard reports of thick wax not self heal in cold conditions and create water bubbles underneath.

I've gotten rust on some screws underhood that I coated too.

I am just curious, those who get it done professionally, how much does it cost? And you already have rust, does it help any?

costs a little bit, maybe 80-125 dollars the fisrt time, but they do drill and plug the holes, so you can do it yourself later. if you already have rust it will slow it down considerably.

I am not sure about "you can do it yourself latter". Conflicting thoughts. Do you really need to do cavities more than once or twice? The wand you get with the CarWell sprayer is about 6" long. The wand the CarWell shop uses is 3' long.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I am not sure about "you can do it yourself latter". Conflicting thoughts. Do you really need to do cavities more than once or twice? The wand you get with the CarWell sprayer is about 6" long. The wand the CarWell shop uses is 3' long.

you can get all those wands through the aftermarket

http://www.kellsportproducts.com/Spraygun.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back