Valvoline SynPower now dexos approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
With their recent tie-up with Hendrick Motorsports, and Hendrick's close association with GM, and as many had guessed, Valvoline has now joined the dexos approved list with both SynPower 5W-30 and 5W-20 on the official list.

Official dexos 1 list

I didn't see it at first, but it is under the "S" for SynPower, not the "V" for Valvoline. With this the majors (Mobil, SOPUS, Ashland, Conoco, & BP) are now all on board with dexos, so, as supposed, Rick Hendrick's Certified GM service will be using dexos approved oil in GM vehicles.

Last edited:
According to gmdexos.com. The following Valvoline oils are also approved:

DuraBlend® Synthetic Blend Motor Oil Valvoline dexos1 5W-30 Global
MaxLife® 5W-20 Motor Oil Valvoline dexos1 5W-20 Global
MaxLife® 5W-30 Motor Oil Valvoline dexos1 5W-30 Global
SynPower® Full Synthetic 5W-30 Valvoline dexos1 5W-30 Global
SynPower® Full Synthetic 5W-20 Valvoline dexos1 5W-20 Global

On the gmdexos site, you can sort the columns by manufacturer. That is how I found the complete Valvoline listing.

Dave

Too bad the oil companies have caved in to GM on this Dexos bull hooey. Other car mfg's are going to follow suit and oil will get even more ridiculously expensive than it is.

FYI-I sent a comment thru Valvoline's website and get an answer less than 30 minutes later. Here is my comment and their response.

Comment:

Good to see many of your products are now officially Dexos licensed according to gmdexos.com but you need to get your 0W-20 products approved. The new GM 2014 trucks with 5.3 require a Dexos 0w-20. No other viscosity oil can be used other than 0w-20.

Their response:

Most Recent Update:

Thank you for contacting Valvoline. We are actually in the process of getting the licensed approval with the SynPower Full Synthetic SAE 0W-20 as we speak and should have the license number for that very soon. Valvoline will stand behind the use of the SynPower Full Synthetic SAE 0W-20 product at this current time.

Thank you,

Valvoline Product Support

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Too bad the oil companies have caved in to GM on this Dexos bull hooey. Other car mfg's are going to follow suit and oil will get even more ridiculously expensive than it is.

Dexos licensed oils are no more or less expensive than non-licensed oils.

Originally Posted By: stchman

If you believe the oil mfg's are eating that Dexos fee per/gallon( or whatever it is - quart? )sold and not passing it on to the consumer then I have a great deal on a Bridge for you in NY.

If you believe the oil mfg's are eating that Dexos fee per/gallon( or whatever it is - quart? )sold and not passing it on to the consumer then I have a great deal on a Bridge for you in NY.

While I agree with you that the oil companies are not eating the cost but passing it on to the customer (and the ones not getting certified used the opportunity to up their prices anyway) your statement that oil is "rediculously expensive" is a bit over the top. We still enjoy the best prices on motor oil, relatively speaking.

I think the point you were trying to make is that we shouldn't just sit back and let the oil companies slowly boil the frog (us customers), and I agree with that.

If you go to Walmart and compare Mobil 1 5W-30 and Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 they are approximately the same price per quart or 5 quart jug. I am speaking of when Valvoline SynPower pre-dexos licensed. So if Valvoline was saving SO MUCH money on not paying those exorbitant fees to GM, they certainly weren't passing it on to their customers.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
What is the differences between dexos1 & dexos2?

DEXOS 1= gas engines
DEXOS 2=diesels

And this was coming. Several months ago. Rick Hendrick (NASCAR team owner of chevy cars) ad valvoline came to a sponsor ship agreement for the teams to have valvoline sponsorship, and to also use valvoline in his dealerships for the oil for service. Which are it believe a hundred + dealerships mostly Chevy.
So that right there if ya read between lines woulda known.

So this would explain why the statement on valvolines website giving the middle finger to the dexos this disappeared a while back.

I do hope that napa gets it soon.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
So this would explain why the statement on valvolines website giving the middle finger to the dexos this disappeared a while back.

I do hope that napa gets it soon.

Would be nice if napa got the jugs as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back