black nitrile vs. Red silicone

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, The red silicone valves "look" nicer, but does anyone know if filters with silicone valves are worth the extra 3 or 4 bucks all other things being equal? Interested in what you people think. I have gone from 12 dollar m1 (red valve) filter to 6 dollar bosch (with black valve) and haven't noticed any difference....
thanks,

Texas weather? why even worry about the ADBV?

Around here(and now), the oil is very thick when cold(this includes the overrated 30wt GC and 30wts of Mobil1). A telltake sign of a bad ADBV is noticeable(couple seconds) of engine clatter during a very cold start as the filter fills with oil. The clatter rarely occurs when warm or during a restart.
Filter brand is probably just as important as ADBV material.

Time is something to consider. My experience, regardless of filter used, is that after an extended period of time(several days), every filter leaks and causes engine startup noise.

So, don't bother wasting the extra money. Some quality filters make as much noise as other noname filters. My cheapo favorites are the walmart supertech(championStp) and pepboys proline(purolator) clones.

Another thing to consider is COLOR. Color doesn't mean a thing. Make sure that the filter mentions the material used regardless of what color is used if you want to use silicone.

I don't have any real data to back myself up but I had heard that the silicone ADBVs will be more reliable than nitrile when both are subjected to extreme heat or extreme cold. So if you run very hot oil temps, or you drive in extremely cold winter weather, it might be worth it to get one with a silicone ADBV. That's my only beef with the K&N oil filters I use right now, is that they run a nitrile ADBV.

I have never used a filter with a silicone ADBV on my truck or camaro, but the filters mount with the open end straight up. On my camry, the filter mounts top down (although at an angle), and any filter WITHOUT a silicone ADBV gives me valvetrain noise at startup.

I kind of had a gut feeling that the silicone adbvs work better, but like suggested, perhaps in s.texas weather, its a moot point. I am really torn between the bosch and Honda stock filters for my 02 civic. Flip a coin??

My 2.96$ motorcraft fl-820S
has a silicon ADBV.
Thats what the S on the model number means on motorcraft filters.
Of course on my 4.0 ranger the filter opening it vertical so it cant drain out anyway...

Rand

Check here: web page

This is and expensive filter with a "black" ADBV & a significantly cheaper filter (less than $3.00 at WalMart) with a "red" ADBV.

Not all filters with silicon ADBV's are $4 more than other filters. You just need to look around. Nitrile ADBV's seem to be the norm, but there are quality filters out there with silicon ADBV's that are less than the ones with inferior or no ADBV's.

Your question can only be answered by the value you place on an ADBV.

If your engine doesn't have one of the severe service things goin' on, nor extreme temperatures, and you never hear lifter chatter at start-up, the ADBV material is probably of no great significance on your particular engine. By the way, the Purolator PureOne filters have silicone for about $6.

Even your best silicone rubbers soften and swell some when exposed to hot oil, and nitriles somewhat more. As long as you are shutting down the engine warm, it should make less difference. If you do a lot of short trips and shut down with a cold engine, the silicone is more likely to be worth while.

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
If your engine doesn't have one of the severe service things goin' on, nor extreme temperatures, and you never hear lifter chatter at start-up, the ADBV material is probably of no great significance on your particular engine. By the way, the Purolator PureOne filters have silicone for about $6.

Wix filters have them too and I believe they are less than $6 in the US aren't they?

I generally don't do too many short trips. Its a 25 mile commute to work each way. As far as hot running, It hits 112 or so in the summer down here and stays that way for a while. So if I understand correctly, don't worry too much about the adbv and worry more about the filter quality, I have never used a purolator how is the quality on that compared to bosch? Thanks and happy new year folks.

Patman: Yeah, sounds like we got the same Wix stuff down here as you folks up North. The Wix's and Napa Golds go for about $7-8 where I live, and the newer Wix "T03" media filters also have the silicone valve (I'm sure you already know this), but unfortunately I've noticed that most of the Wix/Napa stock around where I live is old stock, with the old media and nitrile valve. They're still great filters, of course, even the older style.

DustyJoe: If you've never heard significant lifter chatter at start-up, I'd suggest ADBV material isn't much of a concern with your car. There's plenty of knowledgable fans of Bosch, Wix, and PureOne filters -- they're all good stuff. Although IMO, I'm not really sold on the Champion (including Bosch) clicker bypass valve. If you can barely see six small circles at the far end of the filter interior, it has the clicker valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back