Does idle stop end oil lubrication, Damage engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some say "yes because there's no oil pressure to form a protective oil wedge." (Belt-driven pumps stop spinning.) Others say "no because there's still an oil film between the metal parts even at 0 rpm.".

I have no bleedin' idea which side is correct, but for now I have disabled the idle stop on my Honda hybrid.
Please discuss.

EDIT: idle stop == feature that turns off engine at every red light or stop sign

Last edited:
Are you concerned that when your turn the key off to stop the engine, the crank is going to keep rotating for a second while the ignition is shut off and yet at the same time the oil pump is slowing to a stop too?

I'm just trying to understand what you mean.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Are you concerned that when your turn the key off to stop the engine, the crank is going to keep rotating for a second while the ignition is shut off and yet at the same time the oil pump is slowing to a stop too?

I'm just trying to understand what you mean.

If so, Seems like BITOG OCD to me

If the engine isn't running, it doesn't need lubrication!

And if the engine is already warm, the oil is already thinned out when you start back up.

what car has a belt driven oil pump?

how did you disable idle stop?

What car do you even have?

your post is anemic on facts and

full of trollish stir up statements.

If stop-start tech were going to cause noticeable amounts of damage then all of these manufacturers wouldn't be implementing it. The oil will already be hot from driving so the oil will flow instantly each time it's restarted. No worries here if you ask me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Idle stop == feature that turns-off engine at every redlight or stop sign

Many manufacturers refer to it as auto-start/stop.

The Honda designers made the feature, it's going to work fine without damage.
It's not some jury-rigged backyard thing you're using.

If it doesn't work, then lawsuit and you get a new car (you wouldn't want your old defective car anyway).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Some say "yes because there's no oil pressure to form a protective oil wedge." (Belt-driven pumps stop spinning.) Others say "no because there's still an oil film between the metal parts even at 0 rpm.".

I think that you are quoting me there...check my posts...oil pressure is not equal to lubrication.

Google "hydrodynamic lubrication", and you will see that to have an oil film (wedge), you must have relative motion between the parts...the slower the motion, the thinner the wedge...no motion, no wedge.

A bearing running from an established oil film to zero is generally OK...going from stationary to running, there will be boundary contact...

Even if there isn't an oil wedge, there will still be an oil film on the parts and a chemical agent called, "Anti-Wear" additives that keeps wear to a minimum on start-up and shutdown.

I would be hard pressed to see any data that indicates start/stop on a warmed up engine/lubricant causes additional damage you can measure in the service life of the vehicle.

Remember, the vehicle is at temp and the boundary lubrication prevents bearing wipe for that fraction of a second. Then the engine starts, the lube flows and the process repeats.

Cold start wear is much more involved than lubricant flow. Mis-matched components, fuel, and corrosion play (IMO) a significant part.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Even if there isn't an oil wedge, there will still be an oil film on the parts and a chemical agent called, "Anti-Wear" additives that keeps wear to a minimum on start-up and shutdown.

Very true...part two of the discussion, and completely pertinent to why they last a long time doing it.

Perhaps some of our members in the EU could comment. Auto stop/start has been used there for many years if I'm not mistaken.FWIW

Oldtommy

If you're using that 0W-20/5W-20 then yeah, chances are all your oil has drained off your engine and into the oil pan during the idle stop. Every start at the stoplight is a dry start. What Honda should've done is used an electric oil pump that stays running during the idle stop.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What Honda should've done is used an electric oil pump that stays running during the idle stop.

Do we know for a fact that they haven't?

I'd bet you my left one that they haven't...and it wouldn't make a scrap of difference...flow <> lubrication.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
The Honda designers made the feature, it's going to work fine without damage.
It's not some jury-rigged backyard thing you're using.
A statement like that is not evidence or proof of anything. Honda did design their own automatic transmissions also. My transmission and many others did not work fine without damage as long as the average transmission. Mine failed young. With more maintenance than the owners manual says.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I would be hard pressed to see any data that indicates start/stop on a warmed up engine/lubricant causes additional damage you can measure in the service life of the vehicle.

Are you referring to service life of a normal vehicle w/o start stop technology or a vehicle with it? A vehicle with it that might start thousands and thousands more times over its life. I'd be willing to bet it takes its toll over the life of the vehicle. Especially if you buy into the theory that when oil is changed and fresh new oil is added more wear occurs until the anti-wear additives begin to work their magic as the oil ages a bit.

I'd disable it as soon as I took it home from the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back