Need Help Selecting Truck Tires for 1990 K1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to go buy some new tires for my old truck in my signature.

It's currently running Wrangler 265/70-16. They are pretty well worn out. Plus, dry rot is really setting in.

I'm not super picky about size.....so many options in that area: 245/75, 245/70, 265/75, 265/70, even 285's would fit no problem.

The truck is driven on asphalt 100% of the time. I pull a boat with my truck on ocassion. I'm looking to buy a decent set of tires very soon. Any known deals right now that make one tire really stand out?

I just ordered new ball joints, tie rod ends, idler & pitman arms. Might order later today new shocks as well...along with control arm and torsion bar bushings. Looking to rebuild the whole front end right before the tires go on.

Any suggestions? Deals?

I love the Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts, both the sets of Revo 1s & the set of Revo 2s that I currently have on the Dodge-the 2s have been in ice storms (and in the Chicago Blizzard of 2011)-but unfortunately they're not cheap.

I always liked the BFGoodrich Commercial T/A Traction tire. It is definitely geared more towards winter and mud, but I found it to be a very good wearing tire with good bite in the snow.

What is Indiana like for winter? Or, better put, will this get driven in snow&ice? If purely asphalt and no snow/ice then most likely anything would work... only when you start tossing in that notorious fourth season that tires get stretched a bit thin.

Also, what kind of milage per year? I'm guessing not a lot, so a top of the line tire seems like a poor choice, since it would dry rot before wearing out.

Originally Posted By: supton
What is Indiana like for winter? Or, better put, will this get driven in snow&ice? If purely asphalt and no snow/ice then most likely anything would work... only when you start tossing in that notorious fourth season that tires get stretched a bit thin.

Also, what kind of milage per year? I'm guessing not a lot, so a top of the line tire seems like a poor choice, since it would dry rot before wearing out.

Indiana winters can be rough. Lots of snow, slush, ice. Lots of salt!! So, I'd like to drive my truck during the winter mostly...and keep my new-to-me Accord in the garage during the winter.

I'm guessing I'd drive the truck about 5-7k miles a year.

If most of your miles are put on during the winter I might think about a snow tire... 'cept they would wear quick with any real towing in summer I'd think. But if most of the miles are put on during winter, it would make sense to focus on that; and I'm guessing the boat isn't that heavy (reasonable assumption?), and it's going to be driven a bit lighter in summer than in winter.

I'm wondering if a cheapo snow would work ok.

An important detail is how much that you want to spend... We need to know if you have a Milestar or a Michelin budget.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
An important detail is how much that you want to spend... We need to know if you have a Milestar or a Michelin budget.

I'm looking for a deal. No real budget. But I'm not interested in paying $800-$1000 for top of the line Michelins. Nope. It's just a beater truck. But dependable and used frequently.

I guess I'm hoping to find a decent set of tires installed for about $600 if I can. Really, it would take me 8 years to put 50-60k miles on them. The truck might not even live that long.

I'm really not into buying snow tires either.

Do you have a Wal-Mart nearby? They have a Goodyear Wrangler Trailmark tire that should be a good fit for your needs, and at a price of $135 for a P265-70-16.

That should get you in to a brand new set of rubber for just a little over your $600 mark.... with a 55000 mile warranty.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Trailmark-Tire-P265-70R16-111S/29376807#

If you wanted something a little more aggressive for not a lot more money, WM also can get the Kumho Road Venture AT for $12 a tire more.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19474322

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Bfg AT/KO

x100 best 4x4 tire you can get that won't kill you on the road.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Bfg AT/KO

For $600 installed?

Originally Posted By: Phishin

I'm looking for a deal. No real budget. But I'm not interested in paying $800-$1000 for top of the line Michelins. Nope. It's just a beater truck. But dependable and used frequently.

I guess I'm hoping to find a decent set of tires installed for about $600 if I can. Really, it would take me 8 years to put 50-60k miles on them. The truck might not even live that long.

I'm really not into buying snow tires either.

After the mail in rebate (which I just received!), my new set of P265/70r17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires cost under $600 out the door. Not saying they are the greatest tire in the world, but they drive great and I am very happy. Especially for the price!

Bfg AT/KO

For $600 installed?

awesome ain't cheap

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'm about to go buy some new tires for my old truck in my signature.

It's currently running Wrangler 265/70-16. They are pretty well worn out. Plus, dry rot is really setting in.

I'm not super picky about size.....so many options in that area: 245/75, 245/70, 265/75, 265/70, even 285's would fit no problem.

The truck is driven on asphalt 100% of the time. I pull a boat with my truck on ocassion. I'm looking to buy a decent set of tires very soon. Any known deals right now that make one tire really stand out?

I just ordered new ball joints, tie rod ends, idler & pitman arms. Might order later today new shocks as well...along with control arm and torsion bar bushings. Looking to rebuild the whole front end right before the tires go on.

Any suggestions? Deals?

Your tires,sir.

Bfg AT/KO

For $600 installed?

awesome ain't cheap

Yeah, sometimes, it is: the Treadwrights I ran on my Jeep were superb.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Your tires,sir.

Let's see... they re-use an old carcass, they're out of stock, and by the time you add in shipping, they cost as much or more than a new tire with a 55000 mile warranty...

For giggles I priced out a set for my truck, with shipping they are within $20 a tire for Firestone Destination LE's...Yeah great deal. They are also not matching, and have no warranty to speak of. The deal gets even better!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back