Can I skip filter change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Joenpb
A ton of bad advice here.

Once a filter is clogged it will go into bypass & stay in bypass without notification.

How exactly is a filter going to get clogged on a well maintained, non-sludged engine? Answer: it won't. The filter actually filters better over time. And since regular cheap filters have no problem going 20K miles on a Honda (every other 10K mile oil change), I think the idea of every other filter changes needs to be explored further.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Joenpb
A ton of bad advice here.

Once a filter is clogged it will go into bypass & stay in bypass without notification.

How exactly is a filter going to get clogged on a well maintained, non-sludged engine?

Here at Bob is the oil guy, like politics, there are extremes. People who change filters and not oil, to peeps who change oil and not filters. If manufacturers thought a filter would provide good filtering for an extened period they would market it as so. They don't because its likely some type of problem would occur. As with many things in life moderation tends to do better over time than extremes. Its well known sludge build up occurs when oil isn't changed frequent enough. It also can occur if a filter is compromised either through blockage or torn media. Oil & filters just aren aren't expensive enough to risk sludging up an engine to go two or three times the recommended mileage.

I think the element of fear, and fear alone, drives people to discourage changing the filter every other OCI.

Unless your engine has a history of sludge issues due to manufacturers defect or poor maintenance, there is no reason why you cannot keep the filter on for more than one OCI. There are so many options for an extended OCI -- Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, Napa Platinum, etc.

To answer the OP's question, yes, if your engine is well maintained with no issues, keep the filter on until the spring when you do your next oil change.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
I think the element of fear, and fear alone, drives people to discourage changing the filter every other OCI.

Unless your engine has a history of sludge issues due to manufacturers defect or poor maintenance, there is no reason why you cannot keep the filter on for more than one OCI. There are so many options for an extended OCI -- Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, Napa Platinum, etc.

To answer the OP's question, yes, if your engine is well maintained with no issues, keep the filter on until the spring when you do your next oil change.
Friends have asked WHY on earth you use synthetic 0w20 and 5w20 oils, in honda civic and honda accord, when they are doing just fine with using a synthetic 5w30 in the civic and 5w40 in the accord. I told them I live in cold climate so cannot even consider using the 5w40 grade oil. But I am not sure to recommend them to switch to 0w20 or 5w20 oils in their Honda civic and Honda accord.
They are living in tropical to hot climate areas with average outside temperatures of 70-80F (near about 30 degrees Celsius average temperature).
Will it be unwise and dangerous to try using the 0w20 or 5w20 oils in these warm climates ?
Are today's modern xW-20 grade oils not stout enough to replace the 5w30 and 5w40 oils in these year-round warm climate temperatures ?

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Originally Posted By: sir1900

Friends have asked WHY on earth you use synthetic 0w20 and 5w20 oils, in honda civic and honda accord, when they are doing just fine with using a synthetic 5w30 in the civic and 5w40 in the accord. I told them I live in cold climate so cannot even consider using the 5w40 grade oil. But I am not sure to recommend them to switch to 0w20 or 5w20 oils in their Honda civic and Honda accord.
They are living in tropical to hot climate areas with average outside temperatures of 70-80F (near about 30 degrees Celsius average temperature).
Will it be unwise and dangerous to try using the 0w20 or 5w20 oils in these warm climates ?
Are today's modern xW-20 grade oils not stout enough to replace the 5w30 and 5w40 oils in these year-round warm climate temperatures ?

The cooling system regulates oil temps. While higher ambient temps will result in marginally higher oil temps, it's not really anything to be concerned. If a cooling system can't handle a certain climate, that's something that a heavier oil won't solve.

On a clean modern engine the oil filter doesn't really do much. When they do the engine is half shot anyway.

Its cold and snowing, I'd leave the filter. Life will go on, and the sky will not fall.

I think that synthetic oil and a Napa Gold filter should be good for the max recommended by your Rav4 or 10K? I would not be concerned about going out to 8,000 miles with this combo. Ed

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'm on my 3rd 7-8k mile OCI on my Purolator Synthetic filter on my Nissan.

mmd.gif
I think I am going to be sick!
sqz.gif

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'm on my 3rd 7-8k mile OCI on my Purolator Synthetic filter on my Nissan.

It would be great if you would cut it open and post the pic's when you do change that filter. I run 15k miles on my filters and they look great after 15,000 miles.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back