Repowering Jacobsen Imperial 830 Snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled across a Jacobsen Imperial 830 Snowblower for sale. It's in real decent shape, except the engine. It's shot I think. Current owner said it was idling while he was shoveling, heard a loud Pop/Bang, and the engine was stumbling. He shut it down and it appeared to be "stuck" but then he got it unstuck. Now when he uses the pull start (it also has electric start) there is NO COMPRESSION/RESISTANCE.

So, either he blew a head gasket or broke a rod or something. Right?

So, if I buy this thing, I'm looking to repower. I can't find much info on the net about doing such a thing. I want to see what my options are and what it would cost to obtain a new engine for this snowblower.

I'm 99% sure this snowblower has a 8HP Tecumseh Snow King engine.

Are there engines currently available that I can simply bolt right in?

that has a 30" width and 8hp engine.

Repowering would be costly as you cant get the 100$ 6.5hp

next step up is 300$ for 11hp 350$ for 13hp

I wouldnt hesitate to repower a 24" with a 6.5 HF engine but 30" is abit big.

also that old 8hp probably provides significantly more torque than a new 8hp engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
that has a 30" width and 8hp engine.

Repowering would be costly as you cant get the 100$ 6.5hp

next step up is 300$ for 11hp 350$ for 13hp

I wouldnt hesitate to repower a 24" with a 6.5 HF engine but 30" is abit big.

also that old 8hp probably provides significantly more torque than a new 8hp engine.

Yeap, I could get a 13HP for $350 from HF...the 11HP for $300.

The guy with the old Jacobsen wants WAY too much $$$$ for his broken down unit. I think he was asking $250 or $280. Even if I could pick it up for $100, plus $350 for a new engine, another $50 in parts to make it all work.......I'm in for $500.

The thing is, I don't really need a snow blower...but it would be nice to have one. I also am interested in rebuilding one....just for a fun project. I've never repowered any OPE in my life. At 38 years old, I think I'm due.

There can't much do it, can there? I might have to drill and re-tap new mounting holes for the new engine.....maybe get a new pulley if the shaft isn't the same diameter as original one. Isn't there just a pulley on the shaft? I should be able to find the right pulley, right?

If the original engine on the unit is an 8hp flat-head, a 6.5hp OHV engine will have equal, if not more power than original.

I do agree with you Rand, in that if this unit can take a 30" bite, it should have had more engine than an 8hp from the get-go.

I might do it if the guy gave it to me for free... guy sounds pretty unrealistic...
just wait he will probably end up putting it on the curb for you later.
doesn't sound too bright of him running it out of oil....

Yeah, that guy is out to lunch with the price on that old Jacobson. It would be a fun project and a beast, but not for $250 to start. I'd go *maybe* to $150 on it, but that would only be if the rest of the machine was really good. Wheels not stuck, etc.

Last Summer I rebuilt my 36 yo 24" Ariens.
It was a fun project.
The replacement engine was a perfect match.

I took off the old (7 HP) Tecumsa
and installed a 'new' B&S. $360.00 / 11.50 Ft.Lbs of Torque (approx 8 HP).

Measuring for New Engine
1) Mounting Bolt Pattern
* because the new base was thicker, I had to remove studs.
two hits with a hammer and the welded studs came loose.
2) Diameter of Crankshaft (same as old & use old pulley).
3) Measure from Base to centerline of crankshaft (same as old & use old belt).

B&S makes a line of Snow Thrower Engines.

I used mine the last few days and it works great.
The older snow throwers (1970's era) were built heavy duty and worth fixing.

Last edited:
Worth $50 tops for that blower as is . Guys dreaming , reality will set in eventually .
Bigger is better when it comes to motors and I wouldn't go less than an 11HP on a 30"

Give him a piece of paper with your number on it and offer $50. Explain the cost of a new engine, the labor and parts to install it. The machine is practically worthless as is, and would only have value to a very rare breed of person (like us) that appreciate the quality of the older units.

I'd probably go with a 800 or 900 series Briggs snowtek engine at around $220 to $250 myself.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I'd probably go with a 800 or 900 series Briggs snowtek engine at around $220 to $250 myself.

200cc's & 8/9 ft-lbs on a 30 inch unit?
confused.gif

I got my 36" for $400 I think (with nothing wrong). Most people shy away from ones over 28" as they are too big. It being a 30" will be a disadvantage when selling. Make the seller aware of that tidbit.

Last night, I told him that I know it's worth $400-$500 in running condition. But it will cost me $350 to repower. So I offered him $100. He said his bottom line was $200. Told him to call me when he wants to sell it.

haha, it won't take long..
However, some blowers use a secondary geared down axle which makes repowering options much less flexible. Make sure that it has only one axle.
When repowering, if the original axle is thicker than new engines, there are adaptors to increase diameter to fit the old pulleys.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
So I offered him $100. He said his bottom line was $200. Told him to call me when he wants to sell it.

Good plan!

Let him sit on it awhile. Probably get a better deal on engines/parts in the off-season anyway.

$200 is high for a snow blower with a blown engine. I did an Ariens 24" for a friend. He picked up one with a blown engine for $40. We picked up a used Briggs 7hp on Craigslist for $150, a few cans of paint, and some new mounting bolts. For under $200 he has a perfect running machine.

I have my Montgomery Wards 7hp 28" on CL with no takers. I would have thought with the snow I would get some interest.

Another issue when buying something needing major repair is you cannot really test the part that is supposedly not broken. So you buy this snow blower for $100, get a another engine for $100 and then find the machine was run with no gear oil and the gears are seized. So the price needs to cover more than whats obviously broken, it needs to cover the risk of buying something broken that could not be properly tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back