Battery dying, is it worth saving? hard to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: djb
From the description it sounds as if the car cranked fine, but then wouldn't continue to run.

That doesn't necessarily suggest a battery problem. It suggests a fuel atomization problem or a spark problem. If your injectors are producing a irregular stream rather than a fine mist you'll have a combustion problem that is only obvious during cold weather.

I agree. The battery is suspect for other reasons, since we dont know the age, where it was used before that, if its rating is correct, etc. But this doesnt sound like a battery issue.

Given that its winter, I would either replace it with an autocraft silver from AAP (using a coupon to take the price down), or a Kikland from costco which tends to be a few dollars less for a good battery. Otherwise at minimum Id put the car on a good quality battery charger and ensure that it is topped up.

I seem to find the best deals on quality batteries at Costco.

It sure sounds like your battery is on it's way out. Sorry.

If it's old replace it. I've never gotten more than 7 years out of a battery. The last one gave indication but I ignored that, and then of course it wouldn't start after a cold snap.

Don't remove the battery cable while running to test the altenator. It can cause a large voltage spike which can damage electronics.

thanks all! i ahd no idea pulling the neg cable can fry electronics. it was some mec hanic who was out int he woods, working on someones 92 [censored] car. he admitted it was the redneck way...but it works, but didnt mention anything about it rsking electronics.
i have a digital mutilmeter. learned from youtube hours ago, how to test..gunna check the battery volts in a few..then red wire for meter onto battery pos post, black wire form meter too nut bolt grounded in engine. if it drops, the volts, it the alternator i belive i heard...

If there is a bad cell, water wont fix it. As long as the electrolyte covers the plates, the level is OK If the top of the battery is dirty it will conduct to ground.

Eh, jsut got back form autozone. got a new battery, valuecraft, for $101..but got $5 back
smirk.gif
changed it in parking lot their.
I had a small battery/alternator tester i bought i forgot i had....shows a light, if battery is dead, ro dying , needs charge. Grounded black wire per instructions to frame, used positive wire and tested..poor battery light lit up. used my multimeter set on 12 volts..it showed 12.47, should be 12.61. so replaced it. had no pro starting the car with old battery this time around.
I saw advance auto has thier batterys, with a promo code get 15% off=$25. called, but its online purchasing, and i could bring the coupon in, but my printer is down
smirk.gif
always something...
Eh, i look at it this way. its a requirement* the battery. better than going out who knows, tomorrow, worst time, and it not starting at all.

What i didnt like, was the battery was a self maintenance one i hate those! Mostly becasue you cannot add water if needed. Years ago, i used to get my batterys from NAPA, back in the 90's and early 2000's. I hated them because the ones they always had in stock,w ere self maintenance ones. and they died 8 months too a year.
On a positive not..cute red head chick working at autozone, came out as i was using small utility pliers to unscrew the small nuts off cable connections to post..was checking me out, smiled, smoking a cigg; ) said hi to her, she nodded, soflty almost not spoken saying hi back, smiled went back in...wish i could get her number...im terrible at things like that. too shy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back