Should I switch to Synthetic - 99 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if my old 99 Camry could benefit from synthetic oil. It has 110k on the odometer and has had a diet of 5W-30 (dino) all it's life. Considering the 2.2 L 5S-FE is a sludger, would a synthetic motor oil provide more cleaning power than a dino oil?

Over the years I used what ever oil was on sale at Autozone and changed it out every 3k-3.5k.

Back in May my mechanic changed the valve cover seal, the car had about 102k on it at the time.

Here are a few pics I took:

zx2kqp.jpg

2ql7vkj.jpg

34f0eoi.jpg

How would does this engine look in terms of cleanliness?

I was thinking maybe trying Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 since it's recommended for engines with more than 75000 miles. My only worry is that synthetic will slip past the seals and start leaking.

-Thanks

My buddy tried synthetic in his old Camry (97?) - leaks everywhere. Switched to Maxlife Red Bottle - problem solved. Just run Maxlife, cheap at Walmart.

I have a Japanese car a few years older than yours, inline-4. I can't use synthetic as it makes a small leak it has 10x worse.

If yours is truly dry right now, you might be ok with synthetic.

Mobil 1 5w-30 High Mileage might be ok as it will condition the seals (however in my car even the high mileage formula of Mobil 1 made the leak worse).

However, any high mileage oil would be richer in additives and most high mileage oils are now semi-synthetic like Maxlife and Mobil Super High Mileage. I previously tried to avoid semi-synthetics, but I can't anymore as most HM products now are.

If it was my car, not sure: I might want to gamble and try the Mobil 1 High mileage like you, or I might play it safer and go with Maxlife, in my opinion it's probably the best of the not fully synthetic, high mileage oils.

Of course, you've taken care of the engine with conventional at the short intervals. I'm sure many will suggest you continue what you have been doing, and I don't think that is a bad idea either!

Thanks everyone, I'll prob keep the car on dino or semi synth.

Could I do 4000 mile intervals on a good semi synth?

If you are looking for 4k to 5k on a good semisynth with some cleaning, I'd look at Motorcraft semi.

There are others, probably just as good, but the UOAs from that oil in city driving are pretty hard to beat.

It looks perfectly fine, I'd be running a quality dino and sleeping easy if I were you. No need to go HM if it isn't leaking or consuming. My 1992 Chevy with over 100k miles has no consumption issues and I run nothing but regular dino like Valvoline and Pennzoil and it loves every minute of it. Keep up the 3,000 mile OCIs with decent filters and you'll be golden.

I appreciate all the input & info.

If I stay with dino what brands would you guys recommend?

I've used Mobil Super 5000, Quaker State, Valvoline, and Peak over the years.

Originally Posted By: Swift101

I'm using PYB right now and my truck idles noticeably quieter on Pennzoil than it did with Valvoline. Plus it has a reputation for having a strong additive pack for anti-wear and cleanliness. I trust Pennzoil 100% so I'm gonna recommend it.

How'd you like Mobil Super 5000? Did it run smoother or quieter than anything else? The use of titanium instead of moly makes me slightly nervous but I might try it to get over this (probably) irrational fear.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

I'm using PYB right now and my truck idles noticeably quieter on Pennzoil than it did with Valvoline. Plus it has a reputation for having a strong additive pack for anti-wear and cleanliness. I trust Pennzoil 100% so I'm gonna recommend it.

How'd you like Mobil Super 5000? Did it run smoother or quieter than anything else? The use of titanium instead of moly makes me slightly nervous but I might try it to get over this (probably) irrational fear.

I can't say I ever noticed a major different with Mobil Super 5000, I ran the car hard in the summer heat no problems. It certainly wasn't light colored after 3k but then again my commute is almost all stop and go.

I never got it lab tested but it still flowed well when I changed it out. The engine sounded no smoother or quieter than with any other oil I've used. I can't remember ever using PYB, I will give it a shot.

I can't say I ever noticed a major different with Mobil Super 5000, I ran the car hard in the summer heat no problems. It certainly wasn't light colored after 3k but then again my commute is almost all stop and go.

I never got it lab tested but it still flowed well when I changed it out. The engine sounded no smoother or quieter than with any other oil I've used. I can't remember ever using PYB, I will give it a shot.

Thanks for the feedback. If you're into the idea, then yes, run PYB with confidence. It's a very popular choice here among forum members and won't let you down.

I'd choose an oil with high cleaning abilities and tailor my selection to the oil change interval I wanted. If you plan on putting on many miles in a year, I'd use a synthetic and if you don't put a lot of miles on in a year, I'd go with a conventional oil. With your car not having to take in account warranty issues I'd factor in 2 changes a year to choose an oil.
Value wise in a conventional oil, Mobil Super 5000 is hard to beat and is easily available. PYB would be my second choice.
If you go the synthetic route and longer intervals, above 5k, PP would be my 1st choice because of it's cleaning and you can find it easily. If you're not doing your own changes, my fav oil is made by Kendall and is available at Firestone.
There are many other good choices but I'd pick one brand and run it for a couple of intervals before switching by buying 2 or 3 changes worth to get best prices.
With the age of your car I'd factor that in as well and consumption. Good luck in your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back