0W-20 in a BMW M-60

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could I figure out if this would be a good idea or not? No such oil was available when the incredibly complex BMW recommended oil chart for my 530i was produced, but 5W-30 is certainly allowed and I do use it (actually M1 0W-30). Just wondering, if I try a 20-weight how would I "test" it to see if it is "working"?

It uses almost no oil between changes now, and makes no weird ticking or any other noises. So I think the engine is sound. I just want to make startup as easy as possible in the currently harsh northern Wisconsin winter, where the car sits outside unprotected.

If you have an oil pressure gauge, try the 0w20 and see if the pressure is maintained. There are some 'thick' 0w20s like Red Line 0w20 (HTHS 2.9) -- they're basically light 30s.

If you do not have an oil pressure gauge, there won't be a good way to tell. I would stick with the ACEA A3/B4 oils.

0W-30 should be fine for winter flow. I'm not sure if a 0w-20 would be an issue in that engine, but I don't see a reason to try it.

Mobil 1 0w-30 is pretty light as it's aimed at fuel economy.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Considering that European cars today typically go a bit on the thick side of recommendations, even something like Castrol 0w-30 (GC) is a heavy 30 weight, not much lighter than M1 0w-40, I'd probably play it safe and leave the 0w-20 for very different applications!

Last edited:
My Audi that was only a bit older than your BMW would allow for 5w-20 under certain conditions. I don't doubt that it's possible to do it in your case, given the right conditions and using precautions.

But, I would wonder why. You can have decent cold start with any 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30, or 5w-40, including things like GC and M1 0w-40. 0w-20 won't be any cheaper than M1 0w-40. At least with choices like that, you're not compromising cold cranking numbers, nor are you sacrificing reasonable viscosity.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the M1 0w-30 you're using now, though, either.

It sounds like your engine runs well on the M1 0w30. I would stick with that.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
How could I figure out if this would be a good idea or not? No such oil was available when the incredibly complex BMW recommended oil chart for my 530i was produced, but 5W-30 is certainly allowed and I do use it (actually M1 0W-30). Just wondering, if I try a 20-weight how would I "test" it to see if it is "working"?

It uses almost no oil between changes now, and makes no weird ticking or any other noises. So I think the engine is sound. I just want to make startup as easy as possible in the currently harsh northern Wisconsin winter, where the car sits outside unprotected.

I would seriously like to know why would you do it?
Why even M1 0W30 when it does not meet ACEA or BMW standard for that engine?
Go with Castrol 0W30 GC if you want 0 oil for a winter.

Stick with oils that meet the BMW spec... Isn't it LL-01 or something like that?

Mobil 1 0w-30 does not. Castrol 0w-30 does. Mobil 1 0w-40 does.

Well first off, there is no spec for this engine and year other than "Brand name engine oil, rated SG". No LL-01 or anything else.

And 0W-20 is going to be thinner at low temperatures than 0W-30, right? That's why I asked. My ECHO and Sienna start much better with 20-weight than they do with heavier oil. So went my thinking.

Yeah, OK dumb idea, nvm. Thanks for the bandwidth.

It's not a dumb idea at all.
I've been routinely running a 0W-20 during the winter in my Bimmer for years. The only reason I'm not this winter is that the 0W-30 is pretty light (HTHSV 2.9-3.0cP) and I only have about 3,500kms on it so it's a waste to dump it.

To run a 0W-20 as dparm pointed out, it's best to have an oil pressure gauge to monitor your operational viscosity. The second choice would be an oil temp's gauge, and if your oil temp's don't climb much above 80C a 0W-20 is the ideal lubricant with plenty of viscosity reserve even if your oil temp's hit 90C.

If you don't have gauges you can rely on ambient temp's although it is less precise. If the temperature stays below 20F you simply will not be able to generate oil temp's much above 80C not matter how long and hard you drive your car.
And if you're doing mostly short trips of under 10 miles or so you're not going to be getting your oil temp's very high even under warmer ambient conditions of say 50F.
And if you have a mild spell and you think the oil may be getting up to normal oil temp's of 93C-95C just avoid using WOT, which reduces an engines viscosity requirements drastically.

Well that is how it is being driven. My daughter uses it at school and I found out that she has been driving it between the dorms and school most days - often in below zero weather. So a lot of short tripping with an occasional trip home. The school is far north in Wisconsin where it has been very cold lately.

No pressure gauge unfortunately, I knew that would be a good indicator. I might see about adding one and testing the oil over Christmas when I will have the car for a month.

Well that is how it is being driven. My daughter uses it at school and I found out that she has been driving it between the dorms and school most days - often in below zero weather. So a lot of short tripping with an occasional trip home. The school is far north in Wisconsin where it has been very cold lately.

No pressure gauge unfortunately, I knew that would be a good indicator. I might see about adding one and testing the oil over Christmas when I will have the car for a month.

Idk, man. Do whatever you think you should do, but I would put there GC 0W30 or M1 0W40.
It is old fashioned European engine that simply loves heavier oils.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
kschachn said:
I'd put there GC 0W30 or M1 0W40.

That's an old wife's tell.
Both GC and M1 0W-40 are heavier than necessary for optimum winter use. The M1 0W-30 he is using now actually exceeds the specified viscosity requirements of his engine as it does for my somewhat newer M52 engine.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Idk, man. Do whatever you think you should do, but I would put there GC 0W30 or M1 0W40.

I think with the short tripping, any oil will be heavy.

Lotl you're right which means TGMO 0W-20 would still be too heavy, but on the hwy trip it won't be.
As the car is being driven conservatively I think a 0W-20 would be an ideal winter engine lube.

I'll post it on Saturday when I see the vehicle next. I think the chart does allow 5W-20 for cold weather, but that was most certainly some inferior dino oil available in 1994. I think old charts are pretty much useless these days, irrespective of the fact that a lot of automakers seem to persist publishing them in today's manuals. I've seen some that really don't make sense.

I never know what people mean when they say an engine likes a certain oil. Everybody always says BMWs "like" thick oil but what is that supposed to mean?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
kschachn, I'm curious what you're '94 BMW M60 oil recommendation chart and related literature says from your drivers manual.
Can you post it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back