Amsoil HDD 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to try this in the Clio for the winter period.

Later versions of this engine are specced for 5w30 though ours is an 06 and specced for 0w40, 5w40 and 10w40.

Needs A3, B3, B4

But this is Acea A3, B3, E3, E5 and has lots of other certification relating to lgv diesels. Including CI 4+. That was a spec that my Taxi could take and it was also specced for B4.

B4 from my knowledge is the diesel spec for direct injected diesels.

So i think it is nothing more than an oversight on the labelling as the product is more intended for NA and Canada.

The filter will be a quality one either Bosch or Renault.

Looking tonleave this in till around April/May when it starts to get a little warmer.

Main consideration is the wife now does much fewer miles due to a house move and almost all miles are now round town. Though no much in stop start traffic but some short journeys of less than 5 miles. Stop for half an hour then back again with occasional runs of up to 15miles.

Car used to run 12miles then park up then run the return after the same times as above on quiet country roads and a little urban.

Note we are talking suburbs of London and largely off peak use.

Annual miles were 18k usually for last 4 years.

Now i think it will be lucky to crack 8k.

Us3d to change the oil 2 or 3 times a years. Mileage dependant usually done at 6-8k.

Looking to stick with 2 oci a year. So likely 4k or thereabouts.

This is why i am thinking of copying the plan of some bitogers in the US and Canada and running a colder weather oil and a summer oil. Temps don't get much below freezing really.

They may hover just above freezing during the day but due to being in outer London temps don$t drop to -10 or similar very often.

More likely -5 or so.

All comments welcome.

I'm running this for the first time in my Jetta TDI right now. I have about 6,000 miles on the oil, and intend to take a UOA sample at 10k. As luck would have it, I sent a VOA sample to Blackstone this week, and expect to post the results in a day or so, so stay tuned.

Sounds positive.

Hesitated a bit with this one.

As i can get 5 litres of Mobil 1 0w40 for £30.

But this is £70 for 4.7 litres(5 US Quarts) from Opieoils.

Luckily the Clio takes 4.5 litres

A pity that buying these products in the UK is so expensive.

But £70 oil + £10(max) for an oil filter twice a year won't break the bank. Especially now this vehicle really will be operating under what i call severe service.

Going to order the oil after Christmas.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Sounds positive.

Hesitated a bit with this one.

As i can get 5 litres of Mobil 1 0w40 for £30.

But this is £70 for 4.7 litres(5 US Quarts) from Opieoils.

Luckily the Clio takes 4.5 litres

A pity that buying these products in the UK is so expensive.

But £70 oil + £10(max) for an oil filter twice a year won't break the bank. Especially now this vehicle really will be operating under what i call severe service.

Going to order the oil after Christmas.

In case you missed it, a link to my VOA for this oil below. This looks like outstanding oil. Good luck and keep us posted on how it performs for you in your Clio.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3221151/Amsoil_Series_3000_HDD_5w-30_V

"Later versions of this engine are specced for 5w30 though ours is an 06 and specced for 0w40, 5w40 and 10w40."

Simple..get a bucket of 10w-40 HDEO and dont worry.
-10 degC is no match for it and its probably way cheaper
than the passcar oils you mentioned.
Get something with API CI or higher.
70 pounds should get you a 20 liter bucket...

I would continue to use the Mobil 1 0w40 it's a good oil and you can change it twice as often and still save money at the prices you can buy for, what are you hoping to gain by using the Amsoil?

I could indeed continue with 0w40 Mobil 1 but the use the vehicle is now seeing has changed hence my thoughts on a change to 5w30 for Winter.

I could always just start with Magnatec A3/B4 in 5w30 flavour for £22 per four litres and top off with some 0w40 I have leftover from the last OCI

10w40 was too thick for this engine in the colder weather as it was slow to turn over with Maxlife diesel 10w40. So I don't want to run the risk of using a 10w40 in cold weather again.

Some mornings the wife does the school run, this adds about 8 miles but is is slowish traffic, then goes to her first client (home Carer) but on other days she runs the 2miles to the first client and switches off.

Prior to the house move the car did a minimum of 12 mile on country roads and some built up area before getting to the client.

I am hoping to maximise the economy if possible by using a slightly thinner oil as it don't think it will get fully hot on a normal day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back