Slowing Leak from Rear Main Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggests, the rear main on my truck has gone from annoying to being a real problem. For a long time, I could tell it was leaking (oil dripping from inside flywheel inspection plate), but I could never observe it dripping while running, and I only had to top up the oil occasionally.

Lately it's going through a half quart every 2-3 days (300 miles or so) and is beginning to have the burning oil smell while stopped in traffic, from oil getting on the hot exhaust. I have no idea what caused it to go from a slow leak to a rather quick one, but I did notice that on my last top-up, I put about 3/4 a quart too much in. Could the oil level in the sump make the leak worse?

What kind of band-aides exist for slowing a leaky seal? I bought a new seal and intend to change it soon, but have to wait for a weekend when the weather is decent. Luckily the transmission doesn't have to come out, but getting the oil pan off looks to be a real chore with the crossmember being so close to it. Anyone replace the RMS on a 460, if so, how long do you think it will take?

Any ideas, suggestions on how to slow the leak, or any other helpful info would be appreciated.

Try high mileage 10w30 or 10w40 i use pennzoil and had great luck with it...That 460 is a pain to change when the engine is in the vehicle when it is out its pretty easy

Ive actually used the rislone rear main seal stuff and it worked perfeclty. May gibe it a shot.

Half quart every 300 miles isn't exactly slow.

However, I've had good luck with Berryman B-7 Chemseal. It's mainly for automatic transmissions but it can be used in engines as well. Its worked for me.

Does this have a rope seal? I had an 2.8L S10 with a rope seal, and when it was gone, it was gone. Replacing was a pain but I wonder if it would be easier on this--probably not, the 4x4 stuff is in the way I bet. I was able to pop exhaust and drive shaft, remove radiator IIRC, and yank it up just enough to get the oil pan out so I could get to the cap.

Was not a fun job...

The 460 had a rope seal at one time, but I think they abandoned that in the late 70's or early 80's. The replacement seal I bought is a two piece rubber dealy, which is what I suspect I'll find when I open it up. Either way the rope seal can be replaced with this new rubber one without too much extra effort, or so I've read.

4x4 stuff / front driveshaft doesn't seem to be in the way, it's that huge crossmember that completely hinders access to a good 2/3 of the oil pan. I was able to get to all the oil pan bolts a few months ago (tightened them all, thinking that could be a source of the leak) but it wasn't fun. Took a u-joint, lots of different sized ratchet extensions and lots of blind turning where you weren't really sure if you were getting the bolt head or not.

I suppose I can raise the engine off its perches maybe.... Either way I've got two days this weekend to do it, and it's gotta get done! I was sure hoping it would hold out till Spring, but such is life.

It's worn out. Nothing will "fix" it. Even oils with "Seal Swell" only swell the seals a tiny fraction.

If you can, use a "Speedi Sleeve" on the crankshaft prior to installing the seal. It will ensure the worn crank does not continue to cause a leak.

I've always wondered if that "seal in a can" miracle stuff would just prematurely wear out any other seals in the engine.

Good luck. IIRC mine was done with a bit colorful language. I was also younger, and dumber, and willing to bend a few things that got in my way...

When they get that bad the seal is usually torn. Just keep checking the oil and try not to drive it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back