Coolant for 1994 Accord LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canadian here, looking for a good coolant for my 1994 Accord. My thermostat just got messed up and I believe it is stuck open since my temp. gauge stays on cool but climbs to normal during idle then goes back down when I'm in high speeds. I guess I might as well replace the coolant. Any suggestions?

'94 Honda is old enough that you can run old school green or pretty much anything you want. Try to flush out as much as possible, though-that's what seems to mess up my thermostats.

Yes, Prestone will do the trick. However, it contains 2EHA. I have not seen a formal release, but some say Honda does not endorse said acid in its engines. Actually, any good coolant will do the trick, as long as you change it frequently enough. Checking your engine ground cables and battery negative wire will also help.

Last edited:
Conventional green destroyed the water pump on my dad's '95 Accord, and the '94 Accord is very similar. I would use Zerex Asian, Beck/Arnley green, or OEM Honda coolant only.

hey guys, so I went to walmart and looked for zerex asian but they didnt have any. I found prestone and STP Asian.... which one should I buy?

Originally Posted By: imcharlescee
hey guys, so I went to walmart and looked for zerex asian but they didnt have any. I found prestone and STP Asian.... which one should I buy?

Since STP Asian is a hybrid OAT coolant, I would choose STP.
Prestone is an OAT coolant, so it doesn't have the same inhibitors as STP or the OEM coolant.

I'm glad to see more Asian vehicle coolants out there. Why so many cars can be on our roads, and yet have so few coolants that match OEM really surprises me.

Originally Posted By: imcharlescee

Neither.

The STP Asian is made by Recochem and is a premix - water and coolant in a 50/50 solution. If you're doing a complete flush and change, you won't be able to get a 50/50 mix with it since there is always a bit of water left after the flush.

Prestone contains 2-EHA, a plasticizer. I tried it some years ago in a 1990 Civic with very bad results vis a vis the gaskets.

Go with any of the OEM Asian coolants or G-05 (Mercedes, Chrysler, and Ford have used it).

I already have toyota factory red coolant on hand for two of my other vehicles, so i started using it in my 94 accord with no ill effects. Plus its a concentrate which i like and mix it with distilled water.

Its a phosphate coolant ( organic ) and you dont have to worry about e2ha junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back