Quaker State Ultimate Durabiltiy 5w-30 Caution!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Chevy Traverse, Severe driving, short commute, 2500 was summer vacation miles in one week. Oil was changed in late July. OLM showed 25% left. Note was viscosity low...

DATE SAMPLED 03-Dec-13
DATE RECEIVED 13-Dec-13
DATE REPORTED 16-Dec-13
SIF NO.
TIME ON UNIT 16,000
TIME ON OIL 6,000
OIL BRAND
OIL TYPE
OIL GRADE
OIL ADDED
FILTER
OIL CHANGED

Quaker State
Ult Durability
SAE 5W30

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 24
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) 9
Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al) 7
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V)
Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 10
Sodium (Na) 12
Potassium (K) Water (%) Coolant No

Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 11
Calcium (Ca) 2146
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 653
Zinc (Zn) 808
Molybdenum (Mo) 47
Boron (B) Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.9
Physical / Chemical
Base Number 2.8

I think you should update the title to "CHEVY OLM OVER OPTIMISTIC CAUTION."

Isnt that the DI engine GM has been having a few issues with?

you also left out the fuel % or flashpoint

Last edited:
I dont know the universal averages so is this bad or good? Im running QSUD in the Uplander and it sees ONLY short trips...well 95% of the time anyway.

Isn't the DI 3.6 V6 in that vehicle one of the ones that GM stated as having a very optimistic OLM? The OLM in my '12 Cruze is similarly optimistic, and I view 25% as "Change oil now".

Yep, the old-formula QSUD has a tendency to shear a little bit as it wears out. I've seen the exact same thing happen in my Cruze when running it to 9000+ miles, which is why I change it earlier now.

Was this the new gold-bottle QSUD or the old formula clear-bottle QSUD?

You really shouldnt blame the oil for your result in your car.

I dont want to start a debate, but its an American car you always need to be careful with them.

Also your car is still new until 50k on unit , abnormal readings are fine.

QSUD is well respected here, i would suggest you step up to mobil1 extended for time being and keep OCI to 5k and use p1 or mobil1 as filter and see what you get in next UOA.

Just use a PCMO that exceeds DEXOS specs on sale with a 6K OCI.

This is nothing to due with the oil. Your engine runs very rich and trashes a oil.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

I dont want to start a debate, but its an American car you always need to be careful with them.

QSUD is well respected here, i would suggest you step up to mobil1 extended for time being and keep OCI to 5k and use p1 or mobil1 as filter and see what you get in next UOA.

You mean, it's a GM 3.6 V6 with original too-generous OLM programming that has since been fixed, but not on the OP's vehicle. If it had been, the OLM would have read 25% at about 3750 miles, since the direct-injected 3.6 V6 can be pure murder on oil, especially in a heavy crossover.

Being an American make has nothing to do with it. The engine in the Traverse is hard on oil. Plain and simple. ****, the same oil goes 7500-8000 miles just fine in my 1.4T-powered American car. It's all in the engine, regardless of nationality.

If you don't want to start a debate (Or argument) don't make statements like; "but its an American car you always need to be careful with them.". Since American cars are what 95% of my family and most of my neighbors drive with no real problems.

Have no issues with QSUD here...cars all like it here.

Those DI engines are hard on oil, as others have stated....

They gave the report a caution, not me. I can only figure for the low viscosity?

That is why I posted the results. Why would there be a caution?

BTW I love Quaker State, and have no intentions of changing brands. I also run it in my company van. That however gets more driving time.

Meh.... it went from a 10.53 to a 8.9. No big deal, it held up better than most of the Dexos UOAs I've seen.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

You mean, it's a GM 3.6 V6 with original too-generous OLM programming that has since been fixed, but not on the OP's vehicle. If it had been, the OLM would have read 25% at about 3750 miles, since the direct-injected 3.6 V6 can be pure murder on oil, especially in a heavy crossover.

Being an American make has nothing to do with it. The engine in the Traverse is hard on oil. Plain and simple. ****, the same oil goes 7500-8000 miles just fine in my 1.4T-powered American car. It's all in the engine, regardless of nationality.

I an not sure at all. But ain,t The 1.4 litre turbo petrol a Opel engine developed in germany?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Those DI engines are hard on oil, as others have stated....

Why are DI engines hard on oil?

Is that true across the board or specific to this engine?

From much of what I've been reading, Seems that DI engines have a ways to go before they work out all the bugs. Am I wrong?

You asked: "Why are DI engines hard on oil?" For one, in my Cadillac 3.6DI, there are 3 timing chains and the engine loves to rev when you punch it, spinning the heck out of those chains. Also, in all DI engines (to my knowledge), the fuel is injected under sick pressure directly into the cylinders. Add that to the high compression you have a perfect formula for blow by especially when cold.

To Finz,
Almost all manufacturers have DI engines in some of their vehicles now and they are lasting well if you change the oil. Just because an engine design beats up oil doesn't mean it has things to work out. Just consider how turbos beat up oil, no one seems to think they need to be "fixed". DI engines produce an incredible amount of power from relatively small engines. The new DI V6's produce a lot more power than most of the 80's and 90's V8's. In fact, some of the new 4 cylinder DI's do also.

This is my opinion derived from reading this and many car blogs and articles.

Last edited:
Thank goodness for the early adopters who are working out the bugs.

It should be obvious that some mfgrs have figured out the implementation of DI better than others.

And ANY engine with a high performance state of tune will experience fuel dilution under certain conditions no matter the oil. There is little to suggest this causes any real harm either.

the car in my sig is factory spec'd for 3000 mile oil changes on M1 0w-40! This is strictly due to fuel dilution concerns.

Made way back in 05...

Originally Posted By: Rand
you also left out the fuel % or flashpoint

Looks like this was a NAPA / WIX kit, they don't provide fuel or flashpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back