MMO For 4K to 5K Mile OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe MMO is only tested to a 3,000 mile OCI - just curious if anyone has run a 10% to 20% ratio MMO to oil for a 4,000 to 5,000 mile / 4 month OCI ? Any potential issues ? Plan to use for a mild winter cleaning and easier start up with PYB - expect to dump it by April and switch over to QSUD , PP or M1 and extend the OCI.

IIRC, MMO even states that you can use upto 25% for an OCI. IDK for what length of time but, PYB should be enough all by itself as would just about any of todays SN/GF-5 oils. Unless you have sludge/varnish issues!

It's typicaly recomended to run a short(er) OCI(< /- 3k) when running a cleaning OCI...and then run a cheap(er) oil, e.g. W*M ST or similar for ~2K miles as a rinse OCI before running the Synthetics that you mentioned for exteneded OCI's.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I believe MMO is only tested to a 3,000 mile OCI - just curious if anyone has run a 10% to 20% ratio MMO to oil for a 4,000 to 5,000 mile / 4 month OCI ? Any potential issues ? Plan to use for a mild winter cleaning and easier start up with PYB - expect to dump it by April and switch over to QSUD , PP or M1 and extend the OCI.

I've used it a few times for up to 5000 miles over the winter with no problems at about a 20% ratio. Having said that if you feel or know the engine is dirty I'd run it 3,000 miles and dump it.

OP you can search the UOA section there are a few UOA's with the addition of MMO that were very good. You can get an idea from there how long the MMO was in service. Having said that in an engine that is reasonably clean a 4,000-5,000 mile OCI is not a problem, just check the oil level because it can flash off in some cases and require topping up. If you have to top up, top up with oil or oil mixed with 20% MMO if you feel you want to maintain the ratio.

If you suspect the engine is dirty, or had a ticking lifter I'd change the oil out at 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

Chris,

Just use M1 or PP now for the cleaning. Have you looked under the valve cover to see what it looks like?

Regards, JC.

I would listen to Donald. Here in the deep South our start up temps get somewhat cold but not terrible cold. Just use a light oil such as 0w20 or 5w20 that cleans and call it an oil change and skip the MMO. Just my pennies worth.

Under the valve cover is light sludge to heavy varnish - may just go with a straight PYB 5W30 until April then change over to M1 , QSUD or PP ... I'm only looking at a 4,000 mile / 4 month OCI now .

On my previous Subaru (EJ22), I used MMO for over 5K at a 20-25% ratio. Wish I had pulled the valve covers before so that I could have compared them. The top end was very clean. I would like to think that the MMO had something to do with this.

I was doing a MMO run like that every few OCI's after I bought the car. After that maybe every 5 or so. Sold the car with 230K.

Here is an under valve cover pic -

Here is a controversial pic before I put the new gasket and cover back on. I made the mistake of spraying it off the top end and sealing surface with brake cleaner before taking the pic. Some people whined about it being dry and suggested that I did more external cleaning or who knows what. I can assure you that it was just as clean before the pic. The brake cleaner just blew off the residual oil that was on before -

Forgot to add that I just did a 20% ratio with 5w20 in my Corolla to start the varnish cleaning process. I plan on 5K this time also.

I buy the MMO gallons at my local WM. $16 and some change so it's a pretty good deal. Just bought two more the other day to add to the pile of goodies.

Those pics remind me or a 200+K mile Toyota a college buddy of mine had. He ran 20% MMO at every oil change, something his dad did dating back to the early 1950's IIRC. I helped him change a VC gasket when we were in college in the late 1970's and his valve train was spotless.

I put a mere 8 oz in our aging Lumina a few weeks ago. Checked its oil yesterday and it has turned black already. Happens every time I put MMO in a dirty engine.

Over the last 35 years or so, I've run MMO the entire OCI on many vehicles. Always had excellent results with MMO.
"FEAR NO DONALD"-he read one article, and plays the 'lubricity' card every chance he gets. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just know from decades of experience MMO works, and works well

Originally Posted By: steve20
Over the last 35 years or so, I've run MMO the entire OCI on many vehicles. Always had excellent results with MMO.
"FEAR NO DONALD"-he read one article, and plays the 'lubricity' card every chance he gets. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just know from decades of experience MMO works, and works well

I see I'm in good company,
11.gif
the only difference is I have a few years on you. LOL

Should be seek shelter?
27.gif

Surprised all the haters have not chimed in yet...

I'm down to two additives that I use, MMO and Lubegard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back