Chrysler 3.5l HO possible Rocker Arm failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed recently that on cold starts my start up noise is beginning to be a bit louder and have noticed what appears to be a slight knock. After doing some research I've found that rocker arm failures aren't unheard of for this engine. I've taken the following video, what do you think?

This video is after the engine has fully warmed and as you can tell there is a slight knock. It becomes easier to hear when I scan over the intake manifold, it tends to muffle the sound of the belt and injectors.

Last edited:
I withdraw my previous statement...nice catch on the bracket.

Any recent changes to oil, filtration, coolant, or any of the levels of those?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I withdraw my previous statement...nice catch on the bracket.

Any recent changes to oil, filtration, coolant, or any of the levels of those?

I used MaxLife for the past two OCIs (roughly 1 year, 12k miles). Currently I've got 10w30 T5 in there. Air filter hasn't been changed in about 18 months. Coolant was changed with G-05 last December (2011).

Here's why I'm not sure. This video is of a guy shortly out of the dealership for a rocker arm and valve repair.

You'd expect it to be quiet, but it's not. It sounds essentially the same as mine now, yet his was after the repair had been made. Not sure what other sign I can look for other than pulling the valve covers off and having a look. I'm on the fence on this one.

The rocker arm went on my 3.5 and it sounded something like that, but i think mine was more pronounced it was more like shaking marbles in a can, maybe the video muffles it a bit , hope i'm wrong.

Shameful bump
frown.gif

If a visual inspection will help you sleep at night and drive during the day, do it. I don't know much about the 3.5 but the sound could be a normal development with miles.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
Hey Ram any updates on the noise issue??.

Nope, no updates. Still does it every now and then. When I get the title of the car transferred and transfer the warranty over to my mom I think I'll have her take it in for inspection when she's able to.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Originally Posted By: hemitom
Hey Ram any updates on the noise issue??.

Nope, no updates. Still does it every now and then. When I get the title of the car transferred and transfer the warranty over to my mom I think I'll have her take it in for inspection when she's able to.
I don't think its the rocker arms, when my went the noise was constant.

I have something similar going on with the pacifica. Ordered new rocker assembly. Will let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back