I may switch to conventional because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love changing my oil. When I drain synthetics at 6k it seems to be a waste. In South Dakota winters I'll put the synthetic oils in to help flow but I'm secretly dying inside because I want to change it after 4k. I secretly enjoy it! Longest I've ever gone on an oil was 7,400 miles. And that was with Mobil 1. I couldn't take it. I had to drain it and put something else in! Still had a strong TBN of 3.7 too.

Anyone else feel like this?

While I'm doing it I hate getting dirty and mucky but man I feel good afterwards. Taking the car for that initial spin after putting an approximate amount in, bringing it back - checking the oil level, adding a bit, then wiping the dipstick off, doing it again and getting it JUST perrrfect.

Can't change my oil in either car right now because I only got 4k on the Castrol and 1k on the Pennzoil. Blah, it's driving me nuts. Best course of action for me is to find those cheap conventionals on clearance or hit up the Havoline $1.99 deals and the Shell Formula $1.99 deals when they pop up!

I also understand how you feel. I made the switch on my Accord to conventional as I feel it will work "fine just fine" for me in my application.

So... go for it.

You'd be putting decomposed dinosaur bodies in your engine; you know that right?
grin2.gif

Sounds like you might be a good candidate for a 6 month OCI! Synthetic every October for winter's cold and el cheapo dino each April.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Sounds like you might be a good candidate for a 6 month OCI! Synthetic every October for winter's cold and el cheapo dino each April.

This is precisely what I've been doing. Lots of short trips (2-3km), so a little leery to run a full 1yr OCI. The -30*C temperatures last week made me feel as though the extra cost of the synthetic was a good investment.

Quote:
Anyone else feel like this?

Yep! In fact, (and I'm almost ashamed to admit this) back when I first joined the Air Force, the first base I was stationed at had an auto hobby shop. It was a pretty cool place where you could work on your vehicle, they had a tool crib where they loaned tools and you could rent a lift for $2 an hour. Anyway, this base was pretty much in the middle of nowhere so there wasn't much to do. However, the small town down the road had a Wal-Mart. Long story short, just for something to do I would go over to Wal-Mart, buy 4 qts and a filter and head to the auto hobby shop every time I got paid and change my oil. So basically I was changing my oil every 2 weeks and I did this for the almost 2 years I was stationed there!

Of course I would never do anything like that again, and knowing what I know now, even if I was in the same situation, I wouldn't do it. But at the time (98-00), Valvoline was $1.16 a quart and I was bored. But man, looking back, what a waste of oil!

If you are going with short OCI and think synthetic is a waste of money. Why not go with the walmart oil, its like $17 for a 5-qt jug of synthetic where I live. This would give you the benefits of a synthetic at the price of a conventional oil.

Since I do the oil changes on my fleet of five below, I appreciate a max interval of at least one year with the exception of the Speed3, which is very hard on oil including fuel dilution.

I agree with the satisfaction of completing a mechanical task to perfection and KNOWING it has been done just right. I always have that gnawing doubt when someone else works on my car like a couple of months ago when I blew a shock and the shop put standard Mazda3 struts on the back of my Speed! It makes me wonder just how much they get away with on your typical non-discriminating car owner.

What a bunch of nutters we are!! lol ...I had that same itch last week!

We go to the doctor to get a blood test, the results show a strong element of 5W30 in there hahaha

Do whatever makes you feel good. My Father, among other things in his life, was a mechanic, its bizarre how I feel closer to him when im under a car tinkering
smile.gif

Do seasonal oil changes, but keep the stuff you take out, and put it back again when the season rolls around.

That way you get to feed your serial luber obsession without the economic and environmental downsides.

You could probably devise an off-line secondary filtration system for the stuff while its out. Here in Taiwan they sell spun polypropylene filter candles for water ultra-filtration. Max tenps 60C, so no good on a car, but offline they might work quite well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem... I have less than 600 miles on my current PYB fill and I already wanna change it. Not because it's a bad oil (my filter on the other hand is questionable...) but because I just wanna buy and try a new oil!

I'm like you guys, lingering in the oil isle of Walmart and planning way too far ahead. Might go QSGB, PSB, ST, or MS5K next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back