Any reviews of Schaeffer oil?

Did a google search and picked up very little. I am interested in Schaeffer 9000 in 5W-20 for my Acura TL. It seemed positive that it met Dexos 1 and Honda HT-06 requirements (which I have not seen in a 5W-20 oil). Soluble Moly as well.

I would appreciate your input.

Old-school BITOGers would recall that this site was founded on two things,

1) exposing Lucas oil additives, and
2) promoting Schaeffer oils

I don't know if our main page still has any of the original stuff by Bob Winters. Check his earliest posts, username BOBISTHEOILGUY

Its really good oil, but they are proud of it.. and alot of their products the shipping makes uneconomical or you have to purchase in case quantity.

Sure its a good oil. But you can get a good syn from Walmart for way cheaper that protects just as well.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Did a google search and picked up very little. I am interested in Schaeffer 9000 in 5W-20 for my Acura TL. It seemed positive that it met Dexos 1 and Honda HT-06 requirements (which I have not seen in a 5W-20 oil). Soluble Moly as well.

Contact or PM salesrep here on BITOG as he is a Schaeffer's dealer.

Last edited:
Reviews? I would suggest searching through the UOA (and VOA) section to see how it performs in service. That will paint the best picture of those oils.

The only drawback is the availability. Schaeffer products are tops, but it can be hard to find even case lots. If you find reasonable quantities at a fair price, you've scored. I used Schaeffer 5W-40 in my turbo Volvo for more than the last 100,000 miles I owned it. When I sold the car with 202,000 mile sit was running strong and smooth, the turbo worked great, and the cam lobes still had some of the factory machining marks on the surface. Schaeffer's ATF kept that transmission working fine. Their syn blend grease in my Tundra's u-joints has kept them tight in very wet conditions and some frigid winter driving. 126k on the Tundra with Schaeffer's 5W-30 and ATF, and the truck drives like I remember it as new.

Very little negative feedback on Schaeffers Specialized Lubricants Products and performance through out the years.
In the past getting your hands on Schaeffer oil or grease may have depended whether or not you lived near a sales representative or not.
Today, not so much with their retail locator and/or the ease of case(s) lot shipments.

I've used Schaeffer's for the 2nd 100K on a 1996 Avalon and the last 80K on the present '06 Avalon. I've only had two UOA's done but both were exceptional. I'll continue to use it in the '06 and whatever follows.

I plan to use Schaeffer's in my, just acquired, '13 Tundra when the dealer freebies end.

I have a Schaeffer dealer about 30 miles away and given a heads up, he can have a couple of cases ready to pick up. His brother-in-law will even pick it up for me if I can't do it myself.

I agree it is probably not needed, especially for my driving, but I'll use it anyway.
John
W.TN

I use Schaeffer products (9000 5w30, 5w40, 293 gear oil, and 274 grease) in many applications with great success. Use with confidence!

I've used Schaeffer off/on for years now. Always liked their products and company. Plus, my local rep has always been great.

I've done two different UOA's on two vehicles. First was on an '09 Ranger and second was on our current '03 Corolla. Both turned out with very low wear numbers and certainly could have gone further than I took them.

It would be awesome if you posted up a UOA on the 9000 5w20! Very little info about it here, I didn't even know it existed until a couple of months ago.

Reviving a sleeping thread here. I use Schaeffer oils and lubes in my commercial trucks, ag equipment, and my personal vehicles. Since I get bigger quantities than the average buyer, I get everything I order from Schaeffer delivered free. Sometimes, they will have specials, but usually those are on drums of oil. Like getting a free case of grease with a 55 gal drum purchase and they like to throw in free oil sample kits with purchases like that also. I usually only get regular 12 qt cases of oil in an order for my personal vehicles.

The only drawback is the availability. Schaeffer products are tops, but it can be hard to find even case lots. If you find reasonable quantities at a fair price, you've scored. I used Schaeffer 5W-40 in my turbo Volvo for more than the last 100,000 miles I owned it. When I sold the car with 202,000 mile sit was running strong and smooth, the turbo worked great, and the cam lobes still had some of the factory machining marks on the surface. Schaeffer's ATF kept that transmission working fine. Their syn blend grease in my Tundra's u-joints has kept them tight in very wet conditions and some frigid winter driving. 126k on the Tundra with Schaeffer's 5W-30 and ATF, and the truck drives like I remember it as new.
Machining marks on cam lobes??? Something seriously wrong there...

Great stuff, it's all I use now. Agree with finding a good rep.

Last edited:
Back