2005 Chevy plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these platinum tips plugs know to go way passed 100k miles? I'm well over that and the engine runs/idles as good as it ever has as far as I can remember. Are GM iridium's the preferred now or aftermarket?

The other day we replaced plugs on a 2001 Suburban 5.3 with 177,000 miles which appeared to be originals. All eight still had the platinum ground pads intact, but three had the platinum center posts worn completely off. Truck was still running fairly well. The plugs were Denso with both a Denso and a GM number, neither number showed up in the plug interchanges leading me to believe they were the originals.

Just did plugs in my truck with 140k. It gave a noticeable improvement. My truck came with platinum plugs with a .052 to .056 spec. The best plug had .092 gap, with a majority over .100.

It is worth you time.

I changed the plugs on our 2002 3.1 V6 at 110k. The original plugs appeared functionally new and I did not notice any difference in running.

The plugs on our 2006 6.0 V8 were the same at 90k. Seemed basically new.

Changed the plugs at 122k for the first time on our 2005 Saturn.Looked real good,clean no oil.Replaced them with AC irudiums.

Last edited:
Did mine at 90k on my truck and they looked new. I'm never changing plugs on a GM again unless I get a misfire.

I have run oem AC Delcos to 250k miles without a code.

Just pulled them out of one of our Silverados with 130k miles and they looked like new.

I would use Delco iridiums. I have used other brands and other types in the past and the Delco (platinum back in the day and iridium) for some reason seem to make the car run better than others

I'm replacing the plugs on my 2004 Silverado over the Christmas holiday. It has nearly 80,000 miles on it. I figure now is as good of time as any.

I'm going to spray the old plugs with some PB Blaster the night before.

I'll be putting AC Delco Iridiums back in it.

It depends on the car. My 2003 ION had a noticeable drop in performance at 60,000 miles, and that was with ACDelco double platinum plugs from the factory. I had no OBDII codes, but the engine definitely ran badly. The manual said those spark plugs should only be changed at 100,000 miles!

When I ordered replacements, ACDelco iridium was all I could get. They must have decided to reduce the number of parts in their catalogs.

I am 99% sure that the AC Delco Iridiums are the 100K mile rated, NGK Laser Iridiums with an AC Delco print on them and the box.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back