Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40, '05 Harley Sportster 1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guy's,
A while ago I asked about using this oil in my Sportster and based on the advise I received decided to give it ago. As a thank you to the forum I also decided to get it tested to post here and any comments would be welcome.
My bike is not burning any oil only losing a bit of "blow by" to a catch can.
This oil is costing me $6 NZ a litre vs $25+ quart for Mobil 1 from a Mobil distributor and so I am happy with the choice.
Cheers.

Code:

OIL Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40

MILE IN USE 3100 Mi

MILES 29,876 Mi

SAMPLE 11/25/13

ALUMINIUM 3

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 8

COPPER 13

LEAD 2

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 46

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 57

SILICON 7

SODIUM 1

CALCIUM 2792

MAGNESIUM 450

PHOSPHORUS 1176

ZINC 1373

BARIUM 0

SUS V@ 210 F 69.7

cSt V@ 100 c 12.88

FLASHPOINT 420

FUEL
WATER 0

INSOLUBLES 0.3

TBN n/a

I also put this oil in the transmission/clutch and didn't really notice any difference to Harley formula+, Mobil 1 v-twin or Penrite HPR diesel 20w-60. The clutch seems fine to me (when warm).
The thing with the 15W-40 I like is the reduction in clutch drag on a cold morning. The 20W-60 was terrible.

Last edited:
Who did your UOA, Goughs ? You used to be able to order a sample kit online, but that option seems to have disappeared from their website. We have Delvac MX on tap at work, and usually use HDEO in all cars and bikes, but have moved to 10/40 for the cars and the bike needs 20/50. Good to see what it's made of.

I got the sample checked at Blackstone in the States.....crazy I know but cheaper than Gough's here in NZ. I emailed Gough's in ChCh and they reckon they rarely get bike oil, not worth it for a cheap engine they said.

I've used Goughs for bike oil, the oil sample is the same size no matter what size the engine. You repay and they send a sample bottle and return envelope, email the results. But yeah, compared to what they are monitoring a motorcycle engine is almost irrelevant.

I didn't choose Delvac because I thought it was any better than any other HDEO, only that it is really available and reasonably priced.
Rotella is not available and I think Shell market Rimula as the equivalent in N.Z. but wasn't sure so went with the Mobil product.

Originally Posted By: splineman
I didn't choose Delvac because I thought it was any better than any other HDEO, only that it is really available and reasonably priced.

and thats as good as any reason to buy it.

all of the hdeo's i've tested are good.
just some a little better than others.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back