New Honda Pilot: 3.5 VCM: What OCI??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got fed up with our Silverado and traded it on a 2014 Pilot instead. Engine is the J35Z4 3.5L VCM. For those of you who are familiar with all the early VCM problems, what OCI do you recommend for this application?

I will be using synthetic 0W-20 and Honda filters during the warranty period. About 12K annual miles with lots of cold starts and short trips under 3 miles. It's the wife's and she works at the school about a mile from the house.

I follow the OLM exclusively on my CR-V, but the K24 is easy on oil. I need to plan for 200k out of this Pilot. What are your thoughts? Is the OLM on the Pilot too long even with synthetics? I can live with some light varnish on the rear bank which seems unavoidable, but I'd prefer as clean as possible. Thanks-

I wouldn't have bought a VCM engine with hopes of it lasting that long without some work done to it.. Definitely an engine worthy of a top synthetic. With your known mileage, probably twice a year.

Use one of the top extended performance synthetics to the MM's suggestions--I mean like M1 EP, Castrol Edge Gold, and PU

I had an early K24 in my 03 accord. Ran amsoil SS 0w20 for 20-25k from about 30k onward until 100k. Never had problems. Will soon be changing oil on my mom's 06 odyssey which she is about 24.5k give or take a couple hundred. Last time i changed it at 20k and decided to go a tad farther. This was over almost a year exact. Slight varnish through the fill hole but no leaks and no makeup added. Granted each engine is different and I don't think this was in the group with vcm issues but I don't doubt the OLM will be ok to follow. I don't have as much experience with imports as domestic but I've seen a varying amount of oil conditions. My manager has an 08 pilot with 90k and runs 8k on syn and had slight issues when running longer than that. Again, I think and hope you should you should be able to follow that.

@Charlie, The VCM cylinder deactivation was available from 07-onwards I think, but it wasn't standard. Does your manager's Pilot have the VCM system? That would explain the hard time with 8k OCI's.

The 06 Ody doesn't have it.

The VCM is known to be very hard on oil.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
@Charlie, The VCM cylinder deactivation was available from 07-onwards I think, but it wasn't standard. Does your manager's Pilot have the VCM system? That would explain the hard time with 8k OCI's.

The 06 Ody doesn't have it.

The VCM is known to be very hard on oil.

The pilot yes. The odyssey has the Eco mode which they said cuts three off but idk if that's the same thing.

The Honda Odyssey offers two V6 options. Both are 3.5-liter VTEC engines rated at 244 horsepower, and are mated to a five-speed automatic transmission. The difference is that one is classified as an i-VTEC featuring Variable Cylinder Management (VCM, standard equipment on top trim levels). VCM increases fuel-efficiency by "shutting off" three of the engine's six cylinders during cruising and deceleration, and switches back to using all six cylinders when added power is needed. The VCM system, noted to increase fuel economy by as much as 12 percent over the regular VTEC V6, is virtually undetectable. As an added bonus, Honda Odyssey models with VCM are extra quiet because they're equipped with Active Noise Control (ANC) technology that works with the audio system to effectively cancel inherent noise produced by the VCM system (along with some road noise).

Vehicles equipped with VCM
2003 Honda Inspire
2005-2007 Honda Accord Hybrid (JNA1)
2005+ Honda Odyssey (USDM) EX-L and Touring Models only (J35)
2006+ Honda Civic Hybrid
2006+ Honda Pilot 2WD Models only (J35)
2008 Honda Accord except EX-L V6 6MT Coupe
2009+ Honda Pilot (all models)
2010-2012 Honda Accord V6 (except EX-L V6 6MT Coupe)
2013 Honda Accord V6 (except 6MT coupe) *VCM operation is 3- or 6-cylinder mode, no longer 3, 4, 6-cylinder operation.[1]
2011-2013 Honda Odyssey (USDM) V6
2013 Acura RDX V6
2013 Acura RLX *3 or 6 cylinder mode

Last edited:
Seems Honda didn't really do a good job with this whole VCM technology. If the engine suffers from it and requires engine work later in life, where are the "savings"?

If it requires heavy duty synthetic oil @ short intervals, just to try to keep things as clean as possible for longer, before the inevitable happens, again, where are the "savings" to the owner from having this engine vs a regular V6 from the older models. That few MPG savings get washed away with extra maintenance and possible engine work soon after the warranty period expires...
33.gif

OP, good luck!

Originally Posted By: Artem
again, where are the "savings" to the owner from having this engine vs a regular V6 from the older models. That few MPG savings get washed away with extra maintenance and possible engine work soon after the warranty period expires...

A freind of mine and I bought identical, gold colored Honda Odysseys in early 2006. His VCM, mine not. I specifically opted to NOT get the VCM because, as I told my wife at the time, "I just don't trust it".

I took some scoffing from him at the time, because his van "got a MPG ot two better". Now, after he had to De-Pax, and deal with the VMC, I am WAY ahead with the $$$, and his van is now for sale. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: Artem
again, where are the "savings" to the owner from having this engine vs a regular V6 from the older models. That few MPG savings get washed away with extra maintenance and possible engine work soon after the warranty period expires...

A freind of mine and I bought identical, gold colored Honda Odysseys in early 2006. His VCM, mine not. I specifically opted to NOT get the VCM because, as I told my wife at the time, "I just don't trust it".

I took some scoffing from him at the time, because his van "got a MPG ot two better". Now, after he had to De-Pax, and deal with the VMC, I am WAY ahead with the $$$, and his van is now for sale. Go figure.

Guess my mom got lucky.

I do an oil change every 6 months with a good synthetic on my VCM Odyssey and have not had any problems after 87K although I do plan on DePaxing the car sometime in the future

Last edited:
I've chosed to go the 5k mile OCI for the time being, as our Ody is seeing the same type of duty schedule that your Pilot will be. Wife drives it and we live about 4 miles from her work. It is the family vehicle, so about every other week we take it down to Milwaukee to see here sister.

For the first two changes I'm going with Citgo 0W-20 and a Bosch. I have a good stash of QSUD 5W-30 that I will probably use after the two Citgo runs. I'm not worried about warranty, as oil weight is not nearly as important as changing it on a regular schedule. I did let the MM go after the first OC to see what numbers and letter came up and it was A1. I'll rotate the tires every 10k and ignore the MM. Maybe in the future I'll follow the MM as it went off at just over 6k miles, so not the 8-9k that people who do mostly highway see.

I noticed a real change in engine performance about 100 miles after the first OC. It felt much more responsive and peppy, and that's even with the weather getting colder.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Use one of the top extended performance synthetics to the MM's suggestions--I mean like M1 EP, Castrol Edge Gold, and PU

There is no ow-20 oil in PU, EP...

I have the same engine as you. Do 5K mile OCI's with any good synthetic + filter combo and sleep easy.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I have the same engine as you. Do 5K mile OCI's with any good synthetic + filter combo and sleep easy.

^this. I do this with a Napa Platinum filter with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back