2013 F150 EcoBoost, 7,500 miles on factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

7,504 miles on the factory oil. The truck has seen around a thousand miles towing weights between 3,500-11,000 lbs.

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Must be a DI motor. With the fuel dilution sure dies look like it.

Fuel dilution + oil shear = DI motor

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Must be a DI motor. With the fuel dilution sure dies look like it.

Fuel dilution + oil shear = DI motor

Jeff

You got it.

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
7500 on factory fill? What's your point here?
21.gif

Just because you can doesn't mean one should.

My point was to present the results of my oil analysis to the fine community here. Do you ask everybody who posts a UOA the same question?

21.gif

Yea I would have dumped it after 1,000 miles, especially with all the towing you had planned.

Either way, it looks decent for a FF. What was the oil life @?

7500mi FF on a twin turbo full size truck with towing ?..
Um yea I would have changed it early to get the break in junk out.

probably around 3000.

25$ worth of oil is alot cheaper than a turbo 10000 miles early from running sheared down oil that also suffered fuel dilution.

Page 266 of your OM applies

no towing for first 1000 miles and service vehicle more frequently if you tow a trailer.

I wouldnt have a problem going 7500 oci in that vehicle but doing it on FF with towing.. bleh.

Double the iron and five times the copper of the universal averages? Even while breaking in that is a lot of wear metals--speaking for myself, I would have dumped the FF at 1.5K-2K and again at 5K, before settling into a reasonable OCI, but is just me.

Cut that interval in half and stay there. Never run normal service intervals on DI turbo motors. 4000 or sooner unless you are going to use an A3 Euro oil.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Double the iron and five times the copper of the universal averages? Even while breaking in that is a lot of wear metals--speaking for myself, I would have dumped the FF at 1.5K-2K and again at 5K, before settling into a reasonable OCI, but is just me.

No way I would have left the FF in that long either.
27.gif
IMO since the engine is still breaking in determining an OCI is still tough. I'd do a couple of 4,000 mile OCI's then do another UOA to determine an OCI and see if following the OLM is a good idea or not.

Originally Posted By: Artem
What was the oil life @?

It was around 35% if I remember right. I know it wasn't close to 0, but I just didn't feel comfortable pushing it any further.

Originally Posted By: Rand
no towing for first 1000 miles and service vehicle more frequently if you tow a trailer.

There's no shortened interval for oil changes if you tow, the manual proscribes going by the OLM regardless. And I didn't pull a trailer until after I had 1,000 miles on the odometer.

Lots of folks would crucify me here, but even given my use I changed it sooner than the factory recommendation. Not real sure what the big deal is.

Lot of break in material, looking forward what is your plan for the next change? Another 7500 would be a good comparison and I bet the numbers come way down.

It's fine. A modern engine like this is over-engineered and tested to the max. The OLM is set conservative because they know a lot of folks will wait till the OLM comes on, say, "oh, I guess I need to get my oil changed." Then, a month later, they'll get around to taking it in.

Don't worry about it. Use a quality oil and change it every once in a while.

Originally Posted By: TomB985
21.gif

My point was to present the results of my oil analysis to the fine community here. Do you ask everybody who posts a UOA the same question?

Thanks for posting Tom , most on here say to dump the FF within 100K or so but you showed a factory fill is fine going a distance .
To many members on here worry about some things (OCD)
laugh.gif

Does ford have a break in oil with moly like Honda? Honda say to run the whole oci before dumping it out. It takes all my self control to not change it early!

TomB985,

I sometimes have to chuckle reading some of the comments here.
wink.gif

We're talking ppm here and everyone is implying that this abrasive slurry will be the death of your engine. lol

Of course the FF will have high numbers, and of course the fuel from this DI Ecoboost monster has thinned (as opposed to mechanically sheared) the oil from the original 8.7Cst.

But as dnewton3 is trying to figure out, does running the oil down to 0% on the IOLM really hurt anything in these tough engines?

Other than BITOGers, will anyone else with the Ecoboost change their oil early? I doubt it.

Now, honestly if we were talking about a DI GM engine such as the 3.6L V-6 with the now infamous timing chain issues, I would be more concerned, not from the relatively high break-in wear, but with changing the oil sooner due to lower viscosity, but these engines seem not to be affected by sub 8cst hot viscosity. I'd only be concerned and reduce the drain interval if it was sub 7cst, but that's just me, seeing that Ford (and Honda) have been using 5W-20 oil longer than anyone else and have it perfected, DI or not.

And the debate will surely continue whether draining the FF early and gradually increasing the oil change interval really makes a difference in engine wear and longevity. I think Ford considered that one too. Now they don't actually insist leaving the FF in for a full length OCI like Honda does, so it probably doesn't matter either way here.

I say, carry on, keep with the Motorcraft Syn-Blend, use the IOLM, and enjoy your truck!

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back