2001 Corolla - Why not 5w20 or 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sw99

Thanks for that info. If thats the real issue, I would think a good quality full synthetic with keep things cleaner in the engine while holding up to the heat cycles better. I will probably just overfill a tad anyway just to be safe.

No problem, another trick us to use a small file and make a light mark above the full mark on the dipstick, for ease of filling and tracking consumption.

My 1zz was pretty varnished as well, you may want to inspect and clean out the PCV system if needed, i did this in conjunction with checking valve specs. Completely soaked and flushed the valve cover/baffel system that was very gummed up with carbon and varnished. I believe that, along with using a quality high milage synthetic at conservative intervals has greatly helped the consumption and de-coked the rings. The cieling of the valve cover baffel plate seems to get zero oil sling from the cams somehow and had a dry brownish tarnish that resisted removal. Basically i think this engine destroys oil that cant hold up to the temps, and clogs the pcv loop and intake with the burning oil. You just have to keep up on the maintenance.

I don't think the OP will get an appreciable fuel economy gain from running 0W-20 or 5W-20 over 5W-30.

Just stick with what the manufacturer recommends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back