preventing bedliner from scratches

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I put load a lot of pallets into my truck with a forklift and I've noticed that every now and then one will leave a scratch on my bed liner. I think it's just a matter of time before I slide one on there and it scratches it real good due to their being a nail sticking out the bottom of the pallet. I have to slide the pallets to get it passed the tailgate. I was thinking of putting some plywood on the bed but I don't think it will stay put when I remove a pallet. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to protect the bed? Last thing I need is a huge scratch all the way through my bedliner.

I can't judge too hard because I just ordered a lcd screen protector for my new camera.
lol.gif

Build something much simpler than this out of a few 2 x 4's and deck screws. Use a bit of imagination to make it lock into the bed side board pockets. Your pallets will sit and slide on the wood rails.

011195016_02_lg.jpg

Its a truck, its bed is supposed to be beat up a bit.

Have a loader drop a bucket full of 3in rock in the bed and you will be OK for the next decade. The first dents hurt the most.

Last edited:
Im with the "trucks are meant to be used" crowd. While I don't believe that damage should be done intentionally because "its a truck", I also don't believe that you should have to go to such lengths as to build something to protect a machine that's meant to work in the first place. A few dents and scratches in the bed adds character. Not trying to sound sarcastic, but if it bothers you to that extent, rent or borrow a truck to haul the pallets with.

My boss uses the snot out of his 3/4 ton truck bed. It looks horrible, but before he sells them he has a spray in installed. Im not quite sure what to think about that just yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Have a loader drop a bucket full of 3in rock in the bed and you will be OK for the next decade. The first dents hurt the most.

This.

524257_10151602474128698_1023111254_n.jpg

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
And then LineX the bedliner thats protecting the bedliner.

Yo dogg, I heard you like beds lined...
banana2.gif

I have a Line X liner in my F350 that's in pretty bad shape. I plan on cutting a couple pieces of plywood that fit perfectly up to the edges on the bed floor, and then I'm going to cover that with some cheap roll on bedliner. Replace as needed.

I've had just a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back of my '73 Chevy for a few years now as the "bedliner". Truck is 40 years old, and with a little fresh paint the bed would look almost new. This ain't no garage queen. I'm just careful.

That's also a 1500 dollar truck.
Originally Posted By: KenO

This.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

This.

If the other side of the cab looks as good as that side, it's a $3K truck easy. That's what my 5'X10' utility trailer is for, I can beat that steel diamond plate in it with just about anything!

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I would replace the box, not the truck if that was the case.

Why do either if a bedliner of some kind would save you the trouble?

My point is, some here take issue with protecting the bed of a truck because "it's a truck". If the simple addition of a liner of some kind prolongs the life of the appliance, wouldn't you use it?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

This.

If the other side of the cab looks as good as that side, it's a $3K truck easy. That's what my 5'X10' utility trailer is for, I can beat that steel diamond plate in it with just about anything!

Haha, Lets just say I got it for a good price, but bought it not running. I forget what it needed, but it was mostly battery cables and stuff. It's a '97 C2500 8600 GVWR, with the god-aweful Vortec 350, 4l80e, and I've since swapped the rear for a 4.10 full floater. Hummer H2 17" wheels and 265/70/17 tires. Has 355k on the chassis, no idea how many miles on the motor. Since we're in GA, no rust
smile.gif

She's a good cheap work truck, except after 10k miles it's no longer running.....again. After JUST doing lower intake gaskets, I'm throwing in the towel on the engine. I can't justify putting any more money into this engine. I'm convinced it's either a cam/crank sensor issue, or an engine harness issue, but I can't bring myself to put another dime into it that I'm not 200% positive I can get back out of it. For such an incredibly heavy truck, the 350 just isn't enough power anyways when trying to tow a heavy trailer, so I'm investigating yet another motor swap. Every [censored] vehicle I own is going to be swapped shortly!

Originally Posted By: 97f150

My boss uses the snot out of his 3/4 ton truck bed. It looks horrible, but before he sells them he has a spray in installed. Im not quite sure what to think about that just yet.

To spray in a liner they have scuff the paint for it to stick. By using it and scratching it up, it's technically easier to scuff up, albeit rust could have started, and might not be properly sanded down/sealed/FUD. But what would he care? that new liner looks shiny, at least in the eyes of the next person.

I don't understand the saving the bed forever mentality. So when the truck gets crushed you can say "wow that bed is clean, ok crush it".

Using and beating on are two different things, my work truck has a plastic bed liner which I hate but it came that way so whatever. I have it loaded with forklifts all the time, never had an issue. Just make sure the parking brake is on so its not pushing against the transmission.

I guess the difference is like in the picture GM trucks are just more durable and built to work....(runs for cover
grin.gif
)

Just so I'm clear, the OP is talking about scratching the liner, and not the actual bed?

I assume it's a $200 plastic liner? I wouldn't worry if it was LineX. If it's a plastic liner, it probably already did enough damage to your painted bed, that I wouldn't worry about it. You can use a rubber mat on top of your bedliner. You could use those thick stall mats at TSC as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back