DIY oil change for Maserati 2002 Coupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice machine.
I am envious.
If I were you, I'd just go with the OEM filter, probably your only option and M1 0W-40 from Walmart.
There really isn't a better oil for your engine.

I just grabbed a rare deal on LiquiMoly on eBay! 2 cases of 4x 5 Liters. That's 40 Liters for $245 with shipping. It works out to $5.78 per quart. Enough for 5 oil changes in the Maserati. I'm all set now for Spring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: marco246
I take it you are using a UFI brand oil filter. I'll bet there's a Wix or Baldwin that would fit. If you give me the UFI filter number I'll see if I can match it up.

The UFI filter is for a different model. The Coupe uses a Purflux OEM Maserati filter part number 188814.
But, thanks. I'll keep looking for options.

Good deal for you.
I'm not sure that this oil is any better than M1 0W40, but it is a known good oil and should work well in your engine.

I'm not really sold on Mobil, to be honest. I read all the reviews and the specs very closely, working with a 2002 owner's manual, that has outdated oil requirements, having been superceded several times by improvements to oil quality.

The best by far I believe, for my application, is the Pennsoil Euro Synthetic, which is what my Maserati dealer uses, and this LiquiMoly is a close second. I am going to take advantage of that Amazon.com deal mentioned on the Pennsoil, and blend the two 50/50 in my next oil change. What can I say? I'm a scientist.

Would one of the Amsoil products be of use?

They do a Euro spec oil in 5w40 I believe and at much better price than you can buy Amsoil products in Europe.

I would be inclined to use Mobil 1 0w40 New Life but that is a personal preference

Liqui Moly is certainly a quality lube

Originally Posted By: fullthrottle
I was looking at the K&N oil filters and air filters for my other car and truck. Especially the air filter, since you only ever need to buy one. You can clean and re-oil them.
http://www.knfilters.com/

BMC makes a reusable performance air filter for the Maserati.

I don't recommend them. The UOA section shows that many cars have higher than normal silicon levels when using a K&N instead of the paper style filter. Some other reusable filters might not have that problem, but I don't know for sure.

The Mobil 1 0W40 really is that good. It is inconvenient to have such an expensive oil filter though. I guess with a Lexus suv and the maserati you can probably afford to spend more but the M1 from Walmart is a huge value for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back