Drain Filter If I Reuse It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading that some filter can do 15k, and get more efficient in that time. However 15k is at least twice the OCI that I want to do.

If I choose to reuse a filter, should I at least unscrew it and drain the old oil out?

On both my vehicles, the filter mounts mouth-up, and probably has at least 1/4 quart of oil in it. I'd like to get rid of that oil if it is advisable.

I wouldn't recommend it, Id be worried the gasket wouldn't make a good seal the second time around. If you can get replacement gaskets for your size filter, AND get the filter off without denting/damaging it, i would say go for it.

Personally.. Id just switch the filter out every time, and use a cheaper filter.

Last edited:
don't unscrew. You're more likely to mess something up with the seal.

There's also more than another 1/4quart of oil hiding around in the other galleys and parts of your engine.

Plus, if the oil is so "bad" then you've already been using "bad" oil in your car for the last portion of your interval. You should be changing the oil before it gets that bad.

Last edited:
True: It will be more efficient as it traps more dirt...but only to a point though and then it becomes restrictive. You could remove the oil filter and drain it but I wouldn't.

5 dollars or the hassle of spilling oil everywhere...

And a filter always gets more efficient the more clogged up it becomes, just switch to a cheaper filter if you are that concerned about saving money.

If it is easy to get to, I choose to drain the oil out of the filter mount. I have never had an issue getting the filter sealed back on properly. That is just the way I do it.

If you drain it you will be giving it another "dry start". If you going to do that, you might as well just use a new filter.

A new filter every 7500 miles is not exactly wasteful. Id rather have clean oil and a new filter than worry about the negligable increase in efficiency of reusing an old one.

Originally Posted By: widman
Seals are made for single use, single compression. One time. You are risking your engine.

Metallic seals, yes. The soft metal used (aluminum) will work harden.

Elastomer seals... no. Most types eventually harden, but a few compressions hwile they are still flexible won't age them significantly.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

There's also more than another 1/4quart of oil hiding around in the other galleys and parts of your engine.

Plus, if the oil is so "bad" then you've already been using "bad" oil in your car for the last portion of your interval. You should be changing the oil before it gets that bad.

1/4 quart? Usually more than that. My wife's Civic owners manual says a 4.4 quart total capacity with 3.2 quarts change w/o a new filter and 3.4 quarts change with a new filter. Apparently there's a lot of space in that engine for the oil to hide, even with a tiny overall capacity.

New filter every oil change for me. This is like the guys who pull spark plugs to look them and reinstall. The labor to remove means new part put back on for me be it an oil filter or spark plug.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
A new filter every 7500 miles is not exactly wasteful. Id rather have clean oil and a new filter than worry about the negligable increase in efficiency of reusing an old one.

That's the way I feel. Some filters hold close to a qt. of oil like my E-150. That's almost 1 qt. of dirty oil mixing with the oil that doesn't come out of the engine because of the design. That could be 20% or more of dirty oil mixing in with fresh clean oil as soon as I turn the key. I'd rather just change the oil and the filter and call it a day. Obviously opinions vary, that's mine FWIW.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: raytseng

1/4 quart? Usually more than that. My wife's Civic owners manual says a 4.4 quart total capacity with 3.2 quarts change w/o a new filter and 3.4 quarts change with a new filter. Apparently there's a lot of space in that engine for the oil to hide, even with a tiny overall capacity.

That's a 0.2 qt delta, which is essentially 1/4 quart.
grin.gif

While I've removed and replaced filters, in one instance four times, it's risky. The tiny fraction of oil left in the filter really isn't an issue weighty enough to risk the entire engine over. If you are going to run a filter two OCIs, IMO, safest to leave the filter in place.

I am presuming a few things here, so let me assess based on this:
if he wants to double his FCI to 15k miles, then he's running the first OCI to 7.5k miles.

I'll remind you all that oil gets better with age, too. Or, more specifically, the oil add pack ages and creates a desireable barrier on the parts. Old oil is good oil. So if you're going to leave the filter for a second OCI, why drain the oil.

OK - I can hear the jaws dropping and hearts fibrillating ...
Let me be clear here. I'm talking about oil that is still in a usefull cycle, not run past any hope of salvation. For the prescious few of you that have actually read the SAE article I reference (2007-01-4133) time and time again, you understand. For those of you that don't read it, then you'll forever be lost in the minutia of sales rhetoric any mythology.

I am NOT advising someone to over-run any lube. What I'm saying is that if the lube was still good when it was dumped (and it probabaly was) then why worry about what's leftover in the filter?

There a few OEMs that clearly advise it's OK to 2x for FCI. They never state to remove it and drain and reinstall. They just advise to let it stay and run for the second OCI.

But hey, why left facts and common sense get in the way of a good myth anyway?

Some people here are so A/R they claim to let the sump drain for hours, or even overnight, to get the very last possible drop of old oil out, so leaving a filter with 0.25 of a quart of old oil in it would be unthinkable.

My ex's car now has over 180,000 miles of 5k OCIs, letting the sump drain for 5 minutes, new $4 MC filter, and away she goes. Her car still runs perfectly and uses less than 1 quart between changes.

To each his own.

Quote:
But hey, why left facts and common sense get in the way of a good myth anyway?

Who would stimulate the economy if everyone were logical? I vote 2 filters per OCI! And keep it to 3,000 miles
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: LotI
I vote 2 filters per OCI! And keep it to 3,000 miles
Blasphemy!

Or is that "heresy"? I never remember which is which...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back