Confused - what is the right oversize filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working my 2000 SL2 very hard and although late in the game (194,000 kms) and still running strong, I'd like to "upgrade" to a larger filter.

I tend to run ACDelco filters (decent quality, good price at Walmart (Canadian)).

I'm a little confused at to which ACDelco is right...

Stock: PF53
- size: 3.4 h x 2.9 OD
- anti-drainback: yes
- bypass: 8-11 psi

Suggested large filter (saturnfans.com): PF56
- don't know the spec's or where to find them
- believe the size is: 4.8 h x 2.9 OD

Wix cross reference shows 3 options for the PF56: 51516, 51342, and 51460

The 51516 has the same spec's as the PF53, the rest don't (higher bypass pressures), so it looks like the right one - BUT...since I plan to run ACDelco, how can the PF56 cross to 3 different filters with different spec's.

When I go to ACDelco and cross the 51516 to ACDelco, it comes up with a PFL400A, not PF56.

So is the PFL400A what I want? Also, I don't think this is their standard filter (possibly special order). The PF56 or PF60 seem to be more standard.

Anyone with ACDelco spec's on the PF56 or PF60 willing to help?

Steve

Find a Purolator filter catalog. They list the specs in the back, including physical size, fitting size, gallons per minute flow, presence of anti drainback and bypass, and bypass spring tension. Double check the rubber o-ring is right. I emailed them and they said they plan to add the specs to their website--not sure when.

Your car specs the AC-Delco PF-53. If there's room for it, I'd recommend the AC-Delco PF-13. It's "full diameter", instead of the teacup diameter of the pf53, & less than 1/2" taller than the pf53.

There's not much extra room in diameter. The right, inner cv joint is right below the filter (about 1/4-1/2" away - can't get my fingers in between).

Length wise there is tons of room. I could probably go up at least 4" in length.

Steve

SaturnSL2: Any oversize filter which has the same or similar gasket to your stock filter, sufficient thread engagement (is the base more convex/concave than stock), the same anti-drainback arrangement as stock (either it has one or doesn't), and sufficient clearance under your hood should work fine for you. Many manufacturers have streamlined their part numbers down to a smaller universe of filters, mainly by using the same smaller filters for many applications, including those that may have originally had a larger filter. Wix still has a broad, unstreamlined range of filter sizes; hence, you came up with three options when cross-referencing. As for bypass settings, I'm almost convinced this is of little significance for non-race cars. The "stock" Fleetguard, Wix, and Hastings filters for my 2002 car have bypass settings of 8, 16, and 20 psi, respectively. Go figure.

You should stop by a parts store and pull out a PF53 and PF56 from their boxes, studying their dimensions, base plates, and anti-drainback valves. Most likely the two will have the same base plate codes stamped into them, confirming they'll mate the same with the block.

[ November 18, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Is it common consensus here (at bobistheoilguy) that the bypass valve pressure isn't a significant factor?

I don't have a feel for how often the filters plug up, nor how significant a 16-psi drop at idle would be with the Saturn (anyone know the spec's on hot oil pressure at idle for the SL2?).

Steve

I went to Walmart tonight and found they stock the PFL400AC and bought one.

Note this has a "C" at the end and according to the ACDelco web site and Wixfilters web site it doesn't exist.

Also, the filter I've been running on the car is a PF53C, which also doesn't exist.

So the questions for you experts:

- What does the "C" for? Is it possibly "Canadian" as I am in Canada?

- Is this taller filter definitely better at filtering (I'm surprized that the taller PFL400AC is, if anything, slightly lighter than the stock PF53C)?

The C version AC Delco filters I believe are made by Wix in Ayr Ontario in Canada. All the AC Delco filters disappeared from my Canadian Walmart store.
Hank

A few days ago they still had alot of them local to me (Walmart). Hopefully I didn't take apart one of the few I was going to get my hands on...

Anyway, in the quest for knowledge I decided to take a new PF-53C and a new PFL-400AC apart to see how they compared. I'll try to post pictures when the digital camera arrives (mail order).

They both have identical bypass valves, anti-drain back valves, filter end caps, etc. The only thing that is different, other than the length of the housing, is the filter media itself.

The PFL-400AC has 63% more filter area, which is good. Unfortunately instead of them simply being different sizes, the PF-53C has a significantly thicker, most likely better performing filter (per area).

So - which one is better.....still unknown...

I'm pretty sure the PFL-400AC will provide less pressure drop accross it, have the ability to contain more contaminants, and provide some minor benifit due to the larger oil capacity (cooling, dilution). It may not filter small particles as well though (don't know).

Any one with a better "feel" for how the thicker vs thinner filter media compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back