Decent tablet for 7 year old....

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 7 year old wants "santa" to get him a tablet."Scrooge" doesn't want to pay much. What's a decent place to get one? Thanks. a 7 to 10" screen size is preferred.

That is a dilemma....

Low end Android tablets are cheap and pretty much universally suck big you know what. Poor screens, 0 support, poor battery, underpowered CPU, and forget any type of upgrades.

That leaves a mid-upper range Android tablet at which point you'd be better off getting an iPad Air or Mini due to the fact they will have more accessories, more apps, and better support (i.e.: upgrades).

But $399+ for a 7 year old to throw around seems like a lot to me unless they are extremely responsible.

I'd search out a used or factory refurb iPad - they should be reasonable and nowhere near expensive as new.

I bought an RCA branded 7" from Walmart for 70 bucks for my 5 year old girl. The OS is the android.
I'm an apple guy however I paid less for her tablet than the going price for an iPod.
I figure its an introduction to the whole world of tablets and for 70 bucks its tough to go wrong.
I bought 2 just to be prepared for breakage or any unforeseen circumstance.
I'm sure they are less expensive down south too. Try shopping online as well. I think you'd get it before Christmas if you order within the next few days.

We let our 4 year old use our old ipod touch the odd time with some educational games on it, but its mommy's ipod, not his.
I think our strategy will be that he can use technology but not own it for quite a while.
At a young age he needs to learn how to interact in the physical and interpersonal world more than learning how to use a tablet to be entertained.

Some really good deals can be had on low end Android devices. I've seen them as low as $40 but the storage isn't there and upgrades won't exist.

While pricey, the iPad mini is a great option for kids but $300+ vs $40 is a hard argument.

iOS devices, IMO, has a more intuitive interface and is easier for kids plus there are many more kid focused apps for iOS devices.

Maybe look at getting a used iPod touch for cheap. Also look at refurbs on Apples website for the best near new buy. Apple refurbs come with a new battery and new case so it's practically new for a good discount.

Surface RT was just on special for 199$ at Microsoft I'm sure that it will be back.

Blackberry Playbook can be picked up for cheap and quality is great a lot better build then any cheap android.
And it can run android apps

I got a 6,7, and 8 year old at home. I got experience with this question.

I'm also fairly cheap.

My kids LOVE the Kindle Fire HD. 7" screen. You can get it on Amazon right now for $139.

You have access to soooooooooo many games, apps, etc. etc. Plus, tons of books. It's got a great OS. We've never had a problem with ours. Had it for a year (got last Christmas). I do some banking, check email, message boards, watch Youtube videos, etc. etc. Kids play all kinds of free games you can download onto it, plus there are ton of educational and just fun games for free and for small fees. My kids use the Kindle for hours every day.

Our whole family loves this thing. Kids have dropped it, throw it, spilled on it.....still works flawlessly.

If you want a bigger screen, they sell the Kindle Fire 8.9" HD for $269, and the newest Kindle is the Kindle Fire HDX. It also has a 8.9" screen. The HDX is $379.

I'd go with the $139 7" Kindle Fire HD.

My "rich" friend's kids all have iPads...but our Kindle Fire has everything on it and more than their iPads for a FRACTION of the cost.

Don't be confused that it's a "Kindle" and think "it's a reader". It's a real tablet. And a very good one at that.

I understand your dilemma.
I know tablets can be a great educational tool for kids..
but the old codger deep down in side says that this is the only tablet a child that age needs:
71Uuens60PL._SL1500_.jpg

and it's cheap too! only $14.99 @ Amazon

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Low end Android tablets are cheap and pretty much universally suck big you know what. Poor screens, 0 support, poor battery, underpowered CPU, and forget any type of upgrades.

That leaves a mid-upper range Android tablet at which point you'd be better off getting an iPad Air or Mini due to the fact they will have more accessories, more apps, and better support (i.e.: upgrades).

Agree. Id stick with the smaller size for handling, and I wouldnt spend $ on fancy displays for a youngster.

Refurbished versions???

Id look at the samsung galaxy tab 7" from Costco. Otherwise Id go for a refurb ipad mini.

I believe Parents are introducing too many electronic screens in front of Children at too early of an age, but what do you do...

frown.gif

I can't vote against a Kindle or any of its variants for this situation. Great products at a great price. And they don't suffer the cheap-droid-itis that many low-end tablets do.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7"

At $159 its hard to do much better. After this I would consider an iPad Mini. My moms got a Kindle Fire and its OK, but for $20 more I'd get the Galaxy

Wow; $159 is a GREAT price on a quality 7" tablet.

Kindle all the way. The new HDX was on sale earlier this week for $179.00. I am not sure what it costs currently but that sure seems like a good value to me.

Originally Posted By: Turk
I believe Parents are introducing too many electronic screens in front of Children at too early of an age, but what do you do...

frown.gif

I agree completely that's why I've already downloaded nothing but educational games and books in French and English. The tablet helps them read because it can hear what they are saying.
I've learned that with my kids if they are being taught as though its a video game they are like rabid dogs,voracious in their appetite for more however these same lessons taught in class by a teacher is basically ignored so my kids fall behind because they aren't paying attention. The tablet keeps them interested.
And I bought an android, a samsung galaxy which I've sync'd to the ones I bought for my kids so at any given moment I can access their lessons to see their progress and their grades for each lesson.
My girl is very bright. She's 5 and reading both French and English,with a good accent. She's also very good in math.
My boy however is a bit slow, but doing misc lessons on his tablet keeps him interested and he puts in a much bigger effort without any classroom distractions.
Because he's a bit slow he's of course the class clown and is disruptive because he doesn't understand.
With a tablet the boy really applies himself and because its a tablet it keeps his interest piqued.

Yeah, I think its getting harder and harder to raise children today.. they are getting all these devices sooner in life (peer pressure from friends). I am against giving a child that young a tablet, I would certainly not give my child a tablet. When I was 7 I was outside playing not inside starring at a computer screen.. but again, obviously today its more challenging than it was in the past, but its important that if you do buy them a device like that, that the use of it is limited. Last thing you need is a child to be starring at a tablet for hours a day.. Personally I would have them play on a computer where the use can be more closely monitored as to what they are doing online etc.. Only thing a 7 year old should need to do is play games, and they can do that on a desktop computer.. spending that kind of money on a portable computer for a child.. meh... but i do see where you are coming from... but parents should dictate what a child gets not the other way around.. (my folks are old school mentality...i guess it rubbed off on me..)

My wife and I saw a very young baby at a restaurant with earbuds inserted watching her parents iPod Touch the other day. I agree completely it is wrong to use technology as a babysitter or as a crutch to parent your child for you but It is hard to know how much technology is too much. Manufactures do a good job of installing parental controls and even timers to help parents govern usage. The trick is making sure parents are engaged/savvy enough to implement them. We live in an increasingly technological world. Learning to use technology (wisely of course) is like learning a second language, it is almost vital to future success. Add to that the fact that if you limit it too greatly at home they will just engage it without the benefit of your supervision at school or at a friend’s house.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Turk

frown.gif

I agree completely that's why I've already downloaded nothing but educational games and books in French and English. The tablet helps them read because it can hear what they are saying.
I've learned that with my kids if they are being taught as though its a video game they are like rabid dogs,voracious in their appetite for more however these same lessons taught in class by a teacher is basically ignored so my kids fall behind because they aren't paying attention. The tablet keeps them interested.
And I bought an android, a samsung galaxy which I've sync'd to the ones I bought for my kids so at any given moment I can access their lessons to see their progress and their grades for each lesson.
My girl is very bright. She's 5 and reading both French and English,with a good accent. She's also very good in math.
My boy however is a bit slow, but doing misc lessons on his tablet keeps him interested and he puts in a much bigger effort without any classroom distractions.
Because he's a bit slow he's of course the class clown and is disruptive because he doesn't understand.
With a tablet the boy really applies himself and because its a tablet it keeps his interest piqued.

If all parents did as you, than we would have an extremely sharp future generation. The problem is that most parents hand their children a tablet or smartphone so the parents wont have to be bothered..

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I understand your dilemma.
I know tablets can be a great educational tool for kids..
but the old codger deep down in side says that this is the only tablet a child that age needs:
71Uuens60PL._SL1500_.jpg

and it's cheap too! only $14.99 @ Amazon

That was my first thought too. It must be the NW Ohio mind set. I'm originally from Findlay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back