Whos using 15W40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sirgerman
until what winter temperature i can still use 15/40w diesel in my Saturn ?

In California? Until the sun burns out, I suppose. My Audi called for 15w-40 down to something like -15 C. Like anything, it's application dependent.

I used 15w40 in my Scirocco for one OCI a couplle of years ago - it was about 3AM on Christmas Eve., and I split my sump on a speedbump about 100yards from my house.

Killed the engine, rolled into my parking space and left it till daylight.

Being Xmas eve, nowhere was open so I dropped the sump and cleaned it and welded up the split, threw it back on and filled up with the only oil I had to hand which was a Mineral 15w40. Fuel Economy was marginally reduced but it still cranked and fired up without any lifter noise or anything.

I just cant help but think that with my cam, spring pressure and shimmed, flat tappets, I need a decent film thickness and lots of zinc/moly/ws2 in there.. and I *FEEL* like 10w is the best comprimise of flowability and thickness.
Putting a micrometer on my cam lobes, and putting an internal vernier down my cylinder bores both back up my thinking
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
Putting a micrometer on my cam lobes, and putting an internal vernier down my cylinder bores both back up my thinking
wink.gif

How does that show a 10w-XX of any sort is actually optimal, and in comparison to what? I tell you right now that if you had a 10w-XX anything in a vehicle outside here right now, unless everything was in peak condition and you had a lot of luck on your side (and a working block heater), you would be leaving it sit there for the next week or until the tow truck showed up, whichever comes first.

This isn't a thick versus thin thing at all, but I rarely use a 10w-XX anything. The F-150 has it, but I don't need to do any measurements to determine there's no wear. It hasn't moved in ages.

If one wants a 40 grade, there are better options than 10w-40 in conventional or synthetic. There are better options than 10w-30, too. 10w-XX has jumped the shark, and that's beginning to be apparent in diesels, too, with 5w-30 and 0w-30 HDEOs.

Garak - measurements don't prove that anything is optimised but I feel like they show that my lube choice isn't causing any damage..
I thought that too thick an oil wouldn't get to the valvetrain quick enough and allow wear, and because I can't see or measure any wear the 10w must be sufficiently 'liquid' to get where it needs to be in a short enough time that no wear is taking place.

What is the outdoor temp. in Saskatchewan at the moment? Its around 8 or 9C where I am and the coldest winter I remember it got down to about -14 or -15C, 'Rocco still cranked and fired in those conditions and I don't remember it being any noisier than it usually is.. All anecdotal, but humans are funny like that
wink.gif

Garak - measurements don't prove that anything is optimised but I feel like they show that my lube choice isn't causing any damage..

Absolutely my point. 10w-XX may certainly be doing the job, but it's hard to try to claim science unless you do more than one engine and many, many viscosities.

What is the outdoor temp. in Saskatchewan at the moment?

Right now, it is a balmy -32 C.
wink.gif
In any case, don't get me wrong. I'm not all fired up that a 0w-XX is necessary in this climate (or yours). Heck, me using a synthetic is an anomaly in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back