Went a little crazy this month buying mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went a little crazy this month buying older, fixer up mowers. I’ve been looking for a winter restoration project and I found several of them. Here is a family portrait.

igw1.jpg

This Lawn Boy was $5. The Tecumseh 4 stroke engine appears to be junk. I think I will swap on a spare Honda GCV160 I have sitting on the shelf.

u5q8.jpg

This $45 1988 Toro rear bagger, aluminum deck, has a Suzuki 4 stroke engine. Supposedly, these engines are bulletproof and have quite a following. This mower works perfect and runs good.

2k2d.jpg

This $25 Snapper has a commercial Robin Subaru engine. I’ve been looking for one of these for a while and just found it today. Haven’t had a chance to look at it yet. Owner said it worked fine but carburetor leaked gas. Make need a carb kit or a few gaskets.

cgbp.jpg

7bt7.jpg

This $30 Snapper needed a pull start cord. 6HP Briggs works great, has lots of power and came with a brand new Ninja Blade too ($50 from Snapper)

97rs.jpg

This $45 1983 Snapper high vac was well maintained and runs excellent. Has a I/C Briggs 4HP engine. Doesn’t have anything wrong with it. Just needs some cleaning and paint. Came with the side discharge chute and the Snapper dethatcher thingamabob.

2qbz.jpg

This $25 Honda HRX217 Honda runs perfect. Just needed a new fuel line. Has a 190cc powerful engine (sweet!!)

8pf9.jpg

This $50 Snapper is a late model Ninja mulching mower. The owner ran it on an incline and threw a rod through the block. He then bought a replacement Snapper Ninja mower and his wife smashed into it two weeks later as she was pulling into the garage, destroying the deck. I took both mowers and I put the good engine on the good deck and made out like a bandit!!

4bpp.jpg

All were found on Craigslist. I've been watching it like a hawk for the last month, checking it several times a day. I think I have gotten some fantastic deals. I really do appreciate the older, solid built mowers that were actually built to last.

Last edited:
How many HP is that Wisconsin? We have a Wisconsin on an older Robin generator and the thing starts in like half a pull and runs smooth, quiet and doesn't stink.

They're pretty decent motors. Nice grabs. I'm assuming you're going to refurbish them and sell them come spring? Good thing to do over the winter!

EDIT: You're in Florida and don't have snow to prevent mowing. Correction on that. So you'll probably sell per diem?

Last edited:
Neat, please keep us posted with pictures as you perform rebuilds and surgeries!

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I really do appreciate the older, solid built mowers that were actually built to last.

It's freezing cold & pitch black out, but just for you...

tNui2UM.jpg

Originally Posted By: redhat
How many HP is that Wisconsin? We have a Wisconsin on an older Robin generator and the thing starts in like half a pull and runs smooth, quiet and doesn't stink.

They're pretty decent motors. Nice grabs. I'm assuming you're going to refurbish them and sell them come spring? Good thing to do over the winter!

EDIT: You're in Florida and don't have snow to prevent mowing. Correction on that. So you'll probably sell per diem?

The mower is model number 21RXIP. The engine is a WI-145VI. I can't find any information on it, which is weird because I have no problem finding information about the other mowers. I assume it is about 4HP.

I will probably get the majority of them up and running great mechanically and flip for a profit. I do want to do a meticulous restoration on at least one of them and keep for myself. Most likely the Wisconsin Robin one if it runs good since they are known for legendary reliability and they are just plain cool.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
I really do appreciate the older, solid built mowers that were actually built to last.

tNui2UM.jpg

Drool... very cool.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

tNui2UM.jpg

AHHH!!!! I have a 5019! Bought brand new in '86 and still runs mint. I cleaned the carb ONCE years ago. 1-2 pull starts every time!

That Toro pictured is a hoot of a machine with the three forward gears you can jog nicely with it.It also has the torque to handle the spongiest St.Augustine.Mine was a hand me down and then it lasted another ten years.

Originally Posted By: Artem
If it ain't self propelling, I'm not interested, but whatever floats your boat man.
smile.gif

You must have never mowed with an old aluminum or magnesium deck Lawn-Boy

Originally Posted By: Artem
If it ain't self propelling, I'm not interested

I'm with you on this. Besides, good luck finding a good non self propelled mower these days. Push mowers nowadays are ALL consumer junk that last a few years tops.

Quote:
If it ain't self propelling, I'm not interested

+2

My lawn is just too thick and tall for a push mower, plus I mulch. I let my Toro Recycler do most of the work.

I prefer using my treadmill for cardio workouts.

I looked at the Wisconsin Robin engine on the Snapper I bought yesterday. I changed the oil, put a new spark plug in, and commenced trying to start it. I pulled the starter rope about 20 times and was getting nowhere. I sprayed some starter fluid down the carburetor and it started bucking and heaving, attempting to start. I then took off the air cleaner and looked at the throttle and choke linkages. The choke linkage was binding a little bit due to some grime and leaves, leaving the engine on full choke. I degreased/cleaned the linkages and with a little work the choke and throttle linkages are working like new again.

I put the air cleaner back on and the engine now starts on the first pull and runs like new. Unbelievable that the last owner essentially gave this mower away because the choke was acting up and needed 5 minutes of cleaning/adjusting. The engine doesn't smoke and runs excellent.

I found out that this engine is 143cc and is rated as a 3.5HP. To me it seems to have more power than the 187cc 4.0HP Briggs on my other vintage Snapper.

Wow! that's cool, and that's what I did for winter too. I bought a TB pressure washer and a bunch of lawnmowers. Funny thing is, two of the mowers were just a simple fix, and were returned to the store, and the PW had the soap feed tube into the pump thermal pressure relief, so I'm already darn near done and winter is just started. I only have on JD self propelled to get finished. It's a lot of fun and maybe I'll make some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back