TYC alternator. any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the alternator on my LH; its not easy, so I would prefer to use a new part instead of remanufactured. is TYC any good? or no good?

no-3.jpg

Do not even bother with TYC, Either get yours rebuilt, Look on Rockauto/Amazon for something with a good warranty.

I don't know about TYC alternators, but the first new TYC power window regulator Rock shipped me for our '97 Accord coupe was bad from the package, while the second, which Rock shipped as a replacement with no questions asked lasted about a year.
So, I'd just say no to TYC parts.
A rebuild from NAPA or another parts source catering to the shop market might be okay, but if the thing is really hard to replace, then price out a new OEM unit.
The quality will remain long after the price is forgotten, as someone once said.

Used to be a Chinese made brand of alternators and starters...NSA (new starters/alternators),Rockauto/Amazon sold them too.Notice how NSA is no longer in business,tells you something about the quality of Chinese made new electrical parts.

Surprisingly enough I've had good luck with Valucraft alternators from Autozone. They may only be reman, but worth checking out.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Surprisingly enough I've had good luck with Valucraft alternators from Autozone. They may only be reman, but worth checking out.

Maybe its just me, but I would avoid brands that have "value" or "budget" or "cheap" as part of the brand name.

I have learned to like TYC for exterior body parts.. I think I would go to another brand for an alternator. But thats me.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Used to be a Chinese made brand of alternators and starters...NSA (new starters/alternators),Rockauto/Amazon sold them too.Notice how NSA is no longer in business,tells you something about the quality of Chinese made new electrical parts.

TYC is as far as I know made in China as in Taiwan; the Republic of China, a tiny island nation, not to be confused with China, as in The People's Republic of China, the most populated nation on Earth.

Last edited:
Reman is fine, just use Quality reman. BOSCH for example has a starter/alternator reman facility in the USA that remans all brands.

Don't overlook a local shop; There's usually someone in most cities who remans alternators and you can talk to them in person, maybe get a quick tour of the shop. Many do an excellent job.

Sometimes you can do it yourself. I remember rebuilding my 65A alt on my 77 GMC about a dozen years ago. $20 kit from NAPA and an hour of my time.

Last edited:
thank you all for the feedback. "no" on tyc for alternator. got it. I will continue to use them for cabin air filters and headlight assemblies though...

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
thank you all for the feedback. "no" on tyc for alternator. got it. I will continue to use them for cabin air filters and headlight assemblies though...

Funny thing about TYC. I hit a deer with my '97 F250 a couple of weeks ago. I needed a grille, a left headlight lense and a left signal lense. I ordered them through Rock Auto and the signal lense that I received was wrong. I complained to Rock Auto and they then sent me the correct one. I received the wrong lense because the TYC web site was wrong and Rock Auto was getting their web site info off of the TYC web site. If you can't get the small things right....

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: renegade_987

Maybe its just me, but I would avoid brands that have "value" or "budget" or "cheap" as part of the brand name.

I agree. If I were to buy a new one, I would also get a Remy.

Or just repair it yourself:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32281

I know Chrysler uses Denso or Mitsubishi as OEM - why not get a Denso reman? I think Carquest now offers Mitsu remans?

Originally Posted By: nthach
I know Chrysler uses Denso or Mitsubishi as OEM - why not get a Denso reman? I think Carquest now offers Mitsu remans?

I would not buy anything made by Mitsubishi. IMO, Denso stuff is way overpriced and I would only use it on a Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back