BMW "Synthetic" 5w-30 2011 BMW 335xi 5150mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time reader, first post. I haven't seen many 335 UAO so here's mine.
Last time I changed the oil, it smelled like fuel so bad I could have probably put it in my gas tank.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a UOA.
It was BMW oil w/ ~8500mi on it, so decided to play it safer this time.
Currently have M1 0w-40 in the sump.

Code:

COMMENT: MICHAEL: If we could send a high-five with our reports, you would certainly get one for this sample.

Our universal averages show typical wear for this type of BMW engine after about 4,700 miles on the oil.

You kept this oil in use longer and wear metals still read low by comparison,

so we have no reason to believe your engine has any mechanical issues.

If it does, we don't see any signs of them in this sample. The

viscosity was on target and no fuel, dirt, coolant, or moisture was found.

The TBN was strong at 5.3 since 1.0 or less is low. Try 7,000 miles and check back.

MAKE/MODEL: BMW 3.0L (N55) I-6 Turbo

OIL BMW "Synthetic" 5w30

MILES IN USE 5150

MILES 35140

SAMPLE TAKEN 11/16/13

ALUMINUM 8

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 21

COPPER 3

LEAD 1

TIN 3

MOLYBDENUM 140

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 61

SILICON 3

SODIUM 6

CALCIUM 2321

MAGNESIUM 17

PHOSPHORUS 850

ZINC 976

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 64.4

cSt @ 212ºF 11.44

FLASHPOINT ºF 420

Fuel
Antifreeze 0

WATER 0

INSOLUBLES 0.4

TBN 5.3

Definitely had life left in it. Also, glad to see the "jokers" at Blackstone are still writing the comments on UOAs...

Thanks for posting buddy. I recently got my BMW and am doing a new to me OCI of 5k and an UOA to follow. Mine is I6 non-turo so different for sure but I'm using M1 0-40 so good to see it. What filter you running....did I mis sit??

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Thanks for posting buddy. I recently got my BMW and am doing a new to me OCI of 5k and an UOA to follow. Mine is I6 non-turo so different for sure but I'm using M1 0-40 so good to see it. What filter you running....did I mis sit??

Just the stock BMW filter. The turbos are the fuel diluting monsters, which is why I changed out at 5k. You could go for a lot longer with yours probably.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
No apparent fuel dilution. Did this oil smell of gasoline? I think you have a winner here so nothing to worry about. Thanks so much for the post!

No smell at all this time, and I did quite a few WOT romps. The last "in-between" change I did reeked of fuel @ ~8500mi.

Originally Posted By: 89Rustang

Just the stock BMW filter. The turbos are the fuel diluting monsters, which is why I changed out at 5k. You could go for a lot longer with yours probably.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
No apparent fuel dilution. Did this oil smell of gasoline? I think you have a winner here so nothing to worry about. Thanks so much for the post!

No smell at all this time, and I did quite a few WOT romps. The last "in-between" change I did reeked of fuel @ ~8500mi.

My first is 5k then I will move it out and get UOA's to see where I can be comfortable at.

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
Looks like a stout oil. Wonder who makes it? $14 bucks at Amazon.

Most agree that it is actually rebranded Castrol Softec TXT 5w-30. I put "Synthetic" in quotes because this is a hydrocracked oil. It can be had for $7.50/qt at my local dealership, but I get free oil changes while I am under warranty.

I plan on changing out the M1 0w-40 at about 5k miles as well so we will see how they match up.

Where in MA?? PM if uncomfortable...Most my life Western MA (Northampton area).

89Rustang, I was under the impression it was a group IV/V blend? Can't really find much on it however, and I am interested in the NOACK.

Seems it changed from Softec, to the SLX pro, which looks to be inferior, IMO. Group III base, and I don't see esters listed in the MSDS. Still, good shot of moly, and boron! Noack is listed around 13%, which, my motor, same as yours but N/A, is consuming a good bit of, could be due to the DI design, but one would think a Turbo'd motor would consume more, did you have any top offs? TBN starts around 8, so the retention isn't to bad, and minus the iron, I'd say you could stretch it to 10k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Taylor
Seems it changed from Softec, to the SLX pro,

Just to clarify so that people don't make assumptions, while TXT Softec was replaced with SLX Professional, we have no way of knowing if BMW 5w-30 is now SLX Professional.

Sorry guys, been busy at work etc...

Where in MA?? PM if uncomfortable...Most my life Western MA (Northampton area).

Middlesex county, about 14 miles from Boston.

89Rustang, I was under the impression it was a group IV/V blend? Can't really find much on it however, and I am interested in the NOACK.

I'll need to check it out some more. I got most of the info from BMW sites.

Seems it changed from Softec, to the SLX pro, which looks to be inferior, IMO. Group III base, and I don't see esters listed in the MSDS. Still, good shot of moly, and boron! Noack is listed around 13%, which, my motor, same as yours but N/A, is consuming a good bit of, could be due to the DI design, but one would think a Turbo'd motor would consume more, did you have any top offs? TBN starts around 8, so the retention isn't to bad, and minus the iron, I'd say you could stretch it to 10k.

I am mainly afraid of fuel dilution, which seems non existent this time around. Last time was a different story. Wish I had an analysis done. I didn't need to top off, meter read full at time of change.

At ~$25/5qt jug of M1 0w-40, cheap insurance to just be safe
smile.gif
I usually don't even swap the filter out between the dealership changes, since I just want fresh, fuel-free oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back