Are my habits harmful to this CVT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, engine braking often is how I was able to get mixed to highway mpg in my previous vehicle, a WRX STI. Every night after work, I keep it in second gear, rev up to 3k RPM and coast down the hill until I turn into my condo complex; I do the same when coming off the bridge that ends on a big downhill, off-ramp, and an always-red stop light (I rev-match and shift to third and engine-brake for a good 30 seconds) These are only minor examples, but for the time that I'm engine-braking, I'm burning zero fuel.

I really like ATs with grade-logic. It should only come into play when accelerating with your foot off the go-pedal and a lot of them will disable if they have a "sport mode" button. My 2002 Isuzu Rodeo had this (4L30E trans) and my 2008 Honda Odyssey had it. IIRC, the Ody would only kick down if you were picking up speed on the down-hill and apply the brakes.

FWIW, the CVT drivetrain on my 2012 Subaru Legacy offers noticeable compression braking when you let off the gas. I like it.

OTOH, the 6spd in our new Dodge Grand Caravan will coast on forever. No slowing down unless you brake.

Last edited:
Wait, this is your Mom's car, right? If she doesn't care (or even notice!) then no worries.

And since you hate cvt transmissions, avoid driving and all is well.

BTW, assuming your mom lives in the same state that you do, it is illegal to coast there as well. I got a ticket coasting down a hill in NC (with a manual tranny). I don't remember the exact wording of the ticket - it was pretty vague but apparently illegal.

You got a ticket for speeding, or for coasting in neutral? How would a cop know if a vehicle is in neutral in either transmission?

If there is enough of a down hill grade that speed is increasing, I'll down shift and use engine braking, no fuel used and brakes aren't going to possibly overheat...

The thought of wearing out engine by downshifting is basically B-S...

Originally Posted By: gr8gatzby
Engine braking should only be used as a method of deceleration in emergencies. Engines are more expensive to replace than brake pads.

I am saying the transmission is inherently flawed if it revs at 2k rpm when on a downward slope. As to whether the engineers know what they are doing is anyone's guess. I've seen this behavior in other CVTs, so I assume that it is an engineering obstacle inherent to the CVT design that has yet to be overcome.

As an engineer myself, I'm very very interested in how you've come to these views...

If in a manual, running down a hill, the engine is turning at the same speed as if you were going up the hill...how can that be damaging, or a design flaw if the CVT behaves the same ?

gr8gatzby said:
You got a ticket for speeding, or for coasting in neutral? How would a cop know if a vehicle is in neutral in either transmission?[/quote

For coasting in neutral. I don't know how he knew, but he was right. I was from out of state and didn't want any problems so I didn't argue.

I am saying the transmission is inherently flawed if it revs at 2k rpm when on a downward slope. As to whether the engineers know what they are doing is anyone's guess. I've seen this behavior in other CVTs, so I assume that it is an engineering obstacle inherent to the CVT design that has yet to be overcome.

My 2011 Avalon will keep the same engine speed if I'm on the highway doing 75mph and let go of the gas pedal to coast for a bit when going downhill.

It would cause extra wear and tear if it disengages the gear every time to took your foot off the gas pedal for the slightest amount and reapplied.

The MPG gauge shows 99.9mpg when coasting in gear.

OP, you need to get a scan gauge and re-evaluate your driving style because it's FLAWED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back