So I got a new Car..Which Oil? Dart 1.4L Turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says it all. Not familiar with these engines or what the demands are. Plan to do a lot of freeway driving. Likes to run 2500 RPM, can run up to 4K in a flash.

Recommendation is 5W-40 synthetic, maximum 10K OCI according to the manual.

Opinions?

Originally Posted By: Stubb
Title says it all. Not familiar with these engines or what the demands are. Plan to do a lot of freeway driving. Likes to run 2500 RPM, can run up to 4K in a flash.

Recommendation is 5W-40 synthetic, maximum 10K OCI according to the manual.

Opinions?

Others will be able to chime in better. However, I believe I have read of some people using Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40. Amazon has it. Impressive oil. It meets many specifications.

Last edited:
Does it require a particular Chrysler spec? If not, Rotella T6 is my first choice with Mobil 1 0w-40 a close second.

You may need a special oil like the Pennzoil Ultra if there's a particular spec to meet.

Your car is specced for Chrysler MS-12991. As far as I know, Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 is the only oil that meets that spec. Using any other product will likely cause warranty issues should any engine problems arise.

HOWEVER: Rotella T6 5w-40 or Mobil 1 0w-40 would excellent choices for this engine!

(Personally if i owned that car, Mobil 1 0w-40 would be my oil of choice)

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Does it require a particular Chrysler spec? If not, Rotella T6 is my first choice with Mobil 1 0w-40 a close second.

You may need a special oil like the Pennzoil Ultra if there's a particular spec to meet.

Recommendation is for Chrysler Material Standard MS-12991. Haven't looked around to see who meets that yet. Apparently the requirement is modified from that required by FIAT in the European market where the engine is more widely used.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Recommendation is for Chrysler Material
Standard MS-12991. Haven't looked around to see who meets that yet. Apparently the requirement is modified from that required by FIAT in the European market where the engine is more widely used.

In europe The oilspec is Fiat 9.55535-S2

So far only Pennzoil ultra euro 5W-40 is the only one I see explicitly stating it meets approval for MS-12991

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I wouldn't worry about the approval if you're going to have to pay extra for it for a similar product.

Those multiair engines does require an oil suitet for the multiair valvetrain.

PENNZOIL ULTRA ® EURO 5W-40 FULL
SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL

SPECIFICATIONS & APPROVALS
• MB – Approval 229.5
• VW 502 00 and VW 505 00 approvals
• Approved to BMW LL-01 specification
• Chrysler MS-12991 (replaces references to MS-10896), MS-10850 and MS-10725 approval
• Porsche A40 approved
• Ferrari and Maserati approved
• Meets Fiat 9.55535.Z2
• Meets Renault RN 0700/0710
• Exceeds the requirements of ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4
• Exceeds the requirements of API SN/CF

-use that and follow the OLM while under warranty. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Can you post a review of the car? I'm considering trading in my Focus with its persnickety dual-clutch for a Dart to match my Durango. Though I wouldn't get another dual-clutch like you got. Also looking at the Jetta with its new 1.8T.

So far only Pennzoil ultra euro 5W-40 is the only one I see explicitly stating it meets approval for MS-12991

Then there's your answer.

While the others are fine oils, they don't meet the spec for your car. Here's where I get mine: http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550022576...ltra+euro+5w-40

If you subscribe, it's $40 for a six pack, and if you're Prime, shipping is free.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Then there's your answer.

While the others are fine oils, they don't meet the spec for your car. Here's where I get mine: http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550022576...ltra+euro+5w-40

If you subscribe, it's $40 for a six pack, and if you're Prime, shipping is free.

+1

Especially when in warranty, this is the correct oil to use, and a very good one. M1 and T6 are great, but it isnt clear to me that the multiair engine is understood wrt oil selection yet, nor the differences in that spec.

Down the line Id consider changing, if desired. But especially now, Id stay the course.

Really read that owners manual. earlyre has some good info as well and it appears that you can use most API SM/SN 5w40's. You have Syntec as an option, M1 0w40 and even Rotella. Just pick what is reasonable. I seriously doubt you will have any problems using any of those oils. M1 0w40 is a good one. Sounds like your driving is easy for a 10k interval.

Thanks for all the input. Love these forums! I'll stick with what the manual says during the warranty period. JHZR2 has the right idea. With the longer OCI cost is reasonable. But I will probably change out the oil sometime between 1-3K anyway just because I keep imagining metal shards floating though my new engine. I know it's not true, but the image sticks with me. I' post a UOA for the sake of science!

Originally Posted By: kam327
Can you post a review of the car? I'm considering trading in my Focus with its persnickety dual-clutch for a Dart to match my Durango. Though I wouldn't get another dual-clutch like you got. Also looking at the Jetta with its new 1.8T.

Not to wander too far off topic, but I have only had the car a week as of tomorrow. I don't have the DDC. I got the manual transmission because my older kids learned to drive on manual so the younger ones want to as well. I know, they are weird but at least they think like a team!

I picked up the 1.4T Aero version which is pretty basic but fun to drive. I traded in my 2002 PT 2.4L manual for it and my heart is broken (220K miles so I got my money's worth). I think the manual 1.4 is the best combination as far as enjoying the act of driving goes. I was close to getting the DDC but my 15 yr old really wanted manual. I keep blowing the 1-2 shift transition, but the rest is very smooth and it runs 43-44+ on highway trips between San Diego and LA. Finished a tank this morning and averaged 34.5 mpg overall. The turbo is nice and you can feel it working on acceleration. On the highway, you will need to work 5th and 6th to keep RPM steady on long hills, but that keeps a steady mileage. Drove it on the weekend with four in the car and it had no problem. Frankly I thought I got a lot of car for what I paid. I own Toyotas too and love them, but I couldn't resist the look of the dart and the fact that, because I own a Charger, I would have matching Racetrack taillights in my driveway!

The 1.4 performance-wise is similar to the 2.4 but the automatic transmission on the 2.4 takes the fun out of it. I didn't get to drive the 2.4 manual that you can get on the limited, but for the price of those I would have bought a second Charger or a Challenger. The 2.0 automatic is kind of a dog. I don't know if it is the engine or the transmission that sucks the life out of it, but I didn't really like it. I think that's why there are so many 2013 SXT modes on the lots still. The interiors are pretty good, especially if you get the 8.4 you touch screen on the premium AERO. I have the basic uconnect Bluetooth. It does a lot of the same things, just not on the cool big screen. So far so good, but as I said, only a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back