Bad Oil Promo is Bad - PQIA & News12 NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
It's in New Jersey

Good catch.
grin.gif

do you have the link to the actually video of what they did? I am curious about it. Sometimes its comical, sometimes its not.

This will be aired in three parts starting tomorrow (Tuesday) at 6:00 PM. It will include extensive interviews with PQIA's president, Tom Glenn.

Tom NJ

For those outside the listening area, there will be a link on the PQIA web site to the Channel 12 web site, where there will be links to the broadcasts.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: martinq
Can anyone spot the problem with this promo?

Sure, they say 3000 miles. But to be honest I don't see any problem with it. It's a segment about the pitfalls of getting substandard oil if you buy "off" brands from convenience stores and the like. It's not about trying to educate people about oil change intervals.

Programs like this are usually targeted at a none too sophisticated audience, so it's good to keep it simple. If they start trying to add in ideas of different oil change intervals to what those people are used to, then you're just going to end up with mixed messages and conflated ideas. The scope for using longer OCIs with better quality oils would be another show.

Originally Posted By: uart
Sure, they say 3000 miles. But to be honest I don't see any problem with it.

But why continue to promote misinformation? When was the last decade where the typical change was 3k miles?!

Originally Posted By: uart
Sure, they say 3000 miles. But to be honest I don't see any problem with it.

But why continue to promote misinformation? When was the last decade where the typical change was 3k miles?!

To be fair, many, MANY cars on the road today still have short change intervals for "severe" driving styles, which probably includes a good majority of viewers in New Jersey (and in much of the country). Many vehicles call for 3,750 mile change intervals for severe driving, and 7,500 mile change intervals for normal driving.

A 3,000 mile interval is a safe, if possibly overly conservative, recommendation. It's also familiar to a lot of people; folks are more likely to relate to a story (and listen to it) if they're hearing things that validate what they already know.

Last edited:
A Kane in Your Corner investigation finds motor oil not suitable for cars is for sale at gas stations and convenience stores in New Jersey.

Hmmm, maybe big oil should clamp down a bit. While I haven't seen much garbage up here, Esso, for instance, is putting a lot of non-Imperial Oil stuff on their shelves. Fortunately, that stuff is PYB and QSGB and not City Star. At least we seem to be spared much of that up here.

I suspect a Petro-Canada manager would be torn a new one if he carried anything except Petro-Canada oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back