Beards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone wielding a beard here?

I have gone without shaving for long stretches before. These periods have included week long stay-cations, sickness, general college laziness etc. I've always wanted to try it out but wasn't sure if it would affect my professionalism at work. Well I manned up for the real thing and I'm 13 days in. There's no going back now.

Believe it or not there is still a lot of negative stigma with having a beard but if you have been on the fence don't care what people think and let it grow and flaunt your masculinity. I work in an office environment and the reactions have been from none at all to compliments. If anyone gives you a hard time say it's part of your new religion or something.
whistle.gif

Anyway I figured I'd post this if anyone has been thinking about growing one but has been holding off for some of the same reasons I was.

Now if I can get this itching thing under control...

Tried it once -- rocked the beard for about a year and decided it didn't look professional enough (even with constant and anal-retentive grooming/care). I didn't have problems with itch, but I did wash it regularly and applied the requisite conditioners/lotions.

If you're serious about doing it, you need to go 6 weeks without any sort of shaving to let it fill in.

My wife wanted to see what it looked like, so I am rocking a beard for the first time since I was 20. Seems like a lot of guys up here in Northern NY are putting on the "winter face" this year.

The itching goes away with time! Give it some more time. Since ive been 20-21 ive always kept a beard. Neatly shaven and kept up..it should never affect professionalism if its well kept.

Last edited:
I am due to Chicken Pox and not being able to shave. Lets just say its growing on me.

I've never understood why there is negative stigma to well groomed facial hair. If it's unkept and nasty yea, but well trimmed with even straight lines is A-OK in my book.

Wow. Agreed.
Never thought of Chuck.
Have had one from 1977 on. Shave it off every Feb 14. The wife says grow it back! After 32 years she can say that.
smile.gif

I have one recently because the baby likes it. Keep it super short, like the shortest any buzzer clipper device can. Its barely longer than if one didn't shave for a couple days, but more filled in. May remove it soon, but Ive liked it recently.

Had a big one for a while but most recently trimmed it low. Never had an issue with work or itching. My COO even complimented it.

Had a goatee for nearly ever...never had a problem.

Some winters grow full, but not very often these days.

Just started my first one in 32 years. A month in and its getting super thick. The itch went away in three weeks for me.

I had a full beard, but keep trimming it back a little at a time...I'm going for the Amish look now...and that's not meant to poke fun...I actually like the look.

I have rocked a go-tee for 5 years. I can't shave it off, no one has ever said anything negative to me (about the beard anyway lol) and I am in the medical field with constant contact with the public.

BTW....

I hear Chuck Norris' beard trims itself.
grin.gif

Had to add a crummy Chuck Norris joke.
wink.gif

Shaved mine after 4 years. Wasn't out of control. I kept it neat, but was told I could go in for management if I shaved it to a more managerial look. So I'm rocking a goatee now. Miss the old bear/man look. Especially since it's started to get cold.

I had a full beard for quite a long time but I shaved it off about a year ago when it was starting to be more grey than anything else!

I wear a goatee year-round, and almost always grow a full winter coat. It's coming in quite nicely right now. Really makes a big difference when you're out in the cold. I'll let it grow to a moderate length then keep it there all season. I keep my neck shaved from just under the jaw downward, and that's the only place I ever experience any itching if I go more than a few days without shaving it.

Man I love having a beard (even though there's more grey and less red every year).
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back