OBD-II software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received an HP Compaq TC4200 laptop/tablet this weekend in partial trade for something we sold on Craigslist. I really like the ruggedness and general build quality. It's certainly a step up from conventional consumer laptops.

I'd like to run some OBD-II scanning/data logging software on this. For those who have free or paid OBD-II software on a laptop, I'd love to hear your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks.

I'd like to learn about some good software as well.
35.gif

I use AutoEnginuity but I understand the licensing model has changed with the newer versions of it, which is a shame because it is an incredible tool with excellent software.

I use EasyOBD which is quite slow for "realtime" data, not that great of a user interface, but it's free and it's a good place to start. I have yet to run into something where a paid piece of software would be needed.

i use torque on my phone with a quality bluetooth plugin

I considered getting software for the laptop (which also has bluetooth)

but couldnt find anything better free.

IMO they should make home licenses for some of that software..

spending 3k for a work tool is feasible.. not so much for home.

Last edited:
For windows based machines:

VW/Audi software VCDS-Lite needs 409 compatible usb to obd device

Other cars scantool.net 1.13 uses elm327 usb to obd device

Ford specific forscan uses elm327 usb to obd device

Look on ebay for devices. Cost is less than $10.

Originally Posted By: Rand
i use torque on my phone with a quality bluetooth plugin

Back when I had an Android phone, I looked at Torque, but it appeared to be picky on the Bluetooth adapter. Some worked, some didn't seem to work. I do have an Android tablet, however, onto which I could install Torque. Will any cheapy ELM327 module from eBay work?

This was years ago that I was looking. Maybe the software has improved since then. Or maybe it was never a real issue to begin with.

For a FoMoCo/Mazda Product, http://forscan.org/home.html
I'd Suggest a STN1110 or STN1170 powered connector then a regular ELM327 one, But if the budget won't allow
21.gif

Good: ELM327 v1.5 Amazon
Better: STN1110 Wired Amazon
Best: (IMO) STN1110 Wireless Amazon
Different: STN11170 (If you want to support the Indy's
grin.gif
)
Indy

For the 'Yota owners out there
It's a bit ghetto
laugh.gif
, But it's the most feature packed for the $: Amazon

Own a ALDL GM product?
confused.gif
Gotcha Covered
wink.gif
Wiki on ALDL
ALDL Cable + WinALDL

Working on Mopar, Nissan, Scooby, And others
If your looking for a specific application, HMU
cool.gif
Don't be shy
crazy.gif

Anything based on the ELM327 chip or a clone will be slow. You'll be able to get about 5 transactions per second. That's fine for diagnostics and gauges, but not enough for some types of data logging.

That said, interfaces based on the ELM327 command set are the most common and very inexpensive. They should be the first device you buy to discover your true needs. OBD2-bluetooth readers are under $10, and work with most consumer software (Apple IOS devices excluded).

A native CAN interface can be 1000x faster (5K-10K transactions per second), but there isn't a standard interface. You pretty much buy an interface tied to a single diagnostic application.

Originally Posted By: djb
That said, interfaces based on the ELM327 command set are the most common and very inexpensive. They should be the first device you buy to discover your true needs. OBD2-bluetooth readers are under $10, and work with most consumer software (Apple IOS devices excluded).

That's a great way of describing where I am right now: still discovering my true needs. I'll run with the ELM327 for a while and see if I end up wanting more than it delivers. Normally, I would default to a wired connection, but thinking more about it, I may end up using Torque on the tablet more than something on the laptop. We'll see.

I have previously fabricated a holder for this tablet that fits our Honda to use as a GPS on trips, so it's already perfectly set up for some gauges there.

IMG_6644.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG

The amount of information Torque provides varies by make/model. For my 530i, there isn't much, and most of the stuff that it does show I can already access through the car's OBC anyway.

it also varies by adapter.

My obdlink mx shows much more than the generic 10$ elm27 chinaclone

for some vehicles...Esp on fords.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The amount of information Torque provides varies by make/model. For my 530i, there isn't much, and most of the stuff that it does show I can already access through the car's OBC anyway.

That's because you need something that will read the proprietary BMW stuff:

map04.png

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yup, and Torque doesn't.

Yup, and Torque doesn't.

Correct.

I haven't ponied up to buy the Ford module for AutoEnginuity yet, but I may in the future just so I can get the same type of information I get from the bimmers. It does basically everything I could ever want of it.

Yup, and Torque doesn't.

Correct.

I haven't ponied up to buy the Ford module for AutoEnginuity yet, but I may in the future just so I can get the same type of information I get from the bimmers. It does basically everything I could ever want of it.

I'm not sure your '02 Ford is CAN Bus equipped. In which case even AutoEnginuity won't be able to help you.
You can check with FORScan, Which is Free
whistle.gif

Is your odometer digital or analog?

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Yup, and Torque doesn't.

Correct.

I'm not sure your '02 Ford is CAN Bus equipped. In which case even AutoEnginuity won't be able to help you.
You can check with FORScan, Which is Free
whistle.gif

Is your odometer digital or analog?

Digital.

And I've seen what is available when hooked up to the Ford scan tool and it is a lot more than I get through OBD II. I'm sure I won't get all the cool stuff like I get from BMW, but I know I can get a lot more than what I get currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back