Home defense thread removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to the thread on choices for home defense. I see it has been removed? I don't remember the exact subject wording, but it was an interesting discussion of shotguns and pistols.

Last edited:
I noticed this as well. I think if there is a problem in a overall decent thread, then the offending posts should be deleted by mods and parties at fault give time off etc. Or at least lock the thread for a day or two before just sending it to oblivion...

I'm confused as well....I was "banned" for a week for what, in my mind anyway was a very benign comment. Pattern?????????

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I'm confused as well....I was "banned" for a week for what, in my mind anyway was a very benign comment. Pattern?????????

i was blocked from commenting. what did I say that was out of line????

I've found from previous experience.. its best to just pm helen hr1940 than start a what the heck happened thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I've found from previous experience.. its best to just pm helen hr1940 than start a what the heck happened thread.

Why not keep it opened so everyone can know why???

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I just want to know where the foul was. Was it anything i posted?

Yep it's all your fault!
10.gif

Obviously this is a privately owned website and the owners can do what they want regardless of the posted rules, but the decision seems puzzling to me as well. It would be interesting to know what the reason why behind the actions, at least then people can more effectively decided what and how to post to avoid any issues.

Hey all, that was my thread, sorry for the confusion, once my wife learned of the details provided in the thread(I was reading your suggestions to her), it made her feel uncomfortable, and I guess I let her get to me.. Maybe I did put a little more out than I should have, I requested it deleted from the mods.

I have taken your advice and opinions(and I appreciate them greatly), and will be implementing many of them, but would rather avoid divulging into details at this time, for safety purposes.

Actionstan - I didn't weigh in on your previous thread, because, frankly, there was some good advice.

There are a couple of points that I would like to add.

1. Practice, Practice, Practice. You, and whoever you plan on using the gun, have to be able to operate it when it's dark, you're suddenly awakened, and the adrenaline is pumping (so, you've lost your fine motor skills and concentration). Whatever you choose, make certain that you can operate it, including malfunctions, loading, etc. and that you can hit a target accurately.

2. You want to be able to lock it up? Handgun is easier, though it has detractors, who compare the greater ease of aiming and greater power of a long gun. Just remember that a long gun is less easy to lock up and to retrieve.

Buy quality. I've never regretted that...and make sure you have enough budget left over for lots of ammo. Muscle memory takes about 2,000 to 3,000 repetitions of an action to truly learn it. So, you've got a lot of practice ahead of you...

My personal recommendation is a 6" .357 revolver. Easy to use, no slide/magazine drills, and no safety. Load it with .38 SPL wadcutters to practice. 125 Gr JHP .357 Magnum for real.

I carry an H&K USP Compact, personally, but I've been through quite a bit of training with it...and several thousand rounds of practice ammo...

Did I mention that you should practice?

actionstan,

I strongly echo Astro14 recommendations. Whether you ultimately choose a revolver or a handgun keep it simple, i.e. no external safeties for a beginner, which rules out 1911s.

And practice, practice, practice. And yes, even though fine motor skills go away, which means trigger control at heart rates about 150bpm (learned this from a good friend of mine that was a US Army Ranger and is now the lead FBI firearms instructor), realistic training to include moving and shooting (getting off the X) may very well save her life one day.

And here is a great book that details how to learn to shoot a pistol well:
http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Pistol-Shot-Albert-League/dp/1610045718

Because you want to be doing it right from the start, so that bad habits are not engrained.

Take care and good luck,
Gary

P.S. Still shoot 500-1000 rounds a week between Glock 17, 22, and my department M4.

I love this forum, but it seems one of the most iron fisted forums I've ever seen. However...there are better forums to be had if you want to discuss weapons.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Buy quality. I've never regretted that...

This is the most important piece of info when buying a gun for self defense. The life of my family is not worth the few dollars I might save by buying a poorly made gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back