by Doktor_Bert
57 minutes 14 seconds ago
Naked Eye Sunspot Visible
by sleddriver
Today at 12:27 PM
Solar eclipse today
by Toy4x4
Today at 11:58 AM
What mid 2000's crossover suv should I buy?
by 55Test
Today at 10:37 AM
Standardizing on 5W-30?
by Tony_Mack
Today at 10:36 AM
Does anyone make a quality battery anymore?
by jeepman3071
Today at 10:28 AM
Concrete patio pricing question.
by Vibe_2007
Today at 10:09 AM
Does a dirty air filter equal oil consumption?
by WobblyElvis
Today at 09:21 AM
Oil lab for analysis in canada
by Baveux
Today at 09:05 AM
Parking brake shoes
by ARB1977
Today at 06:09 AM
Newest Members
340_Magnum, aselinger, extrabigjon, monron, Jschreffler81
51672 Registered Users
Who's Online
88 registered (440Magnum, 2010_FX4, ag_ghost, 01rangerxl, 13Tacoma, 901Memphis, 6 invisible), 1857 Guests and 154 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51672 Members
64 Forums
221103 Topics
3495256 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#3211346 - 12/09/13 02:28 PM Re: Technology is destroying the world [Re: Kestas]
PandaBear Online   content

Loc: Silicon Valley
Originally Posted By: Kestas
It's so easy to criticize. It's difficult to get off your duff and do something about it. Not many people appreciate the earth-friendly efforts that go on in the manufacturing industry.

#3211349 - 12/09/13 02:31 PM Re: Technology is destroying the world [Re: Drew99GT]

The way I see "who's going to have the money to buy all the automation produced stuff" argument is: you let import / export between nations to figure that out. More efficient nation (with less labor, resources, whatever is more critical at the moment) will take over the production and eventually the currency and cost in international trades will balance that out. Eventually they will reach an equilibrium, and then cost minimized, and people as a whole benefit. Now, I do not think politicians or businessmen should take credit for it or reap huge profit from it using this as a justification, because they are just overhead like labors and should be reduced and put into competitions.

#3211406 - 12/09/13 03:21 PM Re: Technology is destroying the world [Re: Drew99GT]
IndyIan Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
With sufficient trade barriers we could all decide to just have 3 or 4 day work weeks... Less disposable stuff and more durable goods and homes, and then spend our free time doing leisure type stuff.
Europe was heading this way but it seems they are having difficulty continuing. I suspect their lack of natural resources forces them to trade and therefore compete with lower standard of living countries. Canada and the US probably could do fine with what we have in our own borders.

#3211411 - 12/09/13 03:24 PM Re: Technology is destroying the world [Re: Drew99GT]
SteveSRT8 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
These scenarios would be far more likely if big money lobbyists didn't have our Congressmen in their clutches!
4340 pounds, Street tires
Just like we go to Publix

#3211477 - 12/09/13 04:47 PM Re: Technology is destroying the world [Re: IndyIan]
Drew99GT Online   happy

Loc: Colorado Springs
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
With sufficient trade barriers we could all decide to just have 3 or 4 day work weeks... Less disposable stuff and more durable goods and homes, and then spend our free time doing leisure type stuff.
Europe was heading this way but it seems they are having difficulty continuing. I suspect their lack of natural resources forces them to trade and therefore compete with lower standard of living countries. Canada and the US probably could do fine with what we have in our own borders.

A debt based free market monetary system HAS to have GDP growth year after year or it will collapse.

#3212782 - 12/10/13 07:51 PM Re: Technology is destroying the world [Re: Drew99GT]
dwcopple Offline

Loc: Michigan
Yes please!

#3213019 - 12/11/13 03:05 AM Re: Technology is destroying the world [Re: Drew99GT]
xfactor9 Offline

Loc: California
Uh this is like saying water is destroying the world because some people drowned in it.

You could make a video about how technology has improved our lives and it'd be 10 hrs long instead of this 18 minutes of rambling nostalgia about the good ole days.

Btw, my nieces & nephews are under 10 years old. They have iPads. But they are still very social. They love running around and playing w/ other people and socializing with other kids.

Technology doesn't make people anti-social. Those people were already antisocial and would still be antisocial if they didn't have smartphones.

#3213023 - 12/11/13 03:29 AM Re: Technology is destroying the world [Re: Kestas]
Shannow Offline

Loc: a prison island
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I was once in a position where I was talking to California eco-types, who asked what I did for a living. They scoffed at me personally when I told them I was an automotive engineer. They pointed out all the pollution the industry creates.

I had to remind them that nobody put a gun to their heads and told them they had to buy cars or any other technology. Society as a whole embraced cars and decided it is better than horses. They have a choice on whether to embrace technology or ignore it.

They also have a choice on creating their own automotive industry that is easier on the environment, if they so choose.

It's so easy to criticize. It's difficult to get off your duff and do something about it. Not many people appreciate the earth-friendly efforts that go on in the manufacturing industry.

When we opened one of the power stations, there were a bunch of protestors in orange jump suits (early '90s)...couple weeks later, I was back at my parent's place, and having lunch with one of them...I went to school with her. She didn't know what I did, and I didn't know about her protesting.

Mum did...and opened the conversation.

Turns out this lady didn't have solar power/heat, nor a solar powered car, nor a pedal television to watch herself on, nor 5 acres of woodland and a combustion stove....turned out she was a bit of a hypocrite, embracing the fruits of coal fired electricity, while trying to stop it...

Anyway, this is a great clip (from a great movie)

#3213611 - 12/11/13 04:36 PM Re: Technology is destroying the world [Re: IndyIan]

We also are heading this way, with 20% unemployment and 80% overworked.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3