Any point in switching to a full syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Sorry, meant to say I WOULDN'T use M1 5W-20 or Amsoil.

Can you please tell me why not?

I already have.
Both those oils are heavier than the typical 5W-20 dino (QuakerState?) that Hyundai specifies.

If one wants to upgrade to a synthetic oil the main viscosity advantage one expects is to be lighter on start-up not heavier.
M1 0W-20 accomplishes that while maintaining much the same hot operational viscosity as a dino.

I would definitely save your money and either keep using the Kendall semi-syn, or go with a regular conventional. Both of them will treat your engine just fine while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

If one wants to upgrade to a synthetic oil the main viscosity advantage one expects is to be lighter on start-up not heavier.

Ah this is what was thinking. Thanks for clarifying
smile.gif

Your UOA look good. I'd switch to full syn 0w20 Kendall and do 6-7 K intervals. If you're able to do your own OC's PP 0W20 for the same intervals, Kendall is hard to find, or Mobil 5K if you'd prefer a shorter interval.

Originally Posted By: walk23
If you're able to do your own OC's PP 0W20 for the same intervals....

Since PP 5W-20 actually has a higher VI to PP 0W-20 and therefore should be lighter, I see no point in using PP 0W-20 in a vehicle spec'd for a 5W-20.
In a Pennzoil product, PP 5W-20 is their best offering and of course it's 100% warranty compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back