Oil for Civic lean-burn engine (hybrid)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Not a fan of M1 myself but the 0W20 AFE has some good specs. I'd go that route.

What specs might you be talking about? The add pack is pretty weak.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

because all additives show in a VOA/UOA right?

Originally Posted By: Rand

Too right and actual usage never trumps a lab test, right? Way too many users of M1 products seeing good results and longevity for them to be "weak".

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Rand

Too right and actual usage never trumps a lab test, right? Way too many users of M1 products seeing good results and longevity for them to be "weak".

Did I say that? NO....but he said it had good specs, Im wondering what good specs it has. I have considered using it next OCI instead of TGMO but the add pack was the only thing holding me back.

Did I say that? NO....

Did you say what? The additive pack in M1 AFE 0W-20 is weak? Why yes, you did say that.

Is that not what you meant or?

I'm not one for the blind VI hype pushed on this site, but I do think hybrids are a good application for those oils. I'd use the Toyota oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I'm not one for the blind VI hype pushed on this site, but I do think hybrids are a good application for those oils. I'd use the Toyota oil.

Agreed. That's what the high VI oils were first formulated for,the start stop run cycles.

Did I say that? NO....

Did you say what? The additive pack in M1 AFE 0W-20 is weak? Why yes, you did say that.

No, dont twist words. As far as VOA/UOA go, M1 0w20 does have a weak add pack. There may be other additives that we dont know about though. But as long as I can keep getting TGMO for $6 per quart after tax I will probably keep running that, knowing that its the thinnest oil available on start up for the price, where I live anyway.

Did I say that? NO....

No, dont twist words. As far as VOA/UOA go, M1 0w20 does have a weak add pack. There may be other additives that we dont know about though. But as long as I can keep getting TGMO for $6 per quart after tax I will probably keep running that, knowing that its the thinnest oil available on start up for the price, where I live anyway.

I do not believe that I twisted anything since it is a direct quote, but I am not going to quibble over small stuff. I think this is a good example of why VOAs are not the be-all end-all to determine if an additive pack is robust or weak since it is apparent that AFE can be ran for more than 10K with several doing it here. I ran it for more than 15K and it produced the best UOA to date in my FX4 and if it was a one-off UOA I would agree that it could be argued, but since it was #19 there is historical data that can be trended.

Out of curiosity, why would you need to be so concerned over "the thinnest oil available on start up for the price" while living in Florida? Much like Texas, Florida will never see the temperatures needed to warrant the use of the thinnest oil at start-up. Any 5W-xx or 0W-xx oil would be more than thin enough. Is this an experiment of sorts or (no sarcasm--just interested)?

Did I say that? NO....

I do not believe that I twisted anything since it is a direct quote, but I am not going to quibble over small stuff. I think this is a good example of why VOAs are not the be-all end-all to determine if an additive pack is robust or weak since it is apparent that AFE can be ran for more than 10K with several doing it here. I ran it for more than 15K and it produced the best UOA to date in my FX4 and if it was a one-off UOA I would agree that it could be argued, but since it was #19 there is historical data that can be trended.

Out of curiosity, why would you need to be so concerned over "the thinnest oil available on start up for the price" while living in Florida? Much like Texas, Florida will never see the temperatures needed to warrant the use of the thinnest oil at start-up. Any 5W-xx or 0W-xx oil would be more than thin enough. Is this an experiment of sorts or (no sarcasm--just interested)?

I use it because the driving I do involves multiple starts per day, and all of these are less than 5 mile trips. Most though are literally less than 1 mile.

I've run both M1 and TGMO 0W-20 in my Prius with no problems. I would also consider trying Pennzoil Platinum as well.
grin.gif

Well, Honda doesn't seem to think that hi-VI is that important given they switched from the 200 VI Idemitsu 0w20 to the P66 with ~175 VI.

If you're willing to hunt it down Kendall GT-1 should be good and amounts to using the factory oil. Otherwise M1 AFE is the most available and has great specs. Pennzoil Platinum is just slightly less available and will also do very well. I think you're over-thinking this, I believe the engine in a Civic hybrid is an L-series similar to the Fit's engine only with semi-Atkinson valve timing, they're not very picky.

Oh, and Greg- M1 AFE meeting ACEA A1/B1, Ford WSS-M2C945-A and dexos1 trumps anything you might think you can tell about the additive package from a $30 lab analysis. If there's anything weak about M1 AFE it's the shear stability.

What's P66? I don't think Honda used Atkinson cycle in the insight or civic hybrids. Instead they used lean-burn (22:1 mix).

I did UOA for both Toyota and Mobil 1 0w20 and say no difference in 3000 mile wear.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
What's P66? I don't think Honda used Atkinson cycle in the insight or civic hybrids. Instead they used lean-burn (22:1 mix).

I did UOA for both Toyota and Mobil 1 0w20 and say no difference in 3000 mile wear.

Phillips 66

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blackman777

Sorry. Yes, P66 is Philips 66. They used to be Conoco Philips, but they spun the specialty chemical and retail business off from the exploration business a couple of years ago. They make Kendall, Trop Artic, Motorcraft and the Honda OEM oils.

Could be. I wonder what kind of catalyst they use to get away with 22:1 without excessive NOx emissions? Point is it's an L-series engine that doesn't tend to fuel dilute, run hot or otherwise beat up the oil. Any quality 0w20 should serve it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back