Any point in switching to a full syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently using Kendall semi synthetic 5w20 (Firestone customer). My OCI's are in the neighborhood of 3000-4000 miles due to warranty reasons. Hyundai specs 3700 for 'severe' schedule. I do mostly city driving, but do let my car stretch its legs regularly on the highway. My split is about 65 city / 35 hwy. My last 2 UOA's came back pretty good using the same oil. So the question is, should I consider switching to a full synthetic, such as Amsoil OE 5w20, M1 5w20 or similar if I'm planning to keep the same OCI until the car is about out of warranty? I was going to switch to TGMO 0w20, but Hyundai will not honor warranty service for lubrication if they see that oil was used
smirk.gif

here is the link to the latest UOA:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3185982

If you fall under the severe service requirements, meaning short intervals of only 3-4k, I would jut stick with conventional or semi-syn. No use spending extra on synthetic if you'll never really reap the benefits.

You're wasting the synblend by changing at such a low interval - I understand that you are doing it for warranty proposes.

It would really be wasting money running a synthetic that short of an interval.

For 3750, I would buy the cheapest conventional that met warranty requirements.

I don't feel as bad sticking to 6 months, but I know I am dumping whatever oil I run way too early.

Do you cold start your car outside in the winter? I'll be starting mine in 9 degree temps the next few days, and I prefer a good synthetic (syn max life in my case) for bitter cold starts. Prepare for all out war on this topic...

I would go for a conventional and do it myself, but for 21.99 an oil change with a full inspection and fluid top off, it's hard to beat haha.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Do you cold start your car outside in the winter? I'll be starting mine in 9 degree temps the next few days, and I prefer a good synthetic (syn max life in my case) for bitter cold starts. Prepare for all out war on this topic...

I do start my car on cold mornings but it rarely ever dips below 30 degrees here.

Yeah, I'm expecting a few clashes here and there lol

Originally Posted By: dparm
If you fall under the severe service requirements, meaning short intervals of only 3-4k, I would jut stick with conventional or semi-syn. No use spending extra on synthetic if you'll never really reap the benefits.

+1 Unless you can get at least 5k+ mi oci, stick with what you're doing.

Thanks guys for the responses! Any other input/recommendations are welcome!

If you are going at intervals like that for warranty no reason at all for changing. Kendall is good oil too but capable for longer intervals than that even

+1 I'd stick with conventional until warranty up and then hot the M1 bandwagon and extend!

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
So the question is, should I consider switching to a full synthetic, such as Amsoil OE 5w20, M1 5w20 or similar if I'm planning to keep the same OCI until the car is about out of warranty? I was going to switch to TGMO 0w20, but Hyundai will not honor warranty service for lubrication if they see that oil was used
smirk.gif

Do you actually have an example of Hyundai denying a warranty claim because TGMO 0W-20 was used or any 0W-20 for that matter?
There uninformed customer rep's may say that but I don't think there is a single case of it happening.

That said, if you want to switch to a syn' you can still use a 0W-20; namely, M1 AFE 0W-20 which is actually intended for 5W-20 applications and Mobil states it will not void your warranty.

+1

I guess that since Hyundai is giving a 10 year, 100K warranty, they want people to change the oil more frequently.

Still, I think 4K is a bit too soon. I would use Mobil 1 5W-20 (I gather that Hyundai specifies 5W-20) and change the oil every 6K.

I am currently using Kendall semi synthetic 5w20 (Firestone customer). My OCI's are in the neighborhood of 3000-4000 miles due to warranty reasons. Hyundai specs 3700 for 'severe' schedule. I do mostly city driving, but do let my car stretch its legs regularly on the highway. My split is about 65 city / 35 hwy. My last 2 UOA's came back pretty good using the same oil. So the question is, should I consider switching to a full synthetic, such as Amsoil OE 5w20, M1 5w20 or similar if I'm planning to keep the same OCI until the car is about out of warranty? I was going to switch to TGMO 0w20, but Hyundai will not honor warranty service for lubrication if they see that oil was used
smirk.gif

You may be interested in this:

#3209680 - 12/07/13 05:07 PM Bridgestone/Firestone $1 over store cost
Indydriver

Loc: Indiana
Best promo of the year from Bridgestone, effective Jan 3-20, also includes 15% off any service. I'm buying a new set of S-04 summers and storing 'til spring. This is a real deal.

https://www.upaywhatwepay2014.com/xpVgD

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify

Originally Posted By: stchman
I guess that since Hyundai is giving a 10 year, 100K warranty, they want people to change the oil more frequently.

Still, I think 4K is a bit too soon. I would use Mobil 1 5W-20 (I gather that Hyundai specifies 5W-20) and change the oil every 6K.

I definitely use M1 5W-20 or Amsoil OE 5W-20 which are at the heavier end of the 20 grade spectrum.
In a 5W-20, PP or Havoline which are quite light would be two good choices.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Sorry, meant to say I WOULDN'T use M1 5W-20 or Amsoil.

Can you please tell me why not?

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
smirk.gif

You may be interested in this:

#3209680 - 12/07/13 05:07 PM Bridgestone/Firestone $1 over store cost
Indydriver

Loc: Indiana
Best promo of the year from Bridgestone, effective Jan 3-20, also includes 15% off any service. I'm buying a new set of S-04 summers and storing 'til spring. This is a real deal.

https://www.upaywhatwepay2014.com/xpVgD

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify

Thanks for that! I actually need tires!!!

Putting in a full synthetic is not automatically waste of money. You can try it & see if your millage goes up? Buying a pack of smokes or fast food are better chances of wasting money IMO.

If people are concerned about getting money out of the syn oil drive 75 like everyone else in TX & Rev the engine knowing you have better protection. If the police or other drivers say anything, say hey don't worry! I'm Safe, I am using full synthetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back