Toyota 4-Runner v6 vs. v8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at (2)4-Runners for my son's first vehicle. 2004 v8 w 95k on the ODO. The second is a 2006 v6 w 110k, both are similar asking price. Any experiences with which one is more desirable? Does the engine in this truck make a big difference?

Last edited:
Gas mileage between the 2 engines is about the same. Both rated well. Check all the other things out.. interior condition, how it rides.. etc.. transmission fluid.. I dont think the 6 or 8 have a huge benefit over the other... compare the other variables than look at the whole picture. Terrible on gas...

I'd probably get the V8. Mine has the V6, which is a great engine. But, mine developed a leaky headgasket at 90k miles (I did the work myself for about $750). It is not a common issue, but not super rare, either. It's been a great vehicle otherwise. My sister in law has an '03 with the V8. Also a great vehicle.

The V8 has a timing belt (V6 is a chain). It also is full time 4wd, whereas the V6 is part time.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Looking at (2)4-Runners for my son's first vehicle. 2004 v8 w 95k on the ODO. The second is a 2006 v6 w 110k, both are similar asking price. Any experiences with which one is more desirable? Does the engine in this truck make a big difference?

Check out feedback on Toyotanation.com

Regards, JC.

I had a 2006 V6. 2 less cylinders and 2wd mode on the v6 only nets you about 1-2 mpg better than the 8 cylinder. Both have plenty of power but the 8 runs a little smoother.

Keep in mind that the V8 will probably have higher insurance costs and slightly higher maintenance costs (more oil, more plugs). Plus the V8 is right in timing belt change territory, the V6 has a chain.

That V8 is the same in the Lexus! If taken care of they last forever! Just make sure to change the timing belt at regular intervals since it is an interference motor!

Both are great and the important features have been pointed out above. Personally, I'd go for the V8. The motor is tried and true, also used in the Land Cruiser, Lexus LX470, GX470 and Tundra.

Check to see if the timing belt on the V8 has been done already. If not, I'd probably wait until 120k miles or so to do it. I think at that mileage, when taken out, it will look alright if it hasn't been used for towing or stressed.

The re-sale value will also probably be a bit higher as well as the demand due to the rarity as V8 4Runner's are no longer made.

I would definitely go for the V6. the power from the V8 to me isnt enough to justify versus the gas sucking it will do over time. sure its a lexus engine, that also makes the engine bay that more cramped, and complicated.

I considered both and decided on the V8 based on smoothness and ease of power. I also had the V8 in two tundras and knew it was rock solid.

Ultimately after all the research and test drives I didn't buy one. Right around those years the transmission and interiors changed. That might be worth looking into. The 5 speed auto was a nice upgrade from the 4 speed.

...coulda had a V8! I think the toyota V8 design is world class. If actual vehicle condition was identical i would pick the V8. I think you will see the same MPG under light footed driving. The V8 may have been driven gentler since it makes great torque down low.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I considered both and decided on the V8 based on smoothness and ease of power. I also had the V8 in two tundras and knew it was rock solid.

Ultimately after all the research and test drives I didn't buy one. Right around those years the transmission and interiors changed. That might be worth looking into. The 5 speed auto was a nice upgrade from the 4 speed.

The 4R was redesigned for the 2003 model year. The V8 had the 5 speed from the beginning, while the V6 switched from the 4speed to the 5 speed in 2005.

Last edited:
Is a Four Runner a good choice for a first vehicle? Distraction and over confidence of a 4WD system, plus the poor handling dynamics of an SUV would make me reconsider for a new driver.

Ignore the engine, just look which vehicle is in the best shape. Check for maintenance record, previous accidents, any missed recalls, etc. However, I assume V8 would be nicer if you intend to tow something heavy.

Originally Posted By: whip
Is a Four Runner a good choice for a first vehicle? Distraction and over confidence of a 4WD system, plus the poor handling dynamics of an SUV would make me reconsider for a new driver.

Depends...

My brother has a V8 4Runner, and IIRC the V8's were kinda highly optioned: ABS, VSC, full time 4WD, etc. I don't know if the V6 models got the same level of nannies. If the driver is immature, well they will get in over their head no matter what, but good point though.

I would get the V6 (assuming they're both in good condition) for these reasons that already been mentioned: timing chain, bit better mpg, cheaper to insure, maybe easier to resell in the future when the gas is $5+ per gallon. Your son might not notice (or need) the extra torque and power.

If either has the 4 speed trans, it would probably have a dipstick. I think they got rid of the dipstick with the 5 speed.

Tough call. The V8 would be nice but 2004 might be before they got the boost in power (from 240hp to 280 or so). If its the 240hp V8 not as big of a power difference from the V6. Also has the timing belt issue, which im not a fan of.

I think id like part time 4wd better than full time, though ive never had either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back