Help Selecting a Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am searching for best full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil that offers maximum possible protection for my engine. I would like to get 300,000 miles out of the engine.

Cost is not an issue so disregard price of oil when making a recommendation.

Vehicle: 2009 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 with a 4.7 V8
Mileage: 40,000
Oil: Full synthetic 5W-30
Oil capacity including filter: 7 Quarts
Oil filter used: Mobil 1 modal M1-209
Oil and oil filter change interval: 5000 miles

Additional equipment: 2 x FilterMag RA300 magnets attached to either side of the oil filter.

Driving conditions: 40% city and 60% highway. Short trips less than 4 miles from a cold start are common. Long trips are usually no more than 20 miles one way. I rarely encounter stop and go traffic and do not let the engine idle for prolong periods of time. Engine idle at stop lights is typical.

There are lots of hills where I live so I am either driving up a hill or down a hill. Yearly temperature averages from 36 F to 90 F where I live. I am light on the throttle, rarely spinning the engine above 2500 RPM. I do not tow a trailer and I do not take the 4runner off road.

Synthetic oils I am considering listed in no particular order:

Eneos 5W-30
Eneos Sustina 5W-30
Motul 8100 Eco 5W-30
Lubrication Engineers 8531 5W-30
Red Line 5W-30
Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W-30
Idemitsu 5W-30
Amsoil XL 5W-30
Amsoil ASL 5W-30
Mobil 1 5W-30
Mobil 1 Extended 5W-30
Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30

Your insight is greatly appreciated, and of course, feel free to suggest an oil if it’s not listed above.

Pick up some Mobil 1 5w-30 at Walmart and call it a day. No need to go overboard with the other oils that are much harder to find. M1 is up to the task and has a massive following.

Any approved oil when changed at the appropriate interval should see you to 300K. Historically, Toyota engines are very durable and last seemingly forever. Aside from the M1 (and that could be questioned as well and I realize that you said cost is no object) but all of these oils will go far past 5K and most of them are fairly expensive.

Any OTC synthetic or synthetic blend would serve you well, so Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol Edge, etc. would be on my short list (if synthetics must be selected). The key term that you have in your post is "maximum possible protection"; how do you define this and protection from what?
P.S...
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Oil quality is only part of the equation to engine longevity.

Others including (but not limited solely to): proper tune up, proper(high quality, OEM) air filter, proper PCV maintenance, conservative OCI, etc.

Once you manage to observe all these, I wouldn't doubt that your engine is going to easily last beyond 200k or more.

Q.

You are not towing and you are not off roading...why the super expensive oils. Just because something costs more does not ALWAYS equal better. In your case conventional oil would get you a long long way but any major brand syn would be more than adequate. M1, Edge, Synpower or the SOPUS oils like QSUD (awesome and reasonable) PP. You have a 7qt Sump so plenty of fresh oil in that engine. M1 0w30 is another good choice.

Originally Posted By: TwoCan
I am searching for best full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil that offers maximum possible protection for my engine. I would like to get 300,000 miles out of the engine.

You could get that out of any conventional on the shelf. A synthetic won't make the engine last longer. The oil might last longer, but with your particular OCI, that's not an issue.

If you're not buying based on price, you're not extending OCIs, and we know that any oil meeting the specifications will get you as far as you want to go, there's not much help we can offer.

If you're looking for an oil that's going to perform much "better" than other oils when you're not really asking a lot from them, you're not going to find one. There's no magic bullet to make engines last forever and you're certainly not taxing the oil.

I can get 300k with conventional oil easily. Those fancy oils aren't going to get you anything that a standard Mobil or Pennzoil will. But its your money.

When looking at oil specifications, besides the viscosity grade, what is the order of importance of the fallowing specs?
Viscosity Index
HTHS
Flash Point
Pour Point

When looking at oil specifications, besides the viscosity grade, what is the order of importance of the fallowing specs?

You really know how to open a can of worms.
wink.gif
HTHS is important, but if you're choosing an ILSAC rated 5w-30, it'll be much the same, regardless of choice. The only time you'll really see a thicker 5w-30 (as in higher HTHS) is if you're looking at a 5w-30 HDEO or a 5w-30 A3/B3 A3/B4 European oil.

For VI, it depends upon who you ask. I don't hunt for high VI oils, but I do pay attention to the spec and I'd ignore low VI oils - i.e. there's little reason to pay attention to 10w-30 or monogrades these days in average gasoline applications.

I wouldn't worry much about flash point, unless a synthetic shows a much lower flash point than other competitive synthetics. We don't usually see problems there. Pour point can usually be ignored; it has limited significance. Given my climate, I'd be more inclined to pay attention to cold cranking type specifications than pour point. I've seen 15w-40 grades with pour points below -40. That doesn't mean I want to be cranking with that in the sump at that temperature.

For a 5000 mile OCI, use any quality name brand conventional oil in the recommended grade and a good quality filter. If the vehicle doesn't last you 300,000 miles, it's not because of the oil.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Pick up some Mobil 1 5w-30 at Walmart and call it a day. No need to go overboard with the other oils that are much harder to find. M1 is up to the task and has a massive following.

Huh?
Why even bother with synthetic at 5000 mile intervals? Any of today's rconventionals are capable of 5000 mile intervals so why spend more with no return on the extra expense.
Synthetic oils aren't magic. They are formulated with longer drains in mind. If running such a short interval there is no point whatsoever in spending more for a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Garak

You could get that out of any conventional on the shelf. A synthetic won't make the engine last longer. The oil might last longer, but with your particular OCI, that's not an issue.

If you're not buying based on price, you're not extending OCIs, and we know that any oil meeting the specifications will get you as far as you want to go, there's not much help we can offer.

If you're looking for an oil that's going to perform much "better" than other oils when you're not really asking a lot from them, you're not going to find one. There's no magic bullet to make engines last forever and you're certainly not taxing the oil.

And that about covers it. The engine isn't being asked of much from the original posts description nor is it going very far so there is no reason to spend more money on an oil that achieves nothing better in performance and protection for the miles driven

I am using PYB for around 10K OCI's in a F150 FX4 no problems at all.

I use my truck as a truck also in one of the hottest places in the United States. I do not buy into the whole "conventional" and "synthetic" labeling on the bottle. I go and purchase what is on sale that meets the manufactures engine specifications and then forget it.

Sorry if/when my truck engine dies it will not be because of motor oil.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I do not buy into the whole "conventional" and "synthetic" labeling on the bottle. I go and purchase what is on sale that meets the manufactures engine specifications and then forget it.

Seems to be the most reasonable post in this thread.

The manufacturer tested with the specified oil (whatever spec that would be ... API, Ford WS). As long as you use an oil that meets those specs (conventional / syn, doesn't matter), you will be safe for the recommended interval.

I would have no problems running up to 7500 in my Focus on a conventional that meets ford's spec for 5w-20 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back